Help !!Mooring problems

nicky79

Featured Posts

Please help ,  I am in midst of buying our first narrowboat after years of holidaying on them but are having trouble finding moorings near Oxford.  Need to be by Oxford as I am on a transplant waiting list which will be done in Churchill Hospital ..  If anyone knows of any moorings preferably leisure could you please advise.     Many thanks Nicky

4 minutes ago, nicky79 said:

Please help ,  I am in midst of buying our first narrowboat after years of holidaying on them but are having trouble finding moorings near Oxford.  Need to be by Oxford as I am on a transplant waiting list which will be done in Churchill Hospital ..  If anyone knows of any moorings preferably leisure could you please advise.     Many thanks Nicky

Welcome Nicky,

How near to Oxford do you need? Oxford is a honeypot with massive demand for moorings so they are like hen's teeth anywhere near the city. Once you move out a few miles to places like Enslow or Banbury it all gets a little easier. Never gonna be cheap though. 

Cropredy Marina just norht of Banbury usually have space. 

2 minutes ago, nicky79 said:

Hi Nicky and welcome to the forum, there are a few members here that know the Oxford area well so I'm sure someone will be a long soon to help you out.... And there's one now ? Anyway welcome and good luck with your search. 

1 minute ago, bastion said:

Kingsground at Enslow were advertising a mooring a few days ago.

Thats a good point, I forgot about them. Not the easiest people to deal with in my experience though... 

Where are they advertising it?

Its a little marina by the way Nicky. Good community spirit there....

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Thats a good point, I forgot about them. Not the easiest people to deal with in my experience though... 

Where are they advertising it?

Its a little marina by the way Nicky. Good community spirit there....

I think Tiff had it on a Facebook page, it was a' in the woods mooring' 

38 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

It might be worth phoning them today, most marinas have staff on duty on a Sunday.

I'm not sure there IS any 'staff' at Enslow Marina. The guv'nor Richard deals with it all himself I suspect.

"Marina" is overselling the place by the way. It is a layby with about 15 boats on finger moorings.

Far preferable to a real marina.

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm not sure there IS any 'staff' at Enslow Marina. The guv'nor Richard deals with it all himself I suspect.

"Marina" is overselling the place by the way. It is a layby with about 15 boats on finger moorings.

Far preferable to a real marina.

For the end-on moorings there's a railway line (don't know how busy it is..) within a few metres.

However, an earlier post said "in the woods mooring" - thus a bit further away from the trains, and don't mind the overhanging trees.

6 hours ago, rustynewbery said:

Cropredy Marina has recently changed owners and it's planning consent does not permit residentials. 

The leisure moorings at Lower Heyford are not residential but I know certain people who lived aboard there for quite some time :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, nicky79 said:

If you dont get sorted send me a pm. The Churchill is awesome, all the best people have their ops there ?

18 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

The leisure moorings at Lower Heyford are not residential but I know certain people who lived aboard there for quite some time :rolleyes:

If you dont get sorted send me a pm. The Churchill is awesome, all the best people have their ops there ?

But I'm street legal now?  Others still do, though?

16 hours ago, nicky79 said:

Im sure he is ' will try to get him tomorrow although I have just disccovered boat i was looking at is probably a scam  so not in so much of a rush untill I can find another. thanks for everyones help though?

It is still worth getting a mooring, even with no boat. Moorings are a little harder to find than boats!!

2 minutes ago, Old Son said:

It is still worth getting a mooring, even with no boat. Moorings are a little harder to find than boats!!

On the other hand, I suspect the whole of Nicky's plan might have been based on the fraudulent and misleading website above, which says you can get a decent 50ft narrowboat for about £8k.