Does anyone recognise this inverter?

wetfoot

Featured Posts

My son inherited this inverter when he bought his wide beam. It seems to work but there is no maker's name on it.

Looking on the web these 2000W inverters can cost anything from £100 to nearly £800 so it would be good to know at which end of the spectrum this one fits.

If anyone can recognise it and can give me a maker's name or a link to where one can be found I'd be very grateful.

(The small LCD appears to show the power being drawn in Watts and if I try to draw too much current the thing beeps at me)

IMG_20190809_192152.jpg.26f68420fa94bc0a25100956519f5697.jpgIMG_20190809_192152.jpg.26f68420fa94bc0a25100956519f5697.jpg

IMG_20190809_192228.jpg.dee1f673368e451928c42c86406e72be.jpg

IMG_20190809_192140.jpg

IMG_20190809_192329.jpg

IMG_20190809_192309.jpg

If the makers or vendors are not willing to put their name on it, I know which end of the quality spectrum I would expect it to be.

That said it might be 'overrun production' from a   Chinese maker of non Chinese  top name stuff.

Oink Oink, flap, flap.

N

I think the name "Heng Fu" might just give aways its origins.

£800+ inverters tend to be hard-wired whilst cheaper ones tend to have the 13a sockets.

There is very little difference between the CE (China Export Mark) and the CE (European Conformite mark)

Intent to deceive ?

The mark on the inverter looks like the China version to me.

Image result for ce china export mark

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think the name "Heng Fu" might just give aways its origins.

£800+ inverters tend to be hard-wired whilst cheaper ones tend to have the 13a sockets.

There is very little difference between the CE (China Export Mark) and the CE (European Conformite mark)

Intent to deceive ?

The mark on the inverter looks like the China version to me.

Image result for ce china export mark

That's a new one to me. Not heard of the China Export CE wheeze before. Pure coincidence that they look so similar of course.

Jen

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

That's a new one to me. Not heard of the China Export CE wheeze before.

You are not the only one.

manufacturers of CE marked 'quality' products have been fighting a 'trade mark' battle with the Chinese for many years certainly since before I retired 20 years ago.

Easily recognised when you know what to look for.

Can you see the difference ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

12 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

I agree that it can only be from the cheap end of the market, given that there is no name/brand etc.

Having said that, it wouldnt surprise me if I were to open up my thousand pound inverter charger up and find a few chinese bits in it.

Everything electronic has Chinese bits in it. Much of the worlds stuff is made there, so you won't be able to find an entirely Western, let alone UK gadget. The difference is if it is designed properly to accepted standards, the design tested to see if it will survive for a reasonable time in its likely working environment and manufactured in a factory where component traceability and manufacturing quality are enforced. Western companies tend to do this as a matter of course as they have learnt that the reputation damage isn't worth the cost saving. There are exceptions, see Boeing recently and tend to happen when bean counters overrule engineers. The top end of Chinese companies are the same now. The problem is that these low end, no-name inverters are made in fly by night factories and rely on their market by new customers being attracted by the low price, only to find that there is a reason when they cease to work, or blow up. Ebay and Amazon etc can be used by small traders in China and HK to circumvent the rules about what electronic equipment can be imported in to the UK and other (at this moment) EU countries. Particularly around proper CE, rather than kid on China Export CE marking and the record keeping associated with that.

Jen

15 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

That's a new one to me. Not heard of the China Export CE wheeze before. Pure coincidence that they look so similar of course.

Jen

Really? I thought everyone knew about the Chinese CE marks by now. They've been around for at least decade.

• Greenie 1

18 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Jen

Also a coincidence that the small towns of Ajimu and Innai were combined into the city of Usa ...

On 09/08/2019 at 22:05, Richard10002 said:

I agree that it can only be from the cheap end of the market, given that there is no name/brand etc.

Having said that, it wouldnt surprise me if I were to open up my thousand pound inverter charger up and find a few chinese bits in it.

That's partly my thinking. I wasn't aware of a thriving silicon valley in the UK making electronic components. A Chinese capacitor soldered onto a circuit board in China is much the same as a Chinese capacitor soldered onto a circuit board in Liverpool. 

OK, Thanks to all who replied. It seems to be a cheap inverter made in China with Chinese parts as opposed to an expensive one made in the UK with Chinese parts. But it's quite old and still works so, as it's no longer really needed I'll probably fleabay it. (Was thinking of using in the car on camping trips so my wife can use a hair dryer when we are away from civilisation but drawing over 150A from the battery just to power a hair dryer is not practical)

5 hours ago, wetfoot said:

That's partly my thinking. I wasn't aware of a thriving silicon valley in the UK making electronic components. A Chinese capacitor soldered onto a circuit board in China is much the same as a Chinese capacitor soldered onto a circuit board in Liverpool. 

It is not where the parts are manufactured that causes issues, but the design of the circuitry containing said parts.

Inverters from manufacturers such as Mastervolt and Victton use circuits which perform much more safely than cheap Chinese inverters.

Edited by cuthound
To remove a letter masquerading as a space

Yes, everything else my son has installed on the boat to do with solar power, batteries, inverters, controllers etc. is Victton. Very good quality and a lovely matching blue (:-) colour. Maybe that's why he passed this old one over to me! I'll stick it on fleabay for 60 or 70 quid.