C&RT need new owners details when selling a boat???

Sweeny Todd

Featured Posts

Hi

I have just sold my smaller boat, 18ft grp, as it was costing me more than it was benefiting me. I have notified C&RT to cancel the licence and mooring and their reply is below. My question is, do I have to give them this information (it was an ebay sale, I only have a ebay name), and secondly is this not a GDPR issue if I comply with this request?

Good afternoon 

Thank you for your e-mail. 

To terminate your licence and transfer the boat out of your account, we will require the new owners details. This includes their name, postal address, telephone number and e-mail address. 

We will also need to know the date that you sold the boat. If you can provide these details via e-mail, we can action this for you.

To terminate your mooring agreement, you will need to send 2 months notice in writing to the moorings team. You can do this online, via e-mail or in the post. Their e-mail address is waterside.mooring-enquiries@canalrivertrust.org.uk

Tell them to go forth

I moved off cart waters this year if I sell my boat now I  wouldn't be telling them who I had sold it to. There is nothing in law that says you have to tell them.

ETA I just cancelled my licence on line and got a refund no questions asked.

Edited by Loddon

Why would you not want to tell them who now owns the boat? If its just to be bloody minded I think that is childish.

If someone complains about the boat in the new owners hands and you have not updated them, you will get the flak.

The same applies to a road vehicle, if its used in crime they will come looking for you. This I know, its happened to me.

11 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Why would you not want to tell them who now owns the boat? If its just to be bloody minded I think that is childish.

If someone complains about the boat in the new owners hands and you have not updated them, you will get the flak.

The same applies to a road vehicle, if its used in crime they will come looking for you. This I know, its happened to me.

Whilst we may all agree with you (though I bet some don’t) the op said in post #1 that the boat was sold on eBay (presumably for cash) to an ‘unknown’ person.

5 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Whilst we may all agree with you (though I bet some don’t) the op said in post #1 that the boat was sold on eBay (presumably for cash) to an ‘unknown’ person.

Why is everyone so secretive (bloody-minded) ? - its to the OP's benefit to tell C&RT who he sold it to. 

The problem comes when the 'unknown person' damages other boats, doesn't licence, insure or BSS it, doesn't have a home mooring and doesn't move every 14 days.

It will be the registered owner who gets the 'knock on the door' or the nasty letters from C&RT.

@Sweeny Todd 

Do you have any evidence that you sold it ?

Do you have a copy of the bill of sale signed by the buyer ?

C&RTs requirements are no different to the DVLA 

When you sell or transfer your vehicle you must notify the DVLA straight away using the V5C part of your registration document. Remember by law, it is the seller's responsibility to tell the DVLA about the change of keeper. If you don't do this you commit an offence and you will still be liable for the vehicle

Edited by Alan de Enfield

26 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

@Sweeny Todd 

C&RTs requirements are no different to the DVLA 

When you sell or transfer your vehicle you must notify the DVLA straight away using the V5C part of your registration document. Remember by law, it is the seller's responsibility to tell the DVLA about the change of keeper. If you don't do this you commit an offence and you will still be liable for the vehicle

CRT has no such legal powers or T&C.

If the new owner sticks it on a trailer and takes it to Orkney to fish from, what business is it of CRT's?

I wouldn't have a problem giving CRT the new owner's details.  I would insist on having some idea of who bought it for myself, and would inform CRT.

Otherwise, if the boat is used illegally in any way, you will be liable if you haven't informed them of the change of owner.

Say you sold a car for cash and didn't tell DVLA.  Who are they going to come for if it was used in a bank raid?

7 minutes ago, matty40s said:

CRT has no such legal powers or T&C.

If the new owner sticks it on a trailer and takes it to Orkney to fish from, what business is it of CRT's?

I thought the point was it was in the sellers interests to make sure they weren't being blamed for anything caused by a boat they no longer own.   I suppose if they want the nasty letters/emails and the faff of proving they no longer own the boat at a later date fair enough.   Seems to me to be sensible to protect yourself from any possible extra problems.

When I sell a car I can't wait to get my change of ownership notification in. From then on misdemeanours on the car are no longer my problem. I did get notification of one ticket a day after I had sold that I successfully got reallocated because it was issued after the change of ownership notification.

On 12/08/2019 at 15:21, Jerra said:

I thought the point was it was in the sellers interests to make sure they weren't being blamed for anything caused by a boat they no longer own.   I suppose if they want the nasty letters/emails and the faff of proving they no longer own the boat at a later date fair enough.   Seems to me to be sensible to protect yourself from any possible extra problems.

Ok.

So why do CRT not ask a single broker for new owner details. The majority of boats are sold through brokerages, of all shapes, quality and sizes.

There is NOTHING that any brokerage has to supply to CRT during or post sale. No owner information,  where the boat was headed or whether the boat is still on CRT waters.

Why does someone in an office think it's a good idea to start picking on the little people, the private sellers, hoping for information.??

The brokerage way is that seller walks away with a Bill Of Sale  and some money in a reputable brokerage,  and some money in other cases. That's it. End of, CRT are not involved in the sales process data...their choice.

A few years ago(2013/4), CRT stated they were going to work with brokerages to give new owners information about licensing responsibilities, London, CC-ing guidelines etc.

This has not happened at all.

There is only one organisation to blame for this, the one that re-badged everything within 3 months with the blue sunken tyre.

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

Ok.

So why do CRT not ask a single broker for new owner details. The majority of boats are sold through brokerages, of all shapes, quality and sizes.

There is NOTHING that any brokerage has to supply to CRT during or post sale. No owner information,  where the boat was headed or whether the boat is still on CRT waters.

Why does someone in an office think it's a good idea to start picking on the little people, the private sellers, hoping for information.??

The brokerage way is that seller walks away with a Bill Of Sale  and some money in a reputable brokerage,  and some money in other cases. That's it. End of, CRT are not involved in the sales process data...their choice.

A few years ago(2013/4), CRT stated they were going to work with brokerages to give new owners information about licensing responsibilities, London, CC-ing guidelines etc.

This has not happened at all.

There is only one organisation to blame for this, the one that re-badged everything within 3 months with the blue sunken tyre.

If you re read what I wrote I was suggesting it was a personal thing.  i.e. it avoids the situation where, as quoted by somebody above, you are chased for licence fee when you don't own the boats etc.

Brokers would probably find it easier to prove the sale or in fact may not be the owner and so do not worry about the faff which may be caused.  Fair enough if the past owner is prepared for nasty letters about overstaying or not licencing don't pass on the information.

To me it is just another example of CRT being damned if they do and damned if they don't.   If they didn't try to ensure all boats were licenced and they knew who owned them many boaters would be incandescent.  When they do try in a, lets face it fairly innocuous way, then boaters get upset about that.

Telling someone,  without any legal authority,  that they cant cancel their licence or have the boat taken off their account without giving out someone elses personal details is not innocuous in this day and age. Normal people are worried about data protection and email hacking at the best of times.

On 12/08/2019 at 21:02, DandV said:

When I sell a car I can't wait to get my change of ownership notification in. From then on misdemeanours on the car are no longer my problem. I did get notification of one ticket a day after I had sold that I successfully got reallocated because it was issued after the change of ownership notification.

My son got done for London Congestion charge like that, silly boy.