2 weeks boating in my electric boat

peterboat

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

So an order of magnitude above lithium by weight. How about by volume? Sounds very promising for EV use as range will jump from 50 miles to 500 miles.

The prototype is saw in the 1980's was a 100kW and about the same footprint as the 100kW generator they were showing it would replace. 

Apparently it had a shelf life of 25 years and once activated could kW for 12 hours.

Thereafter it was swapped out and recycled (one electrode was a porous tube with air pumped into it, the other was pure aluminium, which gradually dissolved into an alkaline electrolyte).

I think modern versions use aluminium alloys and oxygen reduction reaction catalysts for the other electrode, so no nasty alkaline sloshing about in the event of an accident.

11 minutes ago, Onionman said:

Graphene power storage anyone? Not all technologies are based on current battery types.

Apparently graphene based batteries will have an  energy density of 1000 w/kg, so a long way to go to match the theoretical maximum of an aluminium air battery.

https://futurism.com/scientists-develop-better-battery-thanks-graphene

12 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes I do wonder if EVs are a blind alley. Technology has a habit of throwing up solutions to a problem that come from a totally different direction. 

And of  course car manufacturers get everyone to buy into a new technology before bringing out another, and another to milk the customer and maximise their profits.

Shades of LP's, cassettes, DAT, CD's, MP3 downloads eh? ?

Cynical, moi? ?

13 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Apparently graphene based batteries will have an  energy density of 1000 w/kg, so a long way to go to match the theoretical maximum of an aluminium air battery.

https://futurism.com/scientists-develop-better-battery-thanks-graphene

You're comparing the measured energy density of a particular graphene-based battery with the theoretical maximum of aluminium-air.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Free charging for life will probably turn out to be a really good deal I think. Is that still the case?

There has to be some benefit to buying a car that is £50k overpriced. 

\

Free for life deals seem mostly to end in tears.

Edited by Mike Todd
Typo
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Mike Todd said:

Free for life deals seem mostly to end in tears.

Free for life of what, too?

Free for the life of the purchaser? Or free for the life of the car?

And still free once the Govt introduces Propulsion Duty onto electricity used for car charging?

32 minutes ago, Onionman said:

You're comparing the measured energy density of a particular graphene-based battery with the theoretical maximum of aluminium-air.

I dont think anyone is currently using graphene batteries but aluminium air batteries in military use are currently delivering energy densities of of 1500 - 2500 w/kg. Cost seems to be the main issue to their widespread acceptance.

Edited by cuthound
To unmangle the effects of autocorrect.

On 12/08/2019 at 22:06, mrsmelly said:

Peter is fine, he can take the flak. I think its great he finds an electric boat suits his purpose. However for every one person that electric only boats suit there are 99 that like  myself they would be useless for. I would love to be all electric but the technology is simply many many years away yet to make it viable for myself and the majority.

Agree with all of that except the underlined part. I think that the technology is there, but too expensive yet. It will be available much quicker than we think providing the need exists. 

1 hour ago, Onionman said:

I'd love to see the evidence you have for that. Luddites of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your diesel

And I'd like to see your evidence that that the present generation of electricity is going to cope with the extra demand.  Nothing to lose, you are joking of course. Only short journeys are possible for one example.

13 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

And I'd like to see your evidence that that the present generation of electricity is going to cope with the extra demand.  Nothing to lose, you are joking of course. Only short journeys are possible for one example.

I've made no claim. I'm just doubtful of yours. That's the basis of scepticism.

You're the one making a claim (that "When there's no wind... the existing power stations won't be able to cope with demand). It's your job to provide the evidence.

Edited by Onionman

5 minutes ago, Onionman said:

I've made no claim. I'm just doubtful of yours. That's the basis of scepticism.

You're the one making a claim (that "When there's no wind... the existing power stations won't be able to cope with demand). It's your job to provide the evidence.

What about the widespread power cuts last week when a wind farm and a gas powered station went offline within a couple of minutes of each other?  There didn't seem to be much resilience in the system.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, davem399 said:

What about the widespread power cuts last week when a wind farm and a gas powered station went offline within a couple of minutes of each other?  There didn't seem to be much resilience in the system.

What about it? I'm interested how that proves that when there's no wind... the existing power stations won't be able to cope with demand.

• Greenie 1

45 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Only short journeys are possible for one example.

Not true.

Depends how you define short but most new models of EV coming out now have real world ranges of over 200 miles. Granted that doesn't mean VERY long journeys can be done non-stop but it hardly means only short journeys are possible.

Apart from that, it is a fact that the vast majority of car journeys are short. If you were to claim, for example, that you do a round trip of 500 miles three times a week that would not disprove that fact. All it would do is show that EVs are not currently appropriate for you.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Onionman said:

good point.

graphene can be the thickness of a thin film - it is the surface area that counts, not the mass. 

I read that there is a suggestion that all the surfaces in a graphene-powered car will be covered by a very thin film (molecular thickness?) including the body, the upholstery, etc.  .......................................  it may yet be the salvation of the EV.

19 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Not true.

Depends how you define short but most new models of EV coming out now have real world ranges of over 200 miles. Granted that doesn't mean VERY long journeys can be done non-stop but it hardly means only short journeys are possible.

Apart from that, it is a fact that the vast majority of car journeys are short. If you were to claim, for example, that you do a round trip of 500 miles three times a week that would not disprove that fact. All it would do is show that EVs are not currently appropriate for you.

6 minutes ago, Onionman said:

Here's Quentin Willson driving a Tesla model 3 on a journey from London to Stratford-upon-Avon and back on a charge. At 70-75 mph.

Neil has a model S p100d he drives to London twice a week uses the superchargers which are free for the life of the car, as yet he hasnt paid for the fuel that powers his car!! So when someone comes up with a better car than that I am sure he will buy one, but as they probably are the best electric cars made it wont be any time soon

25 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Neil has a model S p100d he drives to London twice a week uses the superchargers which are free for the life of the car, as yet he hasnt paid for the fuel that powers his car!! So when someone comes up with a better car than that I am sure he will buy one, but as they probably are the best electric cars made it wont be any time soon

Yes Tesla's are a technological marvel. It is such a pity they cost so much, and thus are unaffordable to the vast majority of the motoring population.

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/inventory/new/ms

Edited by cuthound

7 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Yes Tesla's are a technological marvel. It is such a pity they cost so much, and thus are unaffordable to the vast majority of the motoring population.

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/inventory/new/ms

I wouldnt buy a new one but secondhand model s can be bought for 25k and less and they have free supercharging

1 hour ago, Lily Rose said:

Not true.

I often do 200 miles and more. Has anyone done a GENUINE test on one of these 200 mile range cars yet????? In january, freezing weather with rain? Heater on, blower on, HRW on, air con on to stop misting, headlights and wipers on full time?? Somehow I doubt it.

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I wouldnt buy a new one but secondhand model s can be bought for 25k and less and they have free supercharging

Still too expensive for most people I think at £50k-75k.

Think how much diesel or petrol you could buy if you chose a £20k car instead. It would certainly be cheaper than a Tesla even with free supercharging over the average cars lifetime. ?

Why you could even invest the savings in a carbon offset plan and still come out quid in. ?

Edited by cuthound

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I often do 200 miles and more. Has anyone done a GENUINE test on one of these 200 mile range cars yet????? In january, freezing weather with rain? Heater on, blower on, HRW on, air con on to stop misting, headlights and wipers on full time?? Somehow I doubt it.

Tim the heater works from coolant used to cool the motor on a lot of these cars Leds for lights reduces consumption and the highway code says you should take a break from driving every couple of hours so really their are no issues

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

Tim the heater works from coolant used to cool the motor on a lot of these cars Leds for lights reduces consumption and the highway code says you should take a break from driving every couple of hours so really their are no issues

Are the motors so inefficient thst they produce that much heat then? ?

Just now, cuthound said:

Still too expensive for most people I think at £50k-75k.

Think how much diesel or petrol you could buy if you chose a £20k car instead. It would certainly be cheaper than a Tesla even with free supercharging over the average cars lifetime. ?

But it wouldnt be cheaper than a 25K tesla over 100k miles you work it out how much 12000 miles a year costs in fuel its scary then times it by ten add servicing and see how cheap a 25k tesla really is

• Greenie 1

Just now, peterboat said:

But it wouldnt be cheaper than a 25K tesla over 100k miles you work it out how much 12000 miles a year costs in fuel its scary then times it by ten add servicing and see how cheap a 25k tesla really is

But in this country the average person does 8,000 a year and keep their cars for 3 years. ?

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

Are the motors so inefficient thst they produce that much heat then? ?

Stop being a plonker you more than anybody knows that all electric motors produce heat I think even a superconducter one does if I remember from the article I read

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

But in this country the average person does 8,000 a year and keep their cars for 3 years. ?

what about adding company cars into the mix?