Finding the Best Kettle

Parahandy

Featured Posts

https://neweybloomer.co.uk

For Years I have persevered with many a Kettle , in fact at one point it almost developed into a Fetish with me , you know how it is when something has to look aesthetically pleasing as well as to do the job for which it was intended . I started to lust after one of these in the Link above but was put off by the Price , coming from a Working Class background anyone who spent £200 on a Kettle would be promptly branded an Idiot and to tell the truth with the passage of time I had almost forgotten about Newey and Bloomer and their stunning Kettles .

About two years ago I walked into a second hand shop called G Dads just South of Cosgrove which is sadly no longer with us and to my amazement upstairs was the Kensington Kettle Brand New though tarnished and with all its Paperwork , it was priced at £20 and I couldn't believe it . Well that was my first Simplex Kettle and I decided I would look for another for the Back Cabin but would I be lucky twice  Last Summer I visited the Black Country Museum and it was literally awash with these locally Produced Kettles , I inquired if any were for Sale but none were , but you have so many I said to the Bloke with an incredulous look on my face . My luck was to change however earlier on this Year when I visited Knebworth Antique Fair , I came upon Simplex Number 2 hanging from an awning and again priced at £20 , I took it down from the display and walked over to the Stall Holder with a manic grin on my face , the Bloke even offered to wrap it for me . Later on we fell into conversation and it transpired that he had carted this Kettle throughout England attempting to sell it but to no avail . everyone has an Electric one nowadays he explained . When I got the Kettle back to the Boat I was disappointed to find that it didn't whistle which for me is an essential , you can actually hear these Kettles 150 yards away on the Towpath . I compared it with Kettle number one and found that the problem was the lid so I promptly ordered a new one along with some new Brass nuts and bolts from the Manufacturer , with a £20 purchase price whats to lose ? Shortly I am off back to the Boat and listen to my newly refurbished Kettle as the parts finally arrived this afternoon , what a sad life I lead I can hear you say and to be honest I dont really mind because happiness is a funny thing . The next time any of you are in a second hand shop I urge you to take a look , they are easily recognised and the seller never understands their true value , avoid Ebay as they inevitably ask too much and part of the joy is in the finding and besides , you simply wont buy a better Kettle , this is the best money can buy .

23 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

For Years I have persevered with many a Kettle , in fact at one point it almost developed into a Fetish with me , you know how it is when something has to look aesthetically pleasing as well as to do the job for which it was intended . I started to lust after one of these in the Link above but was put off by the Price , coming from a Working Class background anyone who spent £200 on a Kettle would be promptly branded an Idiot and to tell the truth with the passage of time I had almost forgotten about Newey and Bloomer and their stunning Kettles .

About two years ago I walked into a second hand shop called G Dads just South of Cosgrove which is sadly no longer with us and to my amazement upstairs was the Kensington Kettle Brand New though tarnished and with all its Paperwork , it was priced at £20 and I couldn't believe it . Well that was my first Simplex Kettle and I decided I would look for another for the Back Cabin but would I be lucky twice  Last Summer I visited the Black Country Museum and it was literally awash with these locally Produced Kettles , I inquired if any were for Sale but none were , but you have so many I said to the Bloke with an incredulous look on my face . My luck was to change however earlier on this Year when I visited Knebworth Antique Fair , I came upon Simplex Number 2 hanging from an awning and again priced at £20 , I took it down from the display and walked over to the Stall Holder with a manic grin on my face , the Bloke even offered to wrap it for me . Later on we fell into conversation and it transpired that he had carted this Kettle throughout England attempting to sell it but to no avail . everyone has an Electric one nowadays he explained . When I got the Kettle back to the Boat I was disappointed to find that it didn't whistle which for me is an essential , you can actually hear these Kettles 150 yards away on the Towpath . I compared it with Kettle number one and found that the problem was the lid so I promptly ordered a new one along with some new Brass nuts and bolts from the Manufacturer , with a £20 purchase price whats to lose ? Shortly I am off back to the Boat and listen to my newly refurbished Kettle as the parts finally arrived this afternoon , what a sad life I lead I can hear you say and to be honest I dont really mind because happiness is a funny thing . The next time any of you are in a second hand shop I urge you to take a look , they are easily recognised and the seller never understands their true value , avoid Ebay as they inevitably ask too much and part of the joy is in the finding and besides , you simply wont buy a better Kettle , this is the best money can buy .

I got a simplex from a car boot....for £5.....I couldn’t move quick enough!  

Saw it on a stall...turned it over....saw the name..tried to keep a poker face as I handed over the cash! 

Edited by frangar

6 minutes ago, frangar said:

I got a simplex from a car boot....for £5.....I couldn’t move quick enough!  

Saw it on a stall...turned it over....saw the name..tried to keep a poker face as I handed over the cash! 

Brilliant ?

9 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I had one of those kettles. I think I paid £35 at an antique shop. I kept it for a good 10 years but I got rid of it in the end. It looked nice but despite descaling it just wasn't very good as a kettle

Kept it 10 years and it wasn't any good ? 

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

I had one of those kettles. I think I paid £35 at an antique shop. I kept it for a good 10 years but I got rid of it in the end. It looked nice but despite descaling it just wasn't very good as a kettle

Bit late now but I would have helped you out by swapping it for one of my two B&M kettles.

I once was the proud owner of a cheap tin camping kettle. I put it on to make tea and nodded off. When I woke up to make the tea I was surprised to find a tin kettle kit lying on the stove amongst the flames. The thing had boiled dry causing the solder to run and it had opened up like a tulip into a set of original parts.  I didn't buy a new kettle but soldered it all back together, after which it lasted another two years before its bottom rusted through.  I boiled the water for tea that night in an old baked bean tin.  Whilst soldering up that kettle I also made a new tea cup by bending up and soldering a thin strip of brass for a handle to a Fray Bentos suet pudding tin which are an ideal shape for the purpose of tea drinking, but very hot on ones lips. :(

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, bizzard said:

I also made a new tea cup by bending up and soldering a thin strip of brass for a handle to a Fray Bentos suet pudding tin which are an ideal shape for the purpose of tea drinking, but very hot on ones lips. :(

Here's a suggested improvement... apply a strip of insulation tape around the top of the tin. For better economy you could just apply it to the side you drink from.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Here's a suggested improvement... apply a strip of insulation tape around the top of the tin. For better economy you could just apply it to the side you drink from.

I suffered the pain, paying penance although I'm not a Hindu

£235!!!....I better polish up the 35 year old one on NB Earnest.

Personally I find the functionality of our barge kettle superior - Wesco classic

Large bottom area, heats up in a jiffy, precision fitting lid and as for whistle, the piercing Germanic note means you soon turn off the gas.

wesco.jpg

I had to go and look...............ours says le creuset on it.........................it err boils the water..........................it has boiled the water for several years..............when it dies we will buy whatever is in whatever shop that is selling kettles at the time .................Am I allowed to continue using this one? 

Edited by mrsmelly
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Neil TNC said:

£235!!!....I better polish up the 35 year old one on NB Earnest.

Personally I find the functionality of our barge kettle superior - Wesco classic

Large bottom area, heats up in a jiffy, precision fitting lid and as for whistle, the piercing Germanic note means you soon turn off the gas.

wesco.jpg

I owned this Wesco prior to the Simplex , in black and chrome it came from John Lewis . the first problem was how hot the Kettle Handle became when Boiling , the second was the Black Paint pitting and lifting on the bottom section of the kettle , the third was a leak it sprung on the seam where the spout joins the main body . This Kettle Test has been brought to you by Parahandy and all material is copyright . ? Seriously Neil it was a lovely Kettle but I was sorely disappointed

8 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

I owned this Wesco prior to the Simplex , in black and chrome it came from John Lewis . the first problem was how hot the Kettle Handle became when Boiling , the second was the Black Paint pitting and lifting on the bottom section of the kettle , the third was a leak it sprung on the seam where the spout joins the main body . This Kettle Test has been brought to you by Parahandy and all material is copyright . ? Seriously Neil it was a lovely Kettle but I was sorely disappointed

You sad old git :D

4 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

I'm starting to think I'm the only one that invested in a £5.99 B&M kettle. Proud owner of two. Or cheapskate.

But... water boils in them, they both whistle, neither of them leak and neither of them dribble. Unlike me.

Same here. I can't remember how much I paid, but my kettle wasn't expensive. Originally it was a red kettle, but when the red started to peel off, 5 minutes with a brush and a pot of paint stripper turned the kettle into a bight stainless steel one. I can't really feel the need to replace it.

On 10/08/2019 at 14:14, mrsmelly said:

I had to go and look...............ours says le creuset on it.........................it err boils the water..........................it has boiled the water for several years..............when it dies we will buy whatever is in whatever shop that is selling kettles at the time .................Am I allowed to continue using this one? 

Typical Brexiteer. 

• Haha 1

On 09/08/2019 at 18:38, Parahandy said:

I had to have a look at the link to see what the fuss is about. Never heard of them. 

But it turns out that’s what I have!

Bought it awhile back for maybe £25 on ebay (I’m too mean to have paid more, and would have thought it a tad extravagant at the time)

Good kettle, and kept on the stove over winter. 

Never worked out what that metal plate inside, is for. The bit that rattles. Does it somehow help speed up the boiling?

When I fit out my next boat I,m going to build a heat exchanger  in the engine cooling circuit  , to feed a  a big brew can then I will always have hot brew water on tap ,, also  hotplate on the exhaust manifold suitable for fry ups like we used to do on old lorries 

28 minutes ago, RonnieF1967 said:

I was very lucky to get one of these beauties off Ebay for £21 including postage, retails around the £90 mark, very pretty and functional! 

Kettle.jpg

That is handsome indeed. is it a Le Creuset?