2 weeks boating in my electric boat

peterboat

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Will people need boilers repairing in the near future?

Two points:

1) Until they turn the gas off, the 20 million gas boilers currently in use will probably still need fixing.

2) Most of my income derives from fixing electric boilers. People hate them by-and-large as so expensive to run, but are trapped into having to have them by no gas supply in new build flats. A burgeoning market for me.

Bring on the revolution!!

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Two points:

1) Until they turn the gas off, the 20 million gas boilers currently in use will probably still need fixing.

2) Most of my income derives from fixing electric boilers. People hate them by-and-large as so expensive to run, but are trapped into having to have them by no gas supply in new build flats. A burgeoning market for me.

Bring on the revolution!!

These were my findings many years ago when I worked for the leccy board. Lots of new Corpy flats (high rise) had no gas even then and people were forced into outrageously expensive electric heating. A lot of our time was spent cutting supplies off as the new tenants couldn't afford to keep warm.

9 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I saw an item on the local news where new builds where being built with piped hot water from their energy company to heat and provide domestic hot water for all the houses on the estate.

These are known as "district heating" schemes and have been around since the 60s but never taken off. Fraught with problems, one of which is reliably metering the hot water people use. So far, no-one has managed it, amazingly.

So eventually the metering gets turned OFF then people keep the heating on full blast and regulate it by opening windows. Or so I understand from colleagues in the industry who have been involved with them. No personal experience, other than attending one once where the customer insisted they had no boiler but the heating didn't work. They were right! 

1 minute ago, catweasel said:

These were my findings many years ago when I worked for the leccy board. Lots of new Corpy flats (high rise) had no gas even then and people were forced into outrageously expensive electric heating. A lot of our time was spent cutting supplies off as the new tenants couldn't afford to keep warm.

With more and more leccy being produced by free wind power and free sun, can we expect leccy costs to plummet in future?

Excellent!!

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

These are known as "district heating" schemes and have been around since the 60s but never taken off. Fraught with problems, one of which is reliably metering the hot water people use. So far, no-one has managed it, amazingly.

So eventually the metering gets turned OFF then people keep the heating on full blast and regulate it by opening windows. Or so I understand from colleagues in the industry who have been involved with them. No personal experience, other than attending one once where the customer insisted they had no boiler but the heating didn't work. They were right! 

With more and more leccy being produced by free wind power and free sun, can we expect leccy costs to plummet in future?

Excellent!!

Yes I know what district heating us. The two Waitrose Stirling engine projects i was involved in were supposed to sell the surplus heat to new build sites, but the builders couldn't be convinced!

A large-scale move to electric heating will put even more pressure on the National Grid unless its capacity is seriously increased.

1 hour ago, Flyboy said:

No single Tesla S has done 10,000 charging cycles.  10,000 cycles equates to recharging everyday for approx 28 years. You seem to think I'm against the technology, I'm not, it's just not proven technology yet.

And yet they have done half a million miles since 2014 with no new batteries, you just dont like that your life will be forced to change, me I except it because the alternative is we become the coal and oil of a different race when we are extinct

8 minutes ago, peterboat said:

And yet they have done half a million miles since 2014 with no new batteries, you just dont like that your life will be forced to change, me I except it because the alternative is we become the coal and oil of a different race when we are extinct

Battery life is one reason why taxi drivers like the Toyota Prius.

Many long distance trucks do 100,000 miles per year in the UK. The intercontinental ones do even more.

Be interesting to see if the batteries meet the manufacturers predictions.

31 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

What is your estimate for when that crossover will happen?

You really do shoot yourself in the foot with comments like that. It demeans proper argument and debate.

Quicker than we think some car makers are planning dropping ICE from the range by 2025 so whilst people might want them the car makers dont want to produce two types of tech, its far to expensive and with all the collaboration going on between car makers the electric car tech is galloping forward and ICE teck is responding to clean air regs, because they know it wasted money.

As for stupid people its true, every year you read about them see them on the news stuck in snow drifts by storms that we all knew about, same for flooding both cars and boats. If the car is programmed to keep its occupants safe they wont travel if its not safe to do so, win win for all the safety services

11 minutes ago, peterboat said:

you just dont like that your life will be forced to change

Peter, this is a very unpleasant schtick you are bringing on here. No-one has said they "don't like it", people are just commenting on how they see things. It is YOU putting words in people's mouths. 

I guess you are picking it up  from the Brexit thread. Please leave it back there where it belongs. Many thanks....

2 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Battery life is one reason why taxi drivers like the Toyota Prius.

Many long distance trucks do 100,000 miles per year in the UK. The intercontinental ones do even more.

Be interesting to see if the batteries meet the manufacturers predictions.

My Honda Insight is a case in question for long battery life some have done 400k on the original packs! but to be honest it takes work

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Peter, this is a very unpleasant schtick you are bringing on here. No-one has said they "don't like it", people are just commenting on how they see things. It is YOU putting words in people's mouths. 

I guess you are picking it up  from the Brexit thread. Please leave it back there where it belongs. Many thanks....

Sorry Mike you are right, however their is massive uncalled for resistance to change which if we are to survive as a race we will have to do.

In the recent past my cars have been XK8, SRTV8, shelby mustang, Dodge Ram, 6 litre XJ-S and Corvette ZR1 all with very large powerful engines! Now I have 2 x Honda hybrids and an electric mega truck, thats change for you same with my boats both electric, instead of resisting change I have embraced it because we dont really have a choice

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Murflynn said:

On a slightly different topic, how will the masses who park their car in the street in the nearest available space, which is sometimes a few doors down from where they live, manage to charge their vehicles, and even if parked in allocated slots outside their own house how will the charging leads be protected where they cross the pavement?   Will we see overhead gantries poking out from terraced houses over the pavement, dropping the lead down to the car?

https://www.ubitricity.co.uk/residential_charging/how-to-charge/

iu.jpeg

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

Sorry Mike you are right, however their is massive uncalled for resistance to change which if we are to survive as a race we will have to do.

I should perhaps have PMed you rather than posting it on here, but thank you for accepting my point.  I quite understand your frustration with the dog-in-the-manger resistance of some here, but a lot of us just see some rather large difficulties to overcome, and not all of us are convinced that 'every little helps" is actually all that valuable in saving the human race unless some major strides forward are also taken with aviation, manufacturing and farming CO2 output. 

2 minutes ago, peterboat said:

In the recent past my cars have been XK8, SRTV8, shelby mustang, Dodge Ram, 6 litre XJ-S and Corvette ZR1 all with very large powerful engines! Now I have 2 x Honda hybrids and an electric mega truck, thats change for you same with my boats both electric, instead of resisting change I have embraced it because we dont really have a choice

But there is a choice at the moment....and I’m happily choosing diesel! I’m guessing that I just might have electric road transportation before water....but choice is the key....keeping  prattling on and preaching just puts people’s backs up. 

Electric might work for you for boat & car but it’s far from ready or practical for me and many others. 

2 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

All this talk of climate change destroying life on Earth makes me wonder how it's survived 4 billion years with such a delicate 'knife edge' ecosystem. 

We wernt using coal and oil maybe?

4 minutes ago, frangar said:

But there is a choice at the moment....and I’m happily choosing diesel! I’m guessing that I just might have electric road transportation before water....but choice is the key....keeping  prattling on and preaching just puts people’s backs up. 

Electric might work for you for boat & car but it’s far from ready or practical for me and many others. 

I get that which is why I thought the fuel that formula e is using for its generators is a step forward until we have things sorted out in the electric world

1 minute ago, frangar said:

The thing is, people build their lives around the resources available an switching to electric travel means some very fundamental changes, not easily made. Change job or move house for some people is one that is obvious, once ICE cars can no longer be used. A complete change in the way of doing business from having sales reps on the road is another. These changes will be incremental and marginal but they will accumulate. 

Similarly with boating. The boaters who get their fun from boating 28 hours a day will have to give up boating once diesel ceases to be available on the cut. Anyone wanting to boat will need to develop ways to do it using solar and work within its limitations. Explore and push the envelope. 

Whether or not you accept or agree with these changes is not really relevant as the politicians are making them anyway. They won't make any difference to the Big Problem of global warming but console yourself with the thought that "every little helps".

8 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

All this talk of climate change destroying life on Earth makes me wonder how it's survived 4 billion years with such a delicate 'knife edge' ecosystem. 

It got married to the industrial revolution 200 years ago and it all went down hill from there ?

Imagine a world of EVs and someone coming up with an alternative, ICE vehicles, naysayers would point to the complicated infrastructure required, fuelling stations everywhere kept supplied with lorries belching diesel fumes. Vehicles would need frequent oil changes, complicated engine management systems and a complex arrangement of clutches and gears to transmit power to the wheels. It will never happen. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

Imagine a world of EVs and someone coming up with an alternative, ICE vehicles, naysayers would point to the complicated infrastructure required, fuelling stations everywhere kept supplied with lorries belching diesel fumes. Vehicles would need frequent oil changes, complicated engine management systems and a complex arrangement of clutches and gears to transmit power to the wheels. It will never happen. 

Brilliant

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The thing is, people build their lives around the resources available an switching to electric travel means some very fundamental changes, not easily made. Change job or move house for some people is one that is obvious, once ICE cars can no longer be used. A complete change in the way of doing business from having sales reps on the road is another. These changes will be incremental and marginal but they will accumulate. 

Similarly with boating. The boaters who get their fun from boating 28 hours a day will have to give up boating once diesel ceases to be available on the cut. Anyone wanting to boat will need to develop ways to do it using solar and work within its limitations. Explore and push the envelope. 

Whether or not you accept or agree with these changes is not really relevant as the politicians are making them anyway. They won't make any difference to the Big Problem of global warming but console yourself with the thought that "every little helps".

I suspect I will long gone before this affects me....and I’m not going to stress about giving up my boat anytime soon unless the tree huggers & dogooders decide to go for an easy target...as said at the start of this thread air travel should be banned first. 

While people are allowed to reproduce as they wish anything else is just masking the true cause of too many people on a small planet. 

• Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

No but temperature and CO2 were much higher and everything thrived. 

We can only solve our problems if we create them in the first place. 

The science denying flat earth carp gets real old real quick

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Is that really the case?

No but Mr Innisfree is a science denyer and we've had this conversation with him before