Political & Current Affairs forum - Exclude from View New Content?

RichM

Political & Current Affairs forum - Exclude from View New Content?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Political & Current Affairs forum - Should it be excluded from the default "View New Content" activity stream?

• Yes, it should be excluded from the default "View New Content"activity stream
    • No, I think topics submitted in the Political & Current Affairs forum should be displayed in the default "View New Content" activity stream
    • I don't mind
    • Abstain

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/08/19 at 11:01

Featured Posts

On 17/10/2019 at 15:03, Kudzucraft said:

My questions still stands.  Is this going to be implemented?  

My question is, do you feel that no o  ewill read your posts unless they are set in bold type?

It seems odd to exclude new topics from the "View New Content" page: if they don't appear, how will members know that they are there, and thus how will they be able to contribute to them?

However, if that's what the preponderance of members wants, then it should be so.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

My question is, do you feel that no o  ewill read your posts unless they are set in bold type?

It seems odd to exclude new topics from the "View New Content" page: if they don't appear, how will members know that they are there, and thus how will they be able to contribute to them?

However, if that's what the preponderance of members wants, then it should be so.

To me it is just a backhanded way for members who insist on opening political threads and then complaining, to avoid the effort of by passing them.   They also I suspect hope political discussion will wither and die if not in VNC.

A form of hidden censorship IMO.

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Athy said:

Whats the matter, can't find anything worth while to complain about?

18 hours ago, RichM said:

We will look to implement this change but it will require a code change so may take longer than we'd like.

Thank you.

1 minute ago, Kudzucraft said:

Whats the matter, can't find anything worth while to complain about?

Nothing is the matter.

I was not complaining.

I was asking a question, to which I might have expected a more civil reply.

• 2 months later...

Just found this thread on view new content.

It appears to me that the "majority rules" and stuff the opinions of minorities. This is not what a democractic sociaty is based upon. Tolerance, understanding and inclusion is primary in any section.

I did not take part in this vote, didn't see it, but can only say, all new content should be available to all, we all have the ability then to click on view or not, that should be the choice not a majority of people denying a minority that right

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, AWETHEAYET said:

It appears to me that the "majority rules" and stuff the opinions of minorities. This is not what a democractic sociaty is based upon. Tolerance, understanding and inclusion is primary in any section.

Interesting theory.  Are you basing it on anything that has ever happened in the real world?

1 hour ago, AWETHEAYET said:

I did not take part in this vote, didn't see it, but can only say, all new content should be available to all, we all have the ability then to click on view or not, that should be the choice not a majority of people denying a minority that right

You should be happy with what happened (or didn't) then!

11 hours ago, AWETHEAYET said:

Just found this thread on view new content.

Of course you could not have taken part as you were not a member when the poll was opened, but based upon your hypothesis, the Political and Current Affairs forum would not even exist, as less than half the membership voted against it in an earlier poll :-  

image.png.352b19a762b29cef85e007b6d0f0a166.png

Edited by David Schweizer

13 hours ago, AWETHEAYET said:

It appears to me that the "majority rules" and stuff the opinions of minorities. This is not what a democractic sociaty is based upon.

Seems that majority rules and stuff the minorities is how this country is now, woe betide you if you are a minority.............

21 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Interesting theory.  Are you basing it on anything that has ever happened in the real world?

You should be happy with what happened (or didn't) then!

In the "real world" Biscuit there are laws supporting many minorities from race, religion, sexual orientation etc etc. If you need to ask me if I base my post on the real world then I question what you consider the differance between theory and fact.

Yes there are many in this country that ignor these laws to inflict their vile opinions on us all and actions on minorities, It is up to the silent majority to speak out against them.

2 minutes ago, AWETHEAYET said:

In the "real world" Biscuit there are laws supporting many minorities from race, religion, sexual orientation etc etc. If you need to ask me if I base my post on the real world then I question what you consider the differance between theory and fact.

Yes there are many in this country that ignor these laws to inflict their vile opinions on us all and actions on minorities, It is up to the silent majority to speak out against them.

I do believe you are taking this forum far too seriously, have you had a pint of sidepond cider yet??

3 minutes ago, AWETHEAYET said:

Well, yes!  That was exactly my point when you said:

23 hours ago, AWETHEAYET said:

It appears to me that the "majority rules" and stuff the opinions of minorities.

Have you changed your mind in the last day?

5 minutes ago, AWETHEAYET said:

Biscuit re-read your own posts and don't try to be smart

I can only offer you the same advice.

I don't think I post things completely disagreeing with each other in the same 24 hour period, but you have and did.

Pick your position and stick with it - I'm out, so you can have the last word if that's important. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

So spent some time on this today. I have updated the default activity stream (aka View New Content) to exclude the Political & Current affairs forum which was done following the outcome of the poll in this topic. Some code changes were required to the default site skin/theme to make it look presentable without a blurb of text showing which is why it took longer than anticipated to make this change.

Additionally I have made a tweak for VNC to show in "condensed" mode by default. The expanded mode can be enabled at the click of a button if you so wish. (See below screenshot)

expandedview.png

Cheers

Rich

30 minutes ago, RichM said:

Hi all,

So spent some time on this today. I have updated the default activity stream (aka View New Content) to exclude the Political & Current affairs forum which was done following the outcome of the poll in this topic. Some code changes were required to the default site skin/theme to make it look presentable without a blurb of text showing which is why it took longer than anticipated to make this change.

Additionally I have made a tweak for VNC to show in "condensed" mode by default. The expanded mode can be enabled at the click of a button if you so wish. (See below screenshot)

expandedview.png

Cheers

Rich

This is wonderful thanks Rich, VNC looks just like a boating forum now.

Amazing!!! A marvelous improvement, thanks again.