Brinklow Marina contact

deckhand

Featured Posts

38 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Sorry but if you have no receipt then there is no proof of you paying a mooring fee, only that you paid them something.
And if you have no Contract then you cannot prove that you are entitled to any refund.
The fact that they have farmland that is being worked does not necessarily mean that someone is being paid. They could easily (and likely) have leased the land to a farmer who works it for his own benefit.
As it has been suggested that Companies House are in the throws of putting the Company into Administration your only option will be to contact the Administrator and try to prove you are a creditor of the Company. Good luck with that if you have no Contract!

By the sounds of it the ONLY response you will get will be from the Administrator and I very much doubt that will be favourable.

That seems to be the general consensus on here . Thank you . At least , as I’ve said it might deter other potential moorers parting with any monies because any contract or receipt that is promised won’t be issued . Not in my experience anyway . 
thank you all for your input . 

No real help to you, but I can confirm that in the past the certainly did issue fairly formal paperwork signed by both parties.

One of our oats was brought out of the marina, and I still have a copy of the previous owners mooring application form, albeit that it is from 2008.

I was surprised to see he had to pay an "entry fee" in addition to his first years mooring - presumably you may have done likewise?

FWIW it is signed by director Adrian Hallam, the name that still appears on companies house registration, so if Mr Hallam has gone under, he managed to stay in business a decade before he did.

1 minute ago, alan_fincher said:

No real help to you, but I can confirm that in the past the certainly did issue fairly formal paperwork signed by both parties.

One of our oats was brought out of the marina, and I still have a copy of the previous owners mooring application form, albeit that it is from 2008.

I was surprised to see he had to pay an "entry fee" in addition to his first years mooring - presumably you may have done likewise?

FWIW it is signed by director Adrian Hallam, the name that still appears on companies house registration, so if Mr Hallam has gone under, he managed to stay in business a decade before he did.

Thank you . No we didn’t have to pay a entry fee . We just rang the number on the gate the harbour master gave us a yearly price and bank details on a scrap of paper with a promise of receipt and contract which never materialised . No harbour master since . I am aware of the owners name and recorded delivery mail has been signed for at the marina but not by Mr Hallam ? Quite a mystery .

5 minutes ago, Howlynn12 said:

Thank you . No we didn’t have to pay a entry fee . We just rang the number on the gate the harbour master gave us a yearly price and bank details on a scrap of paper with a promise of receipt and contract which never materialised . No harbour master since . I am aware of the owners name and recorded delivery mail has been signed for at the marina but not by Mr Hallam ? Quite a mystery .

I wish you well, but like others I fear that this really doesn't sound at all promising, I'm afraid.

We did used to have forum members that moored there - I'm not sure if we still do.

6 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I wish you well, but like others I fear that this really doesn't sound at all promising, I'm afraid.

We did used to have forum members that moored there - I'm not sure if we still do.

Thank you very much . The marina is probably only half full and as no one if there for enquiries and or to answer phones it’s looking like moorers are not required as there isn’t a way of obtaining one . The pontoons are in a poor state of disrepair-treacherous in some places so maybe it’s being run down . I’ll contact Companies House and keep my fingers crossed . I’m worn out with it all as I’ve been trying all contact since end of August . If I’ve managed to stop other people parting with their funds something good will have come out of it .

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, matty40s said:

This is quite interesting, I'm supposed to be dropping a boat in there this week, I will speak to the owner in the morning to find out how they made contact and how much they have paid.

That would be interesting . Please try to explain to the owner what is happening to me and for him to ask for receipt and contract before payment . Life can change and we can’t always stay in one place or indeed keep our boats , our circumstances changed overnight , unforeseen so I’d like all new moorers there to bear this in mind . Thank you and I’ll be interested to learn of the policy the owner you are dealing with is made aware off . PS please check pontoon as some are collapsing - you may even find it’s our mooring . How ironic would that be !! 

This is quite interesting, I'm supposed to be dropping a boat in there this week, I will speak to the owner in the morning to find out how they made contact and how much they have paid.

3 hours ago, Howlynn12 said:

No not at all . We had a super berth and paid for 3 years . Only left as bought ila property in Dunchurch itself . Was refunded immediately. Joe the owner could not be more helpful . All the staff are very helpful and all queries dealt with immediately. Office open long hours and phones always answered . 

I won’t give up just yet . Out of principal I’d like a response .

I only ask as we popped into Dunchurch a week or so ago, got fuel. Very nice lass served us promptly and efficiently. Very keen to get the word out that they are trying to start a Chandlers. So if anyone in the area wants something tell them and they'll get it in at a competitive cost. Looks good. Is there power and water available at the berths?

3 hours ago, Howlynn12 said:

No not at all . We had a super berth and paid for 3 years . Only left as bought ila property in Dunchurch itself . Was refunded immediately. Joe the owner could not be more helpful . All the staff are very helpful and all queries dealt with immediately. Office open long hours and phones always answered . 

I won’t give up just yet . Out of principal I’d like a response .

I only ask as we popped into Dunchurch a week or so ago, got fuel. Very nice lass served us promptly and efficiently. Very keen to get the word out that they are trying to start a Chandlers. So if anyone in the area wants something tell them and they'll get it in at a competitive cost. Looks good. Is there power and water available at the berths?

10 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

There's another marina in that general area that you should be wary of. I suspect you may already be aware. From comments made to me in passing some months ago leopards do not change their spots.

6 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Oh it’s all singing all dancing at Dunchurch . Non slip pontoons - some extra wide - hook up electric , water points - some berths have a water point for each boat !! The pipes are heated too would you believe ? to stop pipes and water freezing over winter . Joe the owner is so passionate about this marina . Lovely staff . Quite rural - no buses so you’d need a car .

On 11/11/2019 at 22:35, Slim said:

There's another marina in that general area that you should be wary of. I suspect you may already be aware. From comments made to me in passing some months ago leopards do not change their spots.

Thank you . We’ve had to sell our boat now unfortunately but it is making us wary should we be able to purchase another in the future . No I’m not aware of any others that are being unmanaged and no communication or response ? 

Up until June of this year we moored at Brinklow (4 years total),

from what we could find out Adrian was very rarely present and very much hands off with the marina, it wasn't unusual to pay by cheque in march and not have the cheque paid in until December, in general up until a few months before leaving there were no issues as the harbourmaster (Eric if memory serves) was present most of the time and when he wasn't the mobile phone was passed to someone else there.

In general the marina was basic but well maintained with pontoons cleaned every couple of months (with care taken not to move the muck onto the moored boats).

The last time we were there the marina was noticably emptier of boats (not unusual for mid summer, but there were no cars parked to account for the missing boats) our neighbours told us that the harbourmaster had left following a falling out with the owner and a lot of long standing moorers had left with him.

We also noted that was a broken pontoon and were told that a new boat owner had misjudged speed & wind a few weeks earlier and very neatly knocked a section out roughly 20 feet from the end, given the length of the pontoons there this still left that pontoon usable even by full length boats.

The phone No we used to contact them on was 07956 140642

Edited to add...

You may want to contact other local canal based business to see if they have any up to date contact details

businesses that spring to mind (in order of likelihood)...
Armada boat hire

Rose Narrowboats

Lime Farm marina

Edited by Jess--

4 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

from what we could find out Adrian was very rarely present and very much hands off with the marina, it wasn't unusual to pay by cheque in march and not have the cheque paid in until December, in general up until a few months before leaving there were no issues as the harbourmaster (Eric if memory serves) was present most of the time and when he wasn't the mobile phone was passed to someone else there.

In general the marina was basic but well maintained with pontoons cleaned every couple of months (with care taken not to move the muck onto the moored boats).

The last time we were there the marina was noticably emptier of boats (not unusual for mid summer, but there were no cars parked to account for the missing boats) our neighbours told us that the harbourmaster had left following a falling out with the owner and a lot of long standing moorers had left with him.

We also noted that was a broken pontoon and were told that a new boat owner had misjudged speed & wind a few weeks earlier and very neatly knocked a section out roughly 20 feet from the end, given the length of the pontoons there this still left that pontoon usable even by full length boats.

Thank you . That is one of the numbers I have been calling since end of August. Our pontoon was also broken and was given same reason ( that a new boater pulled ropes too tight ) that was when there was a harbour master in September. 
Thank you for taking the time to reply .

we eventually climbed over the gate and spoke to Eric. He looks after the marina. very helpful. we have our boat moored there and when we were at the boat last weekend, there were a lot more boats in there than in the last couple of weeks so assuming many have come in for the winter.  We are advised that the owner keeps making himself unavailable and that the boaters order their own coal and supplies. No diesel available either at the moment. AM watching all info with interest.

2 minutes ago, deckhand said:

we eventually climbed over the gate and spoke to Eric. He looks after the marina. very helpful. we have our boat moored there and when we were at the boat last weekend, there were a lot more boats in there than in the last couple of weeks so assuming many have come in for the winter.  We are advised that the owner keeps making himself unavailable and that the boaters order their own coal and supplies. No diesel available either at the moment. AM watching all info with interest.

Thank you . Yes , Eric took over from the harbour master who was there at time of our securing mooring in August , he is very helpful but he isn’t involved in answering phones etc which he did inform us of . We were told by our neighbour at Marina at time of leaving that there wasn’t a harbour master so to speak . It’s a mystery for sure as how do boaters secure moorings if there is no reply to the 3 phone numbers or emails . I am still phoning , leaving messages and sending emails every other day and still no response at all .  Having no supplies will surely cause problems to some moorers in the winter if they are iced in or wind won’t allow them to cruise to pick up coal & gas or diesel . The pump out was broken at time of our leaving also . It’s supposed to have a token that you collect from the harbour master !?! I’ll let you know if I ever get a response but I doubt it very much .

15 minutes ago, Howlynn12 said:

...took over from the harbour master who was there at time of our securing mooring in August...

To whom you appear to have given cash and from whom you received no receipt or any kind of evidence of a contract.  With said Harbourmaster now gone, there appears to be an unfillable gap between your payment and any arrangement with the owner.  I have a terrible feeling that should you ever have success in talking to the owner, your successes will end at that point. :(

16 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

To whom you appear to have given cash and from whom you received no receipt or any kind of evidence of a contract.  With said Harbourmaster now gone, there appears to be an unfillable gap between your payment and any arrangement with the owner.  I have a terrible feeling that should you ever have success in talking to the owner, your successes will end at that point. :(

Thank you . We wanted to moor there as it is a quiet small marina and to secure a mooring we expected to pay , which we were happy to do ( we were not aware at that time that no receipt or contract would be forthcoming ) we paid by bank transfer but as mentioned the receipt and contract didn’t materialise . I have proof of payment and what the payment was for and to whom but with hindsight had I been informed that there wasn’t any person to communicate with and no paperwork we wouldn’t have chosen to moor there . Had it not been for our unfortunate , unforeseen drastic change in circumstances we could have remained on our mooring but that was not to be . Thank you for taking the time to respond .

6 hours ago, Jess-- said:

Edited to add...

You may want to contact other local canal based business to see if they have any up to date contact details

businesses that spring to mind (in order of likelihood)...
Armada boat hire

Rose Narrowboats

Lime Farm marina

Thank you Jess . I have contacted other numbers and businesses and have been given additional contact information but again , no response . Apparently I am not the only person trying to make contact with the owner . 

4 hours ago, Howlynn12 said:

Thank you . We wanted to moor there as it is a quiet small marina and to secure a mooring we expected to pay , which we were happy to do ( we were not aware at that time that no receipt or contract would be forthcoming ) we paid by bank transfer but as mentioned the receipt and contract didn’t materialise . I have proof of payment and what the payment was for and to whom but with hindsight had I been informed that there wasn’t any person to communicate with and no paperwork we wouldn’t have chosen to moor there . Had it not been for our unfortunate , unforeseen drastic change in circumstances we could have remained on our mooring but that was not to be . Thank you for taking the time to respond .

I feel for you, I really do, and certainly don't think you've brought this upon yourself.  You acted in good faith, which ought to be repaid and is definitely something I think we should seek to preserve.  I cant help but wonder if the bank account details were those of the former Harbourmaster, but his departure may be just an unfortunate coincidence further complicating the difficult situation in which you've found yourself.  I hope this has a happy ending, but also I'd recommend that, particularly since you've already suffered, you try to watch for the point at which you should draw a line under this so as you don't lose a lump of yourself as well as a chunk of money.  My sincere best wishes. :)

33 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I feel for you, I really do, and certainly don't think you've brought this upon yourself.  You acted in good faith, which ought to be repaid and is definitely something I think we should seek to preserve.  I cant help but wonder if the bank account details were those of the former Harbourmaster, but his departure may be just an unfortunate coincidence further complicating the difficult situation in which you've found yourself.  I hope this has a happy ending, but also I'd recommend that, particularly since you've already suffered, you try to watch for the point at which you should draw a line under this so as you don't lose a lump of yourself as well as a chunk of money.  My sincere best wishes. :)

33 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Thank you so much . It was definitely the sort code and the a/c number for Brinklow Marina Ltd . My bank confirmed this . Also , this information was given to me by the person who kind of took over after the harbour master left . He wasn’t taking over any admin or calls he was just helping out with the outstanding issues from the previous harbour master if that makes sense . I will persevere as I don’t like injustice and I certainly can’t understand why I haven’t had receipt in the first instance or contract and no response to my calls etc . It just doesn’t make sense . I’ve worked in a marina and moored in 2 previously and have always had a point of contact and relevant paperwork given . You are right in saying that I will eventually have to stop as we have enough going on family wise but to pay a year and only be there not even 5 months and had no one to give notice to or explain why is quite disappointing and frustrating . Your good wishes are much appreciated. 

2 hours ago, Howlynn12 said:

I certainly can’t understand why I haven’t had receipt in the first instance or contract and no response to my calls etc . It just doesn’t make sense .

Forgive me for commenting, but you seem to be assuming all marinas are run professionally, competently an honestly. Might I venture to suggest the details you've posted so far suggest at worst, quite the opposite is the case at Brinklow Marina now? And at best, some personal disaster has perhaps befallen the guv'nor there leading him to have other priorities in his life, more urgent and demanding than his marina business? Pure speculation on my part though. 

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Forgive me for commenting, but you seem to be assuming all marinas are run professionally, competently an honestly. Might I venture to suggest the details you've posted so far suggest at worst, quite the opposite is the case at Brinklow Marina now? And at best, some personal disaster has perhaps befallen the guv'nor there leading him to have other priorities in his life, more urgent and demanding than his marina business? Pure speculation on my part though. 

From some ex moorers I was talking to today I would suggest it was sloopy business practices which has probably cost him a lot of income over the past few years

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Unfortunately I am one of those people who expect businesses to be run with some modicum of honesty and professionalism. It did cross my mind that the owner had other things going on in his life , we did in quite unforeseen circumstances overnight , but have since found out from other replies that this is not unusual for the owner of this marina to  not respond to correspondence, phone calls or replenish stock at marina etc . This was from a moorer that left recently too . Any response would be appreciated which is why I asked on here if anyone knew anything . Thank you for taking the trouble to respond . 

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

From some ex moorers I was talking to today I would suggest it was sloopy business practices which has probably cost him a lot of income over the past few years

Thank you . I am getting that impression from quite a few people . Such a shame as there must be moorers desperate for moorings there yet cannot make contact .

thank you again . 

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You have much to learn, Grasshopper.....

Thank you but I like to look for the best in people , often disappointed though but I won’t turn into a cynic just yet as more important things to deal with . Thank you for taking the time to respond .