Political & Current Affairs forum - Exclude from View New Content?

RichM

Political & Current Affairs forum - Exclude from View New Content?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Political & Current Affairs forum - Should it be excluded from the default "View New Content" activity stream?

• Yes, it should be excluded from the default "View New Content"activity stream
    • No, I think topics submitted in the Political & Current Affairs forum should be displayed in the default "View New Content" activity stream
    • I don't mind
    • Abstain

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/08/19 at 11:01

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Jennifer McM said:

Agreed. 

Politics unfortunately has become tribal. It's brutal. It's personal, and it's absolutely crackers.  

For the good of the forum, which is brilliant by the way, I think the Brexit debate has run it's course, and either side are not going to change their minds. So what's the point of pretending it's a debate? 

It would have been great to discuss developing news, good or bad, but I don't think that's ever going to happen.

Probably as much point as there is debabating cassette v pumpout v composting.  All sides have made up their minds and aren't going to change.

Just now, Jerra said:

Probably as much point as there is debabating cassette v pumpout v composting.  All sides have made up their minds and aren't going to change.

A discussion doesn't need to become personal though, which sadly it usually comes down to that ☹️

• Greenie 1

Just now, Jennifer McM said:

A discussion doesn't need to become personal though, which sadly it usually comes down to that ☹️

I have never suggested a discussion should become personal.   However the point you made was that neither side would change and much that is discussed on the forum fits into that category.

However I would agree there is no need for much of the silly school playground name calling which some use.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

I have never suggested a discussion should become personal.   However the point you made was that neither side would change and much that is discussed on the forum fits into that category.

However I would agree there is no need for much of the silly school playground name calling which some use.

No you haven't. But I think the point that Jennifer is making is that some posters resort to personal insult rather than marshall a good counter arguement, which does not contribute to the debate.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

No you haven't. But I think the point that Jennifer is making is that some posters resort to personal insult rather than marshall a good counter arguement, which does not contribute to the debate.

Which I thought I had covered in the last line you quoted.

2 hours ago, rupertbear said:

secondly because I don't want to discover that the person who was so helpful over a previous boating query is, in fact, deeply unpleasant. This has happened in the past.

You are right with your policy...

I wish I had your discipline. I've just discovered in another place that someone I've met when he helped me with a boating problem, and who I have liked, virtually, over the years, is a real twat, and not just politically

He recently told anyone who was listening that he once kicked a dog in the jaw so hard that it made a loud noise, and the dog didn't "harrass" him again.

On 13/08/2019 at 12:09, Richard10002 said:

You are right with your policy...

I wish I had your discipline. I've just discovered in another place that someone I've met when he helped me with a boating problem, and who I have liked, virtually, over the years, is a real twat, and not just politically

He recently told anyone who was listening that he once kicked a dog in the jaw so hard that it made a loud noise, and the dog didn't "harrass" him again.

If I was more disciplined there would be less posts on the B..... thread, and without such a thread I wouldn’t have have found out how many people on the forum have views that make me cringe, let alone the ones who are personally offensive.

• Greenie 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Kudzucraft said:

Poll closed over a month ago....  Very clear that most don't want policits in the New Post link, is this going to be implemented?

I am not sure how you arrive at most don't w.

Firstly the poll doesn't mention it being in VNC or not.

48.26 want politics

30,87 don't want politics

20.87 either don't know or don't care

What makes "don't want " the majority.

26 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I am not sure how you arrive at most don't w.

Firstly the poll doesn't mention it being in VNC or not.

48.26 want politics

30,87 don't want politics

20.87 either don't know or don't care

What makes "don't want " the majority.

You are looking at the wrong poll, the poll in question is at the top of the thread.

It still closed over a month ago and shows a big majority for excluding the Politics sub-forum from the VNC, which has not yet happened. OTOH, it’s no big deal to just not open the relevant threads and I guess @RichM has more important stuff to do.

• 3 weeks later...

The biggest problem with this forum is that it doesn't stay on topic. Whenever you want to read a thread on something BOAT related you have to sift through reams and reams of off topic comments, lame jokes and grumpy miserables.

Personally I think that FAR too much time is devoted to "what should we do about the non boat stuff". It is a canal forum. There should be one and one only non boat forum (someone recommended it be called "the bilge" which I thought was apt). The mods should then ask, whenever a thread is created, "is this about canals or boating" and if not, dump it in the bilge.

Then all those for whom this place is Facebook can fester in there and leave the rest of us to talk about boating.

• Greenie 2
  • Angry 1

On ‎13‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 08:46, rupertbear said:

The desire of many people on here to discuss general (not directly boat or waterway related) politics has always baffled me.

Do they also discuss battery charging, canal history etc on political forums?

I personally choose not read these topics, for two reasons: Firstly, as above, it's the wrong place and secondly because I don't want to discover that the person who was so helpful over a previous boating query is, in fact, deeply unpleasant. This has happened in the past.

I don't know why it should baffle anybody. Speaking from my own experience, I came here through an interest in canal related issues. While I'm here, some boaters want to discuss politics. That seems fairly consistent with life around the canal. People are part of the mix. Politics gets up peoples' nose, that is not uncommon. Some people here seem to want a twee world of artificial pleasantries and limited scope for being human.

The "canal" side of the title is focused on and, the "world" part is subdued by some, in their interpretation of what should count as reasonable content. I don't mind if the political side was hidden. I object to the 'real boaters' thinking they own the meaning of this site.

To compare the likelihood of batteries being discussed on a politically biased site is silly, in my opinion. It wouldn't be an impossible likelihood, neither probably would food and wine, or the state of the infrastructure needed to get to a protest.

We are capable of recognising the variety in even those that elect to use the canals - aren't we? I'm not sure how many times the same subject crops up in these pages, and maybe the subject of canals isn't all that is needed to keep people coming here.

Edited by Higgs

3 hours ago, ivan&alice said:

It is a canal forum.

It's also a community 

With the best will in the world I've read many posts almost exactly like this over the last few years, they are more often than not written by people who are more than happy to take a thread off topic when they do it they just don't like it when other people do it, they think they're really funny they just don't think other people are. That just life I'm afraid. I don't think this forum is at it's best in the current affairs section and I'm rather sad that people I once respected have turned out to be less than I though they were, unfortunately that is also just life. I think this forum does have some very serious problems when it comes to diversity, others obviously disagree with me. What you suggest might sound like a solution when you run it through your head as a theory but just how do you see it working in real life. Being grumpy and going off topic is just what people and their pesky personalities do, that's what makes this a forum and not a text book. 

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, Tumshie said:

It's also a community 

With the best will in the world I've read many posts almost exactly like this over the last few years, they are more often than not written by people who are more than happy to take a thread off topic when they do it they just don't like it when other people do it, they think they're really funny they just don't think other people are. That just life I'm afraid. I don't think this forum is at it's best in the current affairs section and I'm rather sad that people I once respected have turned out to be less than I though they were, unfortunately that is also just life. I think this forum does have some very serious problems when it comes to diversity, others obviously disagree with me. What you suggest might sound like a solution when you run it through your head as a theory but just how do you see it working in real life. Being grumpy and going off topic is just what people and their pesky personalities do, that's what makes this a forum and not a text book. 

^^^^

Exactly, going off topic occasionally proves that the forum is populated by human beans, not robots.

Occasionally irrating but much more often informative or funny.

• Greenie 2

57 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

And monkeys

And Monkeys - we would never leave out Monkeys, or Beagles, or Puddings, or Muppets, or Ducks. :huh: Do we actually have any ducks? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ And ducks. 

Edited by Tumshie
  • Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

And tumshies, don't forget them

Tis a bogle I think you will find!

There’s a bogle by the bour-tree at the lang loan heid,
I canna thole the thocht o’ her, she fills ma he’rt wi’ dreid;
She skirls like a hoolet, an’ she rattles a’ her banes,
An’ gi’es hersel’ an unco fash to fricht wee weans.

She’s never there by daylicht, but ance the gloamin’ fa’s,
She creeps alang the heid-rig, an’ through the tattie-shaws,
Syne splairges through the burn, an’ comes sprachlin’ ower the stanes,
Then coories doun ahint the dyke to fricht wee weans.

I canna say I’ve seen her, an’ it’s no’ that I am blin’,
But, whene’er I pass the bour-tree, I steek ma een an’ rin;
An’ though I get a tum’le whiles I’d raither thole sic pains,
Than look upon the likes o’ yon that frichts wee weans.

I daurna gang that gait ma lane by munelicht or by mirk,
Oor Tam’s no feart, but then he’s big, an’ strang as ony stirk;
He says the bogle’s juist the win’ that through the bour-tree maens.
The muckle gowk! It’s no the win’ that frichts wee weans.

W D Cocker.

(though he was changed to she, by me)

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1