Floorboards for boats - help!

EmilyLVM

Featured Posts

I'm redoing the flooring on my boat, and was advised to use lacquered flooring as it will be the most easy to maintain on a small space. However, I can't find the finish I want (I want to have pretreated floor boards). Does anyone know if varnished flooring will have the same durability as lacquered? Or any other advice for floorboards on boats?? THANK YOU! 

Edited by EmilyLVM

28 minutes ago, EmilyLVM said:

I'm redoing the flooring on my boat, and was advised to use lacquered flooring as it will be the most easy to maintain on a small space. However, I can't find the finish I want (I want to have pretreated floor boards). Does anyone know if varnished flooring will have the same durability as lacquered? Or any other advice for floorboards on boats?? THANK YOU! 

What sort of boat?

I would very much doubt it. 

In my house I have solid oak flooring throughout the ground floor (excluding the kitchen.) It was lacqeured from new. Apart from one small patch the coating is still sound. I have the same flooring in the saloon of my boat. The only wear is directly under the chair I normally sit in and was caused by grit getting under the chair feet ddigging into the wood. Both floors have been down for at least 10 years. Cleaning is simply a matter of a quick hoover followed by mopping with whatever household cleaner is to hand. I just don't see any varnish having lasted as well.

The boat is a NB

Edited by Slim
Additional note

Just now, system 4-50 said:

What sort of boat?

Ops, a narrowboat! 

Just now, Slim said:

I would very much doubt it. 

In my house I have solid oak flooring throughout the ground floor (excluding the kitchen.) It was lacqeured from new. Apart from one small patch the coating is still sound. I have the same flooring in the saloon of my boat. The only wear is directly under the chair I normally sit in and was caused by grit getting under the chair feet ddigging into the wood. Both floors have been down for at least 10 years. Cleaning is simply a matter of a quick hoover followed by mopping with whatever household cleaner is to hand. I just don't see any varnish having lasted as well.

The boat is a NB

That's helpful, thanks : )