Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

NEW: Following member feedback, we now have a Mooring & Marina Review forum. Post your review here.

robtheplod

Elton Moss 'Radiators'...

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone

 

I notice Elton Moss don't tend to have standard radiators, but continuous low level pipework (??) - do users of Elton Moss find these kick out enough heat?  I'm guessing yes as it looks like they still do these new...?

 

thanks

 

rob

Edited by robtheplod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

Hi Everyone

 

I notice Elton Moss don't tend to have standard radiators, but continuous low level pipework (??) - do users of Elton Moss find these kick out enough heat?  I'm guessing yes as it looks like they still do these new...?

 

thanks

 

rob

 

I'd say you are right to be wary. In houses, skirting rads are never very successful, they just don't chuck out enough heat. In a boat I'd say the problem is worse as there is so little exposed length of to have them.

 

They probably warm the boat ok on a cool summer's evening but I doubt they are much good in a cold snap in winter. Does this boat have a stove too? What heats the skirting rads?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I think you might call them FinRads, here's a pic - they go pretty much the whole length of the boat....

 

Any Elton Moss users (share people probably) with any views on these?

 

Yes it has a stove and a Webasto heats these finrads…..

 

 

finrads.PNG

Edited by robtheplod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Yes I think you might call them FinRads, here's a pic - they go pretty much the whole length of the boat....

 

Any Elton Moss users (share people probably) with any views on these?

 

Yes it has a stove and a Webasto heats these finrads…..

 

 

finrads.PNG

 

Prolly fine in conjunction with a stove, but will barely take the background chill of the back of the boat in winter I suspect, but hopefully a real life owner will pop up and put me straight on this!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

I'd say you are right to be wary. In houses, skirting rads are never very successful, they just don't chuck out enough heat. In a boat I'd say the problem is worse as there is so little exposed length of to have them.

 

They probably warm the boat ok on a cool summer's evening but I doubt they are much good in a cold snap in winter. Does this boat have a stove too? What heats the skirting rads?

 

 

 

I was sceptical of skirting rads, but when I viewed my current house, it had them on two walls of the living room, so I allowed for changing the in my offer.

 

I have been pleasantly surprised by how effective they have been. Mine are about 6 inches (150mm) deep and 40 feet (12 metres) long and are the only heating in thst room. 5 years on they are still in place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I to have skirting rads and have had for 35 years. they are effective and as they distribute the heat along the wall you can position furniture sofas etc in front of them as long as you leave a lot exposed. Coffee tables can also go in front with no detriment to the heating but as they do emit heat I would not recommend antique or sensitive items like a piano. I have 30 foot on one wall and if I want can easily have the room at 30 degrees. The length was dictated by aesthetics and not how many kWatts/ BTU etc we went from one end of the room to the other and have if i remember correctly about 150% of the recommended amount for the room size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks for the replies..... so very possibly suitable. I've also emailed Carefreecruising (who have a whole fleet of Elton Moss boats) and they assure me they work very well.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had a Carefree boat 8 years ago. The finrads were fine for warmth, but they're not great for hanging your wet socks over!

  • Greenie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, JJay said:

We had a Carefree boat 8 years ago. The finrads were fine for warmth, but they're not great for hanging your wet socks over!

Was it Water Lily ?  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, this is nothing to do with radiators but every time I see the makers name (Elton Moss), i immediately think of a very nice dessert  -)

 

haggis 

  • Greenie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Was it Water Lily ?  :)

‘Fraid not.  Ours was Halcyon, 2 years later, I think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, haggis said:

Sorry, this is nothing to do with radiators but every time I see the makers name (Elton Moss), i immediately think of a very nice dessert  -)

 

haggis 

You're not alone...😎😂🎂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, haggis said:

Sorry, this is nothing to do with radiators but every time I see the makers name (Elton Moss), i immediately think of a very nice dessert  -)

 

haggis 

 

I usually think of Boris Johnson. He's an Eton mess.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, robtheplod said:

Yes I think you might call them FinRads, here's a pic - they go pretty much the whole length of the boat....

 

Any Elton Moss users (share people probably) with any views on these?

 

Yes it has a stove and a Webasto heats these finrads…..

 

 

 

But they look nicer than great big white radiators on the wall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

But they look nicer than great big white radiators on the wall

 

Form follows function. White radiators look good in my view because they work so well.

 

As does anything so well designed that it works superbly.

 

(Except digger diesels in boats, obvs :giggles: )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

Form follows function. White radiators look good in my view because they work so well.

 

As does anything so well designed that it works superbly.

 

(Except digger diesels in boats, obvs :giggles: )

Surely white is the worst colour for a radiator to work well. It might look good in gloss white, but for effective radiation the best colour is black (and matt black at that).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Keeping Up said:

Surely white is the worst colour for a radiator to work well. It might look good in gloss white, but for effective radiation the best colour is black (and matt black at that).

 

True. 

 

White radiators look TERRIBLE, I've decided in the light of your post 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

Surely white is the worst colour for a radiator to work well. It might look good in gloss white, but for effective radiation the best colour is black (and matt black at that).

 

Surely dark colours absorb more heat than light one, as evidenced  by boats with dark roofs getting hotter inside, then those with light roofs.

 

That being the case wouldn't you freeze if you painted your radiators black, because they would absorb all of the heat from the room? 🤔😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, cuthound said:

 

Surely dark colours absorb more heat than light one, as evidenced  by boats with dark roofs getting hotter inside, then those with light roofs.

 

That being the case wouldn't you freeze if you painted your radiators black, because they would absorb all of the heat from the room? 🤔😂

 

Nope. Do some googling and you'll find dark matt surfaces transmit radiation more easily than shiny pale surfaces. Its all to do with how similar the surface interface is to a mirror, or not. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

Nope. Do some googling and you'll find dark matt surfaces transmit radiation more easily than shiny pale surfaces. Its all to do with how similar the surface interface is to a mirror, or not. 

 

 

 

Had a sense of humour bypass recently? Or didn't you notice the smiley? 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cuthound said:

 

Surely dark colours absorb more heat than light one, as evidenced  by boats with dark roofs getting hotter inside, then those with light roofs.

 

That being the case wouldn't you freeze if you painted your radiators black, because they would absorb all of the heat from the room? 🤔😂

If only that were true; I've just had a great idea for how to make a fridge, just take a big box and paint the inside of it black.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have Finrads on a 52ft boat. They run off the Eberspacher. They work great for giving the boat a warm up on a cold morning if the fire is not lit. I backed mine with radiator foil so the heat is not lost to the side of the boat and lagged the pipework, made a big improvement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

Nope. Do some googling and you'll find dark matt surfaces transmit radiation more easily than shiny pale surfaces. Its all to do with how similar the surface interface is to a mirror, or not. 

 

 

But do they radiate or convect?

9 hours ago, Narrowboat Nimrod said:

We have Finrads on a 52ft boat. They run off the Eberspacher. They work great for giving the boat a warm up on a cold morning if the fire is not lit. I backed mine with radiator foil so the heat is not lost to the side of the boat and lagged the pipework, made a big improvement. 

Surly any heat loss from the pipes would go into the boat just like an extra radiator 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.