Elton Moss 'Radiators'...

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone

I notice Elton Moss don't tend to have standard radiators, but continuous low level pipework (??) - do users of Elton Moss find these kick out enough heat?  I'm guessing yes as it looks like they still do these new...?

thanks

rob

Edited by robtheplod

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

Hi Everyone

I notice Elton Moss don't tend to have standard radiators, but continuous low level pipework (??) - do users of Elton Moss find these kick out enough heat?  I'm guessing yes as it looks like they still do these new...?

thanks

rob

I'd say you are right to be wary. In houses, skirting rads are never very successful, they just don't chuck out enough heat. In a boat I'd say the problem is worse as there is so little exposed length of to have them.

They probably warm the boat ok on a cool summer's evening but I doubt they are much good in a cold snap in winter. Does this boat have a stove too? What heats the skirting rads?

Yes I think you might call them FinRads, here's a pic - they go pretty much the whole length of the boat....

Any Elton Moss users (share people probably) with any views on these?

Yes it has a stove and a Webasto heats these finrads…..

finrads.PNG

Edited by robtheplod

19 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Yes I think you might call them FinRads, here's a pic - they go pretty much the whole length of the boat....

finrads.PNG

Prolly fine in conjunction with a stove, but will barely take the background chill of the back of the boat in winter I suspect, but hopefully a real life owner will pop up and put me straight on this!

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'd say you are right to be wary. In houses, skirting rads are never very successful, they just don't chuck out enough heat. In a boat I'd say the problem is worse as there is so little exposed length of to have them.

They probably warm the boat ok on a cool summer's evening but I doubt they are much good in a cold snap in winter. Does this boat have a stove too? What heats the skirting rads?

I was sceptical of skirting rads, but when I viewed my current house, it had them on two walls of the living room, so I allowed for changing the in my offer.

I have been pleasantly surprised by how effective they have been. Mine are about 6 inches (150mm) deep and 40 feet (12 metres) long and are the only heating in thst room. 5 years on they are still in place.

I to have skirting rads and have had for 35 years. they are effective and as they distribute the heat along the wall you can position furniture sofas etc in front of them as long as you leave a lot exposed. Coffee tables can also go in front with no detriment to the heating but as they do emit heat I would not recommend antique or sensitive items like a piano. I have 30 foot on one wall and if I want can easily have the room at 30 degrees. The length was dictated by aesthetics and not how many kWatts/ BTU etc we went from one end of the room to the other and have if i remember correctly about 150% of the recommended amount for the room size.

44 minutes ago, haggis said:

Sorry, this is nothing to do with radiators but every time I see the makers name (Elton Moss), i immediately think of a very nice dessert  -)

haggis 

I usually think of Boris Johnson. He's an Eton mess.

10 hours ago, robtheplod said:

But they look nicer than great big white radiators on the wall

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

But they look nicer than great big white radiators on the wall

Form follows function. White radiators look good in my view because they work so well.

As does anything so well designed that it works superbly.

(Except digger diesels in boats, obvs :giggles: )

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Form follows function. White radiators look good in my view because they work so well.

As does anything so well designed that it works superbly.

(Except digger diesels in boats, obvs :giggles: )

Surely white is the worst colour for a radiator to work well. It might look good in gloss white, but for effective radiation the best colour is black (and matt black at that).

1 minute ago, Keeping Up said:

Surely white is the worst colour for a radiator to work well. It might look good in gloss white, but for effective radiation the best colour is black (and matt black at that).

True. 

White radiators look TERRIBLE, I've decided in the light of your post 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

Surely dark colours absorb more heat than light one, as evidenced  by boats with dark roofs getting hotter inside, then those with light roofs.

That being the case wouldn't you freeze if you painted your radiators black, because they would absorb all of the heat from the room? ??

42 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Surely dark colours absorb more heat than light one, as evidenced  by boats with dark roofs getting hotter inside, then those with light roofs.

That being the case wouldn't you freeze if you painted your radiators black, because they would absorb all of the heat from the room? ??

Nope. Do some googling and you'll find dark matt surfaces transmit radiation more easily than shiny pale surfaces. Its all to do with how similar the surface interface is to a mirror, or not. 

31 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Nope. Do some googling and you'll find dark matt surfaces transmit radiation more easily than shiny pale surfaces. Its all to do with how similar the surface interface is to a mirror, or not. 

Had a sense of humour bypass recently? Or didn't you notice the smiley? ?

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

If only that were true; I've just had a great idea for how to make a fridge, just take a big box and paint the inside of it black.

11 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

But do they radiate or convect?

9 hours ago, Narrowboat Nimrod said:

We have Finrads on a 52ft boat. They run off the Eberspacher. They work great for giving the boat a warm up on a cold morning if the fire is not lit. I backed mine with radiator foil so the heat is not lost to the side of the boat and lagged the pipework, made a big improvement. 

Surly any heat loss from the pipes would go into the boat just like an extra radiator