2 weeks boating in my electric boat

peterboat

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, StephenA said:

But where will the incentive to make this EV technology available to canal boaters?

Take this article

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48956000

The cost of installing a ex Tesla drive train into a classic car is £20,000 or more

That's the whole thing that bothers me about all of this - yes the technology is available or will be available soon, but the implementation costs and the infrastructure costs are prohibitive - the market isn't exactly large after all so economies of scale just wont apply.

Don't forget that Richard's £20k figure also includes the restoration of the classic car. I know that he has built/converted cars for a lot less.

1 hour ago, StephenA said:

and how much did the batteries cost? How long did it take to install?

Ten batteries at £250 each luckily I got that for my engine and box I also had a lot of solar already, my first 4 batteries for domestic cost more though 

6 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I often do 200 miles and more. Has anyone done a GENUINE test on one of these 200 mile range cars yet????? In january, freezing weather with rain? Heater on, blower on, HRW on, air con on to stop misting, headlights and wipers on full time?? Somehow I doubt it.

The problem is you like your old bangers that are as cheap as chips to buy, you'll not get a 200+ mile car for a grand. :P

You can now get cars that do almost 300 real world miles for about £30 grand. The Kona (270 RWMs) came out last year but they are sold out for the rest of this year and the little Zoe 3rd gen is coming out soon which is a 245 real world miles probbly at about £20 grand. 

https://www.hyundai.co.uk/new-cars/kona-electric

11 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

So can any car use these? Or not?

Well they could if the other manufacturers were not so bloody small minded. Tesla from the start offered to let others use them but they would have to help with the costs proportional to use. Also other cars would have to except a high charge rate and not sit there for hours while charging, plus they would need an adapter.

Tesla was the first to offer and build out a network of charging stations when no standard existed but no one wanted to go along with that plan although the offer is still open.

As to the signage nothing wrong with publicity and every garage has a sign up.

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Blimey you you really can't just look at the map and plan a long journey based on charger locations? You have to make sure the chargers are compatible with your car?

What an amazing fkkup.

Enter the end point of your journey and Tesla will point you when and where to charge. No thinking needed. And in Europe you can get an adapter for a Tesla to use I believe any charge point.

Edited by jakk
Add an extra tidbit.
  • Greenie 1

11 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes I do wonder if EVs are a blind alley. Technology has a habit of throwing up solutions to a problem that come from a totally different direction. 

Barking up the wrong tree. It is looking like gasoline and diesel power was a blind alley! So you are almost right. ?

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, jakk said:

Barking up the wrong tree. It is looking like gasoline and diesel power was a blind alley! So you are almost right. ?

I agree. Fossil fuels have been amazing for 100 years and are one of the foundations of our engineering achievements so far. Now burning them threatens the future of our environment so we HAVE to stop using them.

The solution is NOT to carry on burning fossil fuels in power stations to run our electric cars though. EVs are a clumsy improvement at best unless we get zero CO2 electricity generation established worldwide. Unless that happens, you and me buying an EV is pissing into the wind, however much you make smart-arse comments about blind alleys. 

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I agree. Fossil fuels have been amazing for 100 years and are one of the foundations of our engineering achievements so far. Now burning them threatens the future of our environment so we HAVE to stop using them.

The solution is NOT to carry on burning fossil fuels in power stations to run our electric cars though. EVs are a clumsy improvement at best unless we get zero CO2 electricity generation established worldwide. Unless that happens, you and me buying an EV is pissing into the wind, however much you make smart-arse comments about blind alleys. 

Mike it all helps and the reality is car makers will drop ICE cars once electric cars become the norm, and that is coming rapidly

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

Mike it all helps

It all helps but it is NOT ENOUGH.

You are fooling yourself if you think fiddling about at the margins will make any difference. Emissions from shipping, aviation, steel manufacture all dwarf CO2 from our boats and cars.

• Greenie 2

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

It all helps but it is NOT ENOUGH.

You are fooling yourself if you think fiddling about at the margins will make any difference. Emissions from shipping, aviation, steel manufacture all dwarf CO2 from our boats and cars.

Mike nothing is instant in this life, it always takes time, so with luck it will happen in time if not you and I will die of old age, the younger ones are in deep do dah

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Mike nothing is instant in this life, it always takes time, so with luck it will happen in time if not you and I will die of old age, the younger ones are in deep do dah

Agreed. Unless we stop pissing about with EVs and solve the shipping, aviation and steel manufacturing CO2 output FIRST, our kids are fcuked. 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Agreed. Unless we stop pissing about with EVs and solve the shipping, aviation and steel manufacturing CO2 output FIRST, our kids are fcuked. 

You had better get cracking on a solution then because according to you a start if it doesn't solve the problem instantly is not worth anything. Just for your info not all electric power for EV's comes from burning fossil fuel and every day it is less and less.

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Mike you have a van and your concern is how you with your lifestyle would charge it other than public charging points, its a valid point unfortunately you are in the minority, most big companies will have chargers for their vans so that is what they are bothered about, not the likes of you and I.

i have taken steps to solve my charging issues you would have to do the same

• Greenie 1

I agree with Mike that switching to EVs alone is not enough and it does feel rather like pissing in the wind.

There is not one single thing that will solve the climate emergency problem so it's no good saying "X is a waste of time, we need to stop doing Y as that is a bigger problem".

Yes, we need to stop using fossil fuels for our own personal transportation, which is why I am in favour of switching to EVs as they use less, albeit not zero depending on the generation mix.

But we also need to stop flying, stop going on cruise ships, stop buying stuff shipped half way round the world, stop buying landfill tat, eat much much less meat (especially beef and lamb), have a much more plant-based diet, stop heating our homes and offices with fossil fuels, stop cutting down Brazilian forests, stop electing people like Donald Chump and lots more besides. It just goes on and on.

Some of this is starting to happen slowly. Some of it there is little or no sign of yet. I expect these things will start to accelerate eventually but only when it becomes blindingly obvious to everyone, including the afore mentioned Chump and his ilk, that the human race is to blame. Unfortunately, by then it will probably be too late and we will a!ready be into runaway climate change that will ultimately result in extinction of our species and probably most others as well.

It may already be too late.

I think it probably is.

But that doesn't mean we should give up. Whilst there's still life there's still hope so I will continue to try to do my bit.

I reduce/re-use/recycle.

I do not fly.

I try to reduce unnecessary car journeys and try to drive with a light right foot.

I don't light my stove in the middle of August, no need, I have additional layers of clothing I can put on.I

I don't overheat my (reasonably) well-insulated house

I have solar panels so I can minimise engine running on non-cruising days.

I try to eat less meat. Especially beef and lamb.

And so on.

I admit I don't do enough of the above. I need to do better. But it's a start and I am trying.

Sadly though, I think it will all ultimately prove to be futile and the human race has totally screwed itself. It probably won't be our generation that pays the price though, it will be our children and their children, and there will be much pain and suffering along the way.

But looking on the bright side, the sun is out after a miserable non-cruising rainy day yesterday, so I can go cruising today and burn up some more fossil fuel along the way. But I will only do 2 or 3 hours and I will keep the revs down. Every little helps I suppose.

Happy daze.

• Greenie 4

32 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

I agree with Mike that switching to EVs alone is not enough and it does feel rather like pissing in the wind.

There is not one single thing that will solve the climate emergency problem so it's no good saying "X is a waste of time, we need to stop doing Y as that is a bigger problem".

Yes, we need to stop using fossil fuels for our own personal transportation, which is why I am in favour of switching to EVs as they use less, albeit not zero depending on the generation mix.

But we also need to stop flying, stop going on cruise ships, stop buying stuff shipped half way round the world, stop buying landfill tat, eat much much less meat (especially beef and lamb), have a much more plant-based diet, stop heating our homes and offices with fossil fuels, stop cutting down Brazilian forests, stop electing people like Donald Chump and lots more besides. It just goes on and on.

Some of this is starting to happen slowly. Some of it there is little or no sign of yet. I expect these things will start to accelerate eventually but only when it becomes blindingly obvious to everyone, including the afore mentioned Chump and his ilk, that the human race is to blame. Unfortunately, by then it will probably be too late and we will a!ready be into runaway climate change that will ultimately result in extinction of our species and probably most others as well.

I think it probably is.

But that doesn't mean we should give up. Whilst there's still life there's still hope so I will continue to try to do my bit.

I reduce/re-use/recycle.

I do not fly.

I try to reduce unnecessary car journeys and try to drive with a light right foot.

I don't light my stove in the middle of August, no need, I have additional layers of clothing I can put on.I

And so on.

I admit I don't do enough of the above. I need to do better. But it's a start and I am trying.

Sadly though, I think it will all ultimately prove to be futile and the human race has totally screwed itself. It probably won't be our generation that pays the price though, it will be our children and their children, and there will be much pain and suffering along the way.

But looking on the bright side, the sun is out after a miserable non-cruising rainy day yesterday, so I can go cruising today and burn up some more fossil fuel along the way. But I will only do 2 or 3 hours and I will keep the revs down. Every little helps I suppose.

Happy daze.

I have done the same both our cars are hybrids, my local journeys are done slowly in the electric mega truck that is charged from the sun, I have cut out journeys in the cars that arnt needed, I burn wood where possible and my electric boat is as self sufficient as possible.

I also support the planting of trees in large numbers they are possibly our best chance to save the human race on top of the measures you have indicated

Virtual greenie by the way

Edited by peterboat

49 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

I think it probably is.

I reduce/re-use/recycle.

I do not fly.

And so on.

Happy daze.

You pretty much summarise how I see it too. To read peterboat and jakk writing you would think EVs are the fix for everything!

The two of them totally misunderstand my thoughts on the issue of CO2 and I do not oppose switching to EVs, I just think doing it is making the problem worse a little less quickly, rather than improving the situation. I am saying the same as you, the elephants in the room you mention need addressing far more urgently. Concentrating on switching to EVs is little more thn displacement activity which makes us feel better, but in the big scheme of things will make no difference.

Like you, I think it is already too late.

15 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You pretty much summarise how I see it too. To read peterboat and jakk writing you would think EVs are the fix for everything!

The two of them totally misunderstand my thoughts on the issue of CO2 and I do not oppose switching to EVs, I just think doing it is making the problem worse a little less quickly, rather than improving the situation. I am saying the same as you, the elephants in the room you mention need addressing far more urgently. Concentrating on switching to EVs is little more thn displacement activity which makes us feel better, but in the big scheme of things will make no difference.

Like you, I think it is already too late.

I dont Mike I think they are a beginning, the other thing is getting rid of diesels gets rid of local pollution like NOX which is a problem in itself. The thing is we have the start somewhere so for me I have made that start, if other follow suit it will get to the point when the people that couldnt care less will have to change, because the fuel for their vehicle will be to expensive or not available! and its possibel that parts to repair the engines etc wont be available either, so ICEs die by natural causes beyond the control of the owners

Mike, I'm pretty much in agreement with you on EVs I think, although perhaps a little bit more positive. They are still fairly insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Saying that though, when I'm stuck in a traffic jam on the motorway I would feel more comfortable if the hundreds of vehicles I could see around me were EVs powered by electricity generated from 50% (hopefully) or more non-fossil fuel and they would not be pumping out CO2 etc whilst they sat there going nowhere, or creeping along stop/start at 5mph.

I think they are worth switching to but not if it means scrapping an existing car when you take whole of life carbon footprints into account. I'm hoping that by the time my car needs scrapping EVs with 200+ mile real world ranges will be cheaper and easier to obtain but I think that's still a few years away yet.

The other benefit EVs have for towns and cities is that much of the pollution is shifted away from areas where it does the most harm.

22 minutes ago, peterboat said:

the other thing is getting rid of diesels gets rid of local pollution like NOX which is a problem in itself.

19 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

The other benefit EVs have for towns and cities is that much of the pollution is shifted away from areas where it does the most harm.

Now this is where we differ.  My view is that neither of these things matter if global warming from CO2 isn't fixed as a priority. 

By all means fiddle about moving the CO2 emissions around and reducing NOX, SOX and all the rest. It does no harm. In the meantime Rome is burning, figuratively speaking.

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

I have done the same both our cars are hybrids, my local journeys are done slowly in the electric mega truck that is charged from the sun, I have cut out journeys in the cars that arnt needed, I burn wood where possible and my electric boat is as self sufficient as possible.

I also support the planting of trees in large numbers they are possibly our best chance to save the human race on top of the measures you have indicated

Virtual greenie by the way

Apparently Hemp is much better than trees

https://www.forbes.com/sites/natalieparletta/2019/06/28/could-hemp-be-the-next-big-thing-in-sustainable-cotton-fuel-wood-and-plastic/#6162329721c2

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Now this is where we differ.  My view is that neither of these things matter if global warming from CO2 isn't fixed as a priority. 

By all means fiddle about moving the CO2 emissions around and reducing NOX, SOX and all the rest. It does no harm. In the meantime Rome is burning, figuratively speaking.

I'm not saying it's important from a global warming perspective but from that of pollution in populated areas.

I suspect many people who live near busy roads would disagree that it doesn't matter.

In the long term it may not matter as we're probably all fooked anyway but it matters in the meantime.

20 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

I'm not saying it's important from a global warming perspective but from that of pollution in populated areas.

20 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

In the long term it may not matter as we're probably all fooked anyway

Its these two statements I struggle to reconcile. Given the second is true, why would the first matter?

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Its these two statements I struggle to reconcile. Given the second is true, why would the first matter?

Because most of the people affected by pollution would not agree with the 2nd statement.

Even if they did they would no doubt prefer it if they and their children were not poisoned in the meantime. I know I would.

Edited by Lily Rose
  • Greenie 1