Brinklow Marina contact

deckhand

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

From some ex moorers I was talking to today I would suggest it was sloopy business practices which has probably cost him a lot of income over the past few years

We moored there for three years starting 2010 - it was always hit and miss getting hold of someone. Invoicing for the marina fees was also very random and we often went months owing money.

10 hours ago, Howlynn12 said:

Thank you but I like to look for the best in people , often disappointed though but I won’t turn into a cynic just yet as more important things to deal with . Thank you for taking the time to respond .

You will find a lot of good genuine people in the inland boating business who are good at what they do but crap business people, who dont reply to calls, answer of even read emails, have no idea about finance, time keeping of planning.

12 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

You will find a lot of good genuine people in the inland boating business who are good at what they do but crap business people, who dont reply to calls, answer of even read emails, have no idea about finance, time keeping of planning.

Maybe we just touched lucky at the 2 previous marinas we were in as they provided contracts , receipts etc and any queries . 

38 minutes ago, Howlynn12 said:

Maybe we just touched lucky at the 2 previous marinas we were in as they provided contracts , receipts etc and any queries . 

I'd say most marinas being multi-million £ businesses tend to be run on quite a professional basis, but otherwise the world of canal boating is stuck in the 1950s in terms of customer service, i.e. the business is run to suit the business owner, rather than you the customer.

This IS part of the charm of the waterways and don't be surprised or upset, if and when you encounter it, which you certainly will. The thing is, out on the cut you need the business as much as they need you and today's media tends to lead people to think the customer is king, which on the cut they are not. It is roughly equals each way. 

4 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'd say most marinas being multi-million £ businesses tend to be run on quite a professional basis, but otherwise the world of canal boating is stuck in the 1950s in terms of customer service, i.e. the business is run to suit the business owner, rather than you the customer.

This IS part of the charm of the waterways and don't be surprised or upset, if and when you encounter it, which you certainly will. The thing is, out on the cut you need the business as much as they need you and today's media tends to lead people to think the customer is king, which on the cut they are not. It is roughly equals each way. 

Agree. There's some lovely quirky chandllers where we love to stop and have a chat and find all sorts in apparently disorganised premises. . Feels sad that the majority of the ones we used have shut in the last 5 or 10 years-at a time when there are far more boats around. 

Surely the inability to contact the owner only matters if you believe that the original contract provided for a refund if giving notice part way through. That is not universal and, at present, I don't think we have heard that it definitely was a possibility. Until that is the case the moorer has not actually lost anything.

22 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Surely the inability to contact the owner only matters if you believe that the original contract provided for a refund if giving notice part way through. That is not universal and, at present, I don't think we have heard that it definitely was a possibility. Until that is the case the moorer has not actually lost anything.

Both the last three moorings I have had didn't, That is why they charge less for booking a year rather that 6 or 9 months

7 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Both the last three moorings I have had didn't, That is why they charge less for booking a year rather that 6 or 9 months

I know it's late and I'm probably not at my brightest but this is quite difficult to understand. My confusion starts with "both the last three" but does not end there!?

• Happy 1

Their terms and conditions do state that payments to the boat owner will be made on leaving the marina. But "special conditions " on the application form state no refunds.

That's fine unless no one owns up to being responsible.

Edited by Boater Sam

11 hours ago, frahkn said:

I know it's late and I'm probably not at my brightest but this is quite difficult to understand. My confusion starts with "both the last three" but does not end there!?

Any business making time based charges for rent or something very similar has to do a quite difficult calculation regarding voidage. That is to say, what proportion of the available time will actually be covered by rent, or whatever? To assume that you will get 100% is a quick way to ruin - it won't happen.

As a result, when working out the likely income (and from that setting rental levels) the business will seek ways to minimise voidage. The shorter the term of the let (and hence the greater number of changeovers and voidage) the greater the rental tom achieve the same level of income. Most marinas are simply investments and the annual income which the business needs to satisfy its investors (even if a 'family' business) will be a percentage of the capital value.

Obviously, if it is possible to assume long term lets then it will be possible to set slightly lower rentals and, conversely, the greater the flexibility given to the moorer, the greater the rental (mooring fee) will be. That is to say, the moorer is buying not just the mooring space but also something for the flexibility. The most expensive flexibility to buy is to be able to cancel at no (or very short) notice since the expected income will disappear until the mooring can be re-let. Occasionally in similar situations the landlord (or whatever) will offer the opportunity to give short notice but will make some sort of charge until it is re-let, at which point the remainder of the contract period will be cancelled or refunded.

It is important to remember that 'losing money' (in the terms in which the issue was originally raised) is not limited to those who pay a lump sum up front. If you sign up to making 12 monthly payments then, unless the contract says otherwise, you will be liable to continue making the payment seven if you wish to leave early. One was of looking at the 'fairness' of the deal is to think about it in reverse. What would you do if, part way through a fixed fee period, the marina came along and said that despite the contract it wanted to double the fees? Quite rightly you would respond by saying, "Tough, you signed a contract and I will stay until it ends". And a court would probably uphold that position. It can be tempting to see contracts only from one point of view but, for them to be valid, they have to be equally fair to both parties. Persuading a court that a specific contract term is unfair may be harder than imagined!

6 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Their terms and conditions do state that payments to the boat owner will be made on leaving the marina. But "special conditions " on the application form state no refunds.

That's fine unless no one owns up to being responsible.

Thanks Sam, got it it in one. Park Farm rates below 

Capture.JPG

The Park Farm T&C's make no reference to a refund - in general they seem a little light compared with others. One other set I looked at states that a contract can be terminated early at three months notice and that 10% admin fee will be deducted from any refunds.

On 11/11/2019 at 21:00, Howlynn12 said:

Thank you very much . The marina is probably only half full and as no one if there for enquiries and or to answer phones it’s looking like moorers are not required as there isn’t a way of obtaining one . The pontoons are in a poor state of disrepair-treacherous in some places so maybe it’s being run down . I’ll contact Companies House and keep my fingers crossed . I’m worn out with it all as I’ve been trying all contact since end of August . If I’ve managed to stop other people parting with their funds something good will have come out of it .

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment . I abhor injustice but I abhor sheer rudeness even more and to me that is what ignoring phone calls , emails , letters and texts is . I am at a loss how anyone at the marina past or present can get any issues resolved if there is no point of contact . Thank you again . 

33 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

The Park Farm T&C's make no reference to a refund - in general they seem a little light compared with others. One other set I looked at states that a contract can be terminated early at three months notice and that 10% admin fee will be deducted from any refunds.

Thank you . I have actually worked at a Marina where refunds were given and we were refunded from Dunchurch Pools after 18 months after signing and paying for 3 years . It is not receiving any contract that causes doubt as to whether it is their policy ? How does one know what the conditions of moorings / moorers etc are if no contract is given at time of securing mooring ? 
thank you for taking the time to comment .

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, Howlynn12 said:

Thank you . I have actually worked at a Marina where refunds were given and we were refunded from Dunchurch Pools after 18 months after signing and paying for 3 years . It is not receiving any contract that causes doubt as to whether it is their policy ? How does one know what the conditions of moorings / moorers etc are if no contract is given at time of securing mooring ? 
thank you for taking the time to comment .

Surely you check the T&Cs before paying, not after.  If you pay without knowing whether a refund would be due, there's not really much you can do about it.

34 minutes ago, adam1uk said:

Surely you check the T&Cs before paying, not after.  If you pay without knowing whether a refund would be due, there's not really much you can do about it.

Thank you . The owner wasn’t there ,only a chap who was helping out as harbour master had left with no notice due to a falling out . We could not have known any of this prior to payment as seems the set up changed . We paid  to secure mooring with promise of receipt and T&C’s to follow but they didn’t materialise and still haven’t . We have been boating for 10 years , haven’t encountered this way of doing things before .

• 1 month later...
On 10/08/2019 at 21:46, deckhand said:

We have today tried many different ways to get hold of someone at Brinklow Marina to make some enquiries into  mooring. We turned up at the gate, which was padlocked. Loads of vehicles and boats inside but no-one around. We called the mobile number on the gate , got an answer machine, called the main landline number, answer machine. found another mobile, answer machine. Left message but no-one has called back. I cannot get their web site to work properly either, it keeps dropping into a "cannot connect you at this time mode".

Its very strange. Maybe someone knows something that I don't or maybe has another way of contacting. Can anyone help?

A contact has just come up on Face Book in the Narrowboat Owners Group, someone called  Andy Edwards, says he is one of the harbour masters.

10 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

A contact has just come up on Face Book in the Narrowboat Owners Group, someone called  Andy Edwards, says he is one of the harbour masters.

Thank you so much for this information. Unfortunately I am not on Facebook . If there are any contact details on there for this chap ( although I do have 3 telephone numbers which I leave messages on once a week ) I would appreciate it if you could let me know . I still haven’t had a response from emails , letters which have been signed for , telephone calls and texts . I have looked at T & C’s and although we didn’t receive a copy of this they are on website to download and they do issue refunds but you need to give 16 weeks notice ? Which is rather a lot as sometimes things happen in life that you can’t foresee 4 months in advance but even so I have been trying to give notice since end of August , beginning of September last year and we paid at end of April so we are legally entitled to a refund but no response in any shape or form has been forthcoming . Thank you for responding to this information and I may just have to go there in person although whether the Harbour Master can deal with financial concerns to the Marina is in doubt in my opinion . I won’t give up though . 

6 hours ago, Howlynn12 said:

Thank you so much for this information. Unfortunately I am not on Facebook . If there are any contact details on there for this chap ( although I do have 3 telephone numbers which I leave messages on once a week ) I would appreciate it if you could let me know . I still haven’t had a response from emails , letters which have been signed for , telephone calls and texts . I have looked at T & C’s and although we didn’t receive a copy of this they are on website to download and they do issue refunds but you need to give 16 weeks notice ? Which is rather a lot as sometimes things happen in life that you can’t foresee 4 months in advance but even so I have been trying to give notice since end of August , beginning of September last year and we paid at end of April so we are legally entitled to a refund but no response in any shape or form has been forthcoming . Thank you for responding to this information and I may just have to go there in person although whether the Harbour Master can deal with financial concerns to the Marina is in doubt in my opinion . I won’t give up though . 

Just his name to click on, sorry.  maybe join FB get the info and leave. You could always leave fake ID info.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Just his name to click on, sorry.  maybe join FB get the info and leave. You could always leave fake ID info.

Thank you . It is strange as when I made my weekly calls today , one of the phones is now a vodaphone and not EE as previously . Surprise !! Still no response . I have a friend who is on FB I’ll get her to look into it for me . Myself and my other half are so fed up and worn out now that I think we’ll go there as we still have gate key as legally we still have a mooring as no one has responded to our giving notice . Shame on them I say . Thank you once again for thinking of me upon the new information coming to light . Companies House are showing in RED that Brinklow Marina is in the process of being dissolved so I’ll go through them . Nothing short of theft really especially now I’ve seen the T & C’s which are not given at time of payment, you have to find them yourself . Not always easy for boaters to get on the web . Thank you again .

2 hours ago, Howlynn12 said:

Thank you . It is strange as when I made my weekly calls today , one of the phones is now a vodaphone and not EE as previously . Surprise !! Still no response . I have a friend who is on FB I’ll get her to look into it for me . Myself and my other half are so fed up and worn out now that I think we’ll go there as we still have gate key as legally we still have a mooring as no one has responded to our giving notice . Shame on them I say . Thank you once again for thinking of me upon the new information coming to light . Companies House are showing in RED that Brinklow Marina is in the process of being dissolved so I’ll go through them . Nothing short of theft really especially now I’ve seen the T & C’s which are not given at time of payment, you have to find them yourself . Not always easy for boaters to get on the web . Thank you again .

I would say "You wont believe this" but you will, I can't find the posting now, maybe its been removed.

10 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I would say "You wont believe this" but you will, I can't find the posting now, maybe its been removed.

Strange . Maybe something to do with me leaving a message today ? Maybe just a coincidence. Thank you for letting me know .