Visitor mooring signs

CompairHolman

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Maybe the sign wasn't wide enough to say ;

"Max 14 Free days Per Month"

Exactly. There is a hole in the logic of those signs. There needs to be a "No return within 'X' days" condition stated too.  

But I would imagine the legality is the same as permits them to sell long term towpath moorings, and winter moorings. Presumably NABO are satisfied these are legal or there would have been a challenge years ago.  

17 minutes ago, CompairHolman said:

Can anyone give me a summary of what the latest thinking is on the legality of these kind of signs claiming "payments" for mooring on the towpath in contradiction of the statutory 14 days ?  

I know it was being challenged by NABO or the like ?

IMG_20140726_134558.jpg.e46a1ba70258008bc3b3b5f1d64d7ac8.jpg

If you can find something to keep you in Stoke Bruerne for more than a day let me know. 

Perhaps I’m missing something and it should read £50 a night. Are they under selling themselves? 

I’m sure this had been discussed on here before. 

Has anyone ever paid the extra?

Hopefully it is being challenged, can’t be legit surely? 

1 minute ago, Goliath said:

Hopefully it is being challenged, can’t be legit surely? 

I'd have thought the sign would need enough info on it for them to show the boater had entered willingly into a contract, just like those mooring restriction signs on the Thames at Reading, Chertsey, Kingston etc.

And as Alan Fincher usually points out, they are offering extra days at a price but without giving a method of payment, so how can ANY boat accept the offer and comply?

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Bet they tell you its two days max, and to move on.

You’re probably right. 

So what has Stoke Bruerne to offer? Worth £25 a day 

a very good museum

an excellent Indian restaurant (allegedly)

a run of the mill pub 

Did the village in past years ever have a permanent cluster or community of boats that wouldn’t move on? Prompting 2 days and move on or pay. 

5 minutes ago, Goliath said:

You’re probably right. 

So what has Stoke Bruerne to offer? Worth £25 a day 

a very good museum

an excellent Indian restaurant (allegedly)

a run of the mill pub 

Did the village in past years ever have a permanent cluster or community of boats that wouldn’t move on? Prompting 2 days and move on or pay. 

Have to say, I'm as underwhelmed as you by Stoke Bruerne. 

The only thing going for it was that boat weight machine thing and the museum. Ok that's two things. 

I suppose it has a tunnel too, for gongoozlers to peer into and the quaint blacksmith for people to marvel at.   

Boaters seem to like run-of-the-mill pubs though. Especially if they serve big portions of cheap low low quality food and indifferent beer. The Wharf at Fenny Compton being an excellent example too.

They have a trip boat that enters the tunnel and then causes chaos but reversing out and winding. I would be very disappointed if I paid for a trip on it thinking I was going through the tunnel and then find out if only goes in for about 30'.

11 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Have to say, I'm as underwhelmed as you by Stoke Bruerne. 

The only thing going for it was that boat weight machine thing and the museum. Ok that's two things. 

I suppose it has a tunnel too, for gongoozlers to peer into and the quaint blacksmith for people to marvel at.   

Boaters seem to like run-of-the-mill pubs though. Especially if they serve big portions of cheap low low quality food and indifferent beer. The Wharf at Fenny Compton being an excellent example too.

And the weight machine thing has gone, hasn’t it? 

I understand some of the historic value of the village, and it’s importance 

But..Pay£25? to stay. 

Pay me £30 to stay I’ll think about it. 

Edited by Goliath

3 minutes ago, Goliath said:

And the weight machine thing has gone, hasn’t it? 

Yes it has gone. I meant to say there is still a space for people to imagine how it used to be there. Not that SB was even the place where it was ever used for real, IIRC. 

Sorry but people are missing the message. " This is a popular mooring so you are welcome to stop for 2 days then move on to allow others to enjoy the amenities" . Whats difficult to understand?. To many barrackroom lawyers.

22 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

They have a trip boat that enters the tunnel and then causes chaos but reversing out and winding. I would be very disappointed if I paid for a trip on it thinking I was going through the tunnel and then find out if only goes in for about 30'.

The sign calls them tunnel mouth trips, so I don't believe anyone thinks they're actually going all the way through and back. 

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Slim said:

Sorry but people are missing the message. " This is a popular mooring so you are welcome to stop for 2 days then move on to allow others to enjoy the amenities" . Whats difficult to understand?. To many barrackroom lawyers.

The dissonance between this message and that there are usually hardly any boats moored there? 

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The dissonance between this message and that there are usually hardly any boats moored there? 

When did you actually last take a boat there, Mike?

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You checked every boat was overstaying??

You miss the point. It only took one. And to suggest I checked everyone is to only prove the barrackroom lawyer mentality