Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

NEW: Following member feedback, we now have a Mooring & Marina Review forum. Post your review here.

CompairHolman

Visitor mooring signs

Featured Posts

Can anyone give me a summary of what the latest thinking is on the legality of these kind of signs claiming "payments" for mooring on the towpath in contradiction of the statutory 14 days ?  

 

I know it was being challenged by NABO or the like ?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_20140726_134558.jpg.e46a1ba70258008bc3b3b5f1d64d7ac8.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stupid thing is, why would they limit you to 14 days a month if they were actually going to take £25 a day off you.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Stupid thing is, why would they limit you to 14 days a month if they were actually going to take £25 a day off you.

Maybe the sign wasn't wide enough to say ;

 

"Max 14 Free days Per Month"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Maybe the sign wasn't wide enough to say ;

 

"Max 14 Free days Per Month"

 

Exactly. There is a hole in the logic of those signs. There needs to be a "No return within 'X' days" condition stated too.  

 

But I would imagine the legality is the same as permits them to sell long term towpath moorings, and winter moorings. Presumably NABO are satisfied these are legal or there would have been a challenge years ago.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, CompairHolman said:

Can anyone give me a summary of what the latest thinking is on the legality of these kind of signs claiming "payments" for mooring on the towpath in contradiction of the statutory 14 days ?  

 

I know it was being challenged by NABO or the like ?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_20140726_134558.jpg.e46a1ba70258008bc3b3b5f1d64d7ac8.jpg

 

 

If you can find something to keep you in Stoke Bruerne for more than a day let me know. 

 

Perhaps I’m missing something and it should read £50 a night. Are they under selling themselves? 

 

I’m sure this had been discussed on here before. 

Has anyone ever paid the extra?

Hopefully it is being challenged, can’t be legit surely? 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Goliath said:

Hopefully it is being challenged, can’t be legit surely? 

 

I'd have thought the sign would need enough info on it for them to show the boater had entered willingly into a contract, just like those mooring restriction signs on the Thames at Reading, Chertsey, Kingston etc.

 

And as Alan Fincher usually points out, they are offering extra days at a price but without giving a method of payment, so how can ANY boat accept the offer and comply?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AFAIK nothing legally has changed so the contents of a previous thread would still be relevant - might be worth a search?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

Bet they tell you its two days max, and to move on.

 

 

You’re probably right. 

 

So what has Stoke Bruerne to offer? Worth £25 a day 

 

a very good museum

an excellent Indian restaurant (allegedly)

a run of the mill pub 

 

 

 

Did the village in past years ever have a permanent cluster or community of boats that wouldn’t move on? Prompting 2 days and move on or pay. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Goliath said:

You’re probably right. 

 

So what has Stoke Bruerne to offer? Worth £25 a day 

 

a very good museum

an excellent Indian restaurant (allegedly)

a run of the mill pub 

 

 

 

Did the village in past years ever have a permanent cluster or community of boats that wouldn’t move on? Prompting 2 days and move on or pay. 

 

 

 

 

Have to say, I'm as underwhelmed as you by Stoke Bruerne. 

 

The only thing going for it was that boat weight machine thing and the museum. Ok that's two things. 

 

I suppose it has a tunnel too, for gongoozlers to peer into and the quaint blacksmith for people to marvel at.   

 

Boaters seem to like run-of-the-mill pubs though. Especially if they serve big portions of cheap low low quality food and indifferent beer. The Wharf at Fenny Compton being an excellent example too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They have a trip boat that enters the tunnel and then causes chaos but reversing out and winding. I would be very disappointed if I paid for a trip on it thinking I was going through the tunnel and then find out if only goes in for about 30'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

 

Have to say, I'm as underwhelmed as you by Stoke Bruerne. 

 

The only thing going for it was that boat weight machine thing and the museum. Ok that's two things. 

 

I suppose it has a tunnel too, for gongoozlers to peer into and the quaint blacksmith for people to marvel at.   

 

Boaters seem to like run-of-the-mill pubs though. Especially if they serve big portions of cheap low low quality food and indifferent beer. The Wharf at Fenny Compton being an excellent example too.

And the weight machine thing has gone, hasn’t it? 

 

I understand some of the historic value of the village, and it’s importance 

 

But..Pay£25? to stay. 

 

Pay me £30 to stay I’ll think about it. 

 

 

Edited by Goliath

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Goliath said:

And the weight machine thing has gone, hasn’t it? 

 

 

Yes it has gone. I meant to say there is still a space for people to imagine how it used to be there. Not that SB was even the place where it was ever used for real, IIRC. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry but people are missing the message. " This is a popular mooring so you are welcome to stop for 2 days then move on to allow others to enjoy the amenities" . Whats difficult to understand?. To many barrackroom lawyers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

They have a trip boat that enters the tunnel and then causes chaos but reversing out and winding. I would be very disappointed if I paid for a trip on it thinking I was going through the tunnel and then find out if only goes in for about 30'.

The sign calls them tunnel mouth trips, so I don't believe anyone thinks they're actually going all the way through and back. 

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Slim said:

Sorry but people are missing the message. " This is a popular mooring so you are welcome to stop for 2 days then move on to allow others to enjoy the amenities" . Whats difficult to understand?. To many barrackroom lawyers.

 

The dissonance between this message and that there are usually hardly any boats moored there? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

The dissonance between this message and that there are usually hardly any boats moored there? 

 

 

When did you actually last take a boat there, Mike?

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I turn up and it's full with overstayers.

 

This was intended as a reply to Mike.

 

Rules are rules, it's called Society

Edited by Slim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

About five years ago!

 

 

I rest my case!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

And your evidence is?

It happened last year (to me)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

You checked every boat was overstaying??

 

 

You miss the point. It only took one. And to suggest I checked everyone is to only prove the barrackroom lawyer mentality

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.