No water our of taps, no water pump noise...?

Phefran

Featured Posts

OK, maybe the tank refill is just a co-incidence. A real long shot is that you stirred up some crud that has blocked the pipe between tank and pump, but in this case I would expect to hear the pump running but not quite with its usual sound, and you do say the pump failed before you filled the tank???. There are all sorts of things you can do to investigate what is going on but just replacing the pump might be the easiest. They are about £60 and if you are a liveaboard you will almost certainly need one in the next few years anyway.

...............Dave

Have you checked/cleaned the water filter? (usually between the tank and pump.)

I have had the pick-up pipe inside the tank, rust up, blocking the water flow.  The answer for that was to replace the pick-up.

Bod

To go off on a slight tangent (as we are prone to do on here) whilst at Lancaster I had pretty much the opposite problem in that my water pump wouldn't shut off. My first thought was that the pressure switch had failed but having phoned around it seemed that my only real option was to go back down to Midland Chandlers at Preston Brook (no other chandlers nearby could help) by train and get either a new pump or a new switch. I opted for a new pump thinking that it would almost certainly fix the problem (it did) and then when passing Midland Chanderls later I'd get a replacement switch so I'd then have a spare pump (pump was about £92, switch was £30). I've now fitted the new switch into the old pump and the problem still remains in that it wont shut off and over-pressurises the system. Given that the new pump is working fine so it isn't anything wrong with the water system itself, anyone got any idea what else on the pump could fail to stop it shutting off?

ETA it too is a Jabasco pump

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

25 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I've now fitted the new switch into the old pump and the problem still remains in that it wont shut off and over-pressurises the system. Given that the new pump is working fine so it isn't anything wrong with the water system itself, anyone got any idea what else on the pump could fail to stop it shutting off?

Perhaps the hole which connects the pressure switch to the water pipe is blocked, so the pressure switch doesn't see the water pressure.

28 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

anyone got any idea what else on the pump could fail to stop it shutting off?

Do you have a pressure relief valve on a calorifier? Has this stuck open? Where does the waste from this valve go. Hopefully overboard, via a skin fitting, but it could be in to the bilge.

Jen

7 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Perhaps the hole which connects the pressure switch to the water pipe is blocked, so the pressure switch doesn't see the water pressure.

When you buy a new switch it comes with a replacement gasket and diaphragm (the bit with the hole in it). Perhaps there is something wrong with the way I've fitted it but cannot see what

4 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Do you have a pressure relief valve on a calorifier? Has this stuck open? Where does the waste from this valve go. Hopefully overboard, via a skin fitting, but it could be in to the bilge.

Jen

The new pump works fine so I'm reasonably happy that whatever the problem is, it is on the old pump, not on the system.