Political & Current Affairs forum - Exclude from View New Content?

RichM

Political & Current Affairs forum - Exclude from View New Content?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Political & Current Affairs forum - Should it be excluded from the default "View New Content" activity stream?

• Yes, it should be excluded from the default "View New Content"activity stream
    • No, I think topics submitted in the Political & Current Affairs forum should be displayed in the default "View New Content" activity stream
    • I don't mind
    • Abstain

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/08/19 at 11:01

Featured Posts

Hi,

As you may be aware and further to member feedback, we recently created a forum for the discussion of Political & Current Affairs.

Do you think topics posted within the Political & Current Affairs forum should be excluded from the default "View New Content" results given that our primary purpose is for discussions in relation to our waterways and boats alike? 

Note: It will always be possible for members to create their own custom stream to include/exclude any forum of their choosing, including Political & Current Affairs. This poll is about whether or not we exclude it from the default search results.

Thank you

RichM

Poll closes on 18/08/19 at 12:01

I already have a custom stream which excludes non-boating content like the VP but it's a real faff to set up - you have to select all the forums you do want to see instead of just the one you don't and also suffers from the duplicate topic bug in the results list. At a minimum, there should be a one-click option to block the new forum.

• Greenie 2

11 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Thanks, Rich, this sounds like a really good idea. Like Señor C, I don’t want the faff of setting up another content stream, I seem to have several redundant ones already!

As have I.  And I haven't found a way of deleting the duplicates.

The proliferation of political, or politically inspired  threads is annoying, and has made me visit the Forum less often.

Change the software so that individual threads can be made invisible please.

If possible, control the few members whose offensive/libellous comments cause deep offence.

You can probably guess how I have voted in this poll.

• Greenie 3

16 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

The proliferation of political, or politically inspired  threads is annoying, and has made me visit the Forum less often.

Change the software so that individual threads can be made invisible please.

If possible, control the few members whose offensive/libellous comments cause deep offence.

You can probably guess how I have voted in this poll.

And yet you contribute very regularly to the Brexit thread? Hhmmm, just ignore if you don't like the discussion.

Roger

• Greenie 1

On 11/08/2019 at 12:00, RichM said:

Hi,

As you may be aware and further to member feedback, we recently created a forum for the discussion of Political & Current Affairs.

Do you think topics posted within the Political & Current Affairs forum should be excluded from the default "View New Content" results given that our primary purpose is for discussions in relation to our waterways and boats alike? 

Note: It will always be possible for members to create their own custom stream to include/exclude any forum of their choosing, including Political & Current Affairs. This poll is about whether or not we exclude it from the default search results.

Thank you

RichM

I will not be participating in the poll as it is asking the wrong questions, which should not be about Political threads in themselves, rather than the content of some political threads, which at times can be both unpleasant and offensive.

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It is very strange how a proportion of posters (and Dan) simply don't get how the presence of offensive/libellous posts on a site makes some of us not want to be associated with the site in the first place. It has nothing to do with reading the unpleasantness, or not. 

This is partly why so many of the bright and cheerful people who used to come here, no longer do. The whole place takes on a mean-tempered mood and new visitors look around, read a few of the sour and miserable political posts possibly by accident, decide this place is not for them, and leave.

That's an interesting assertion but, to be viable as evidence, you would need to log the joining date, what threads they viewed and when they left the forum to be able to use that as solid evidence. Have you done that? The opinion of a mate down the pub is not significant in statistical terms of course. The other method would be to conduct a leaving members survey as to the reasons for their departure, relatively normal business practice but probably not conducted on this forum.

Roger

4 minutes ago, Albion said:

That's an interesting assertion but, to be viable as evidence, you would need to log the joining date, what threads they viewed and when they left the forum to be able to use that as solid evidence. Have you done that?

Jeez, are you for real? This is exactly the sort of mean-spirited comment that drives people away!!

• Greenie 1

On 11/08/2019 at 12:00, RichM said:

Hi,

Thank you

RichM

On reflection, How was this "feedback" obtained?  Was a poll conducted to determine whether the forum should include a Political and Current Affairs Forum, or was a decision made by the admin team, based upon the lobbying of a vociferious minority?

As six of the eight threads started in the Political & Current Affairs forum, since it was introduced, have been started by the same person, perhaps it should be re-named the "Parahandy Soapbox" forum.

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Jeez, are you for real? This is exactly the sort of mean-spirited comment that drives people away!!

Not at all, it is the only evidential based method of judging the reality of your/any such assertion. Would you convict in a court on someone's opinion without evidence?

Roger

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This is partly why so many of the bright and cheerful people who used to come here, no longer do. The whole place takes on a mean-tempered mood and new visitors look around, read a few of the sour and miserable political posts possibly by accident, decide this place is not for them, and leave.

As a newish member I have to totally agree.. We are nearing retirement and planning on buying a boat and spending 6-9 months a year in the UK CC'ing.

We learned of the Canals from other sources and started doing serious research into them. While I have learned a lot from reading past posts on here, if I had found this forum first, I would have probably decided against it. It would have lead me to believe that people on the canals were not people I wanted to be around. 

• Greenie 3

5 minutes ago, Kudzucraft said:

We learned of the Canals from other sources and started doing serious research into them. While I have learned a lot from reading past posts on here, if I had found this forum first, I would have probably decided against it. It would have lead me to believe that people on the canals were not people I wanted to be around. 

Good grief!

Its a forum. It eddies and swirls and accumulates crap in places and then clears again.  

I would ask that members who have strongly held views expound them fully once and once only, but mostly it works. imho.

50 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Good grief!

Its a forum. It eddies and swirls and accumulates crap in places and then clears again.  

I would ask that members who have strongly held views expound them fully once and once only, but mostly it works. imho.

Does that apply to choice of toilet on a boat as well?

3 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

As six of the eight threads started in the Political & Current Affairs forum, since it was introduced, have been started by the same person,

Yes the forum racist/fascist, he has taken over where "naughty fox" left off. There is at least one other of the same ilk!

• Greenie 3

48 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Good grief!

Agreed. 

Politics unfortunately has become tribal. It's brutal. It's personal, and it's absolutely crackers.  

For the good of the forum, which is brilliant by the way, I think the Brexit debate has run it's course, and either side are not going to change their minds. So what's the point of pretending it's a debate? 

It would have been great to discuss developing news, good or bad, but I don't think that's ever going to happen.