Recommendations for Gas installer to install gas oven, grill hob in boat to lpg bottle

Rich2019

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, Rich2019 said:

Hi can anyone recommend a gas man to install our oven grill and hob in our boat please ? 

Are you liveaboards ?

Simply asking as you need a higher qualified installer if you liveaboard and the boat must be 'plumbed in' in accordance with the GSIUR regulations.

If it a 'holiday' boat the GSIUR regulations do not apply.

This is useful to know because I've just ordered a new cooker. I assumed I could just swap the two over. (old one works fine but I'm redoing the kitchen and the old one isn't suitable anymore - anyone want a cooker?). So will I need to find a gas man as well?

3 hours ago, NB Caelmiri said:

This is useful to know because I've just ordered a new cooker. I assumed I could just swap the two over. (old one works fine but I'm redoing the kitchen and the old one isn't suitable anymore - anyone want a cooker?). So will I need to find a gas man as well?

My understanding is you can do gas yourself so long as you are competent.  Others may disagree.

3 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

My understanding is you can do gas yourself so long as you are competent.  Others may disagree.

All I'll be doing it swapping the gas outlet pipe from one cooker to another. Can't see how I can fail that! It'd be like swapping the gas pipe from one LPG cylinder to another. Perhaps I should get a gas man to give it a nod once its done.

3 minutes ago, NB Caelmiri said:

Can't see how I can fail that! It'd be like swapping the gas pipe from one LPG cylinder to another.

If you don't get a perfect seal on a gas-cylinder change over, the gas leak flows thru' the purpose designed vent in the purpose designed gas locker and safely overboard.

Have you got a 'bubble-tester' in your gas-line ?

If you get a 'wee-bit' of a leak on the cooker connection the gas sinks into the bilges and can sit for weeks / months/ years just building up until there is enough to go "BOOM"

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If you don't get a perfect seal on a gas-cylinder change over, the gas leak flows thru' the purpose designed vent in the purpose designed gas locker and safely overboard.

If you get a 'wee-bit' of a leak on the cooker connection the gas sinks into the bilges and can sit for weeks / months/ years just building up until there is enough to go "BOOM"

With that in mind, I'll get a gas man in to do it. ?

11 minutes ago, NB Caelmiri said:

All I'll be doing it swapping the gas outlet pipe from one cooker to another. Can't see how I can fail that! It'd be like swapping the gas pipe from one LPG cylinder to another. Perhaps I should get a gas man to give it a nod once its done.

Just goes to show how little you know about gas then :P

A gas geezer swapping them over will commision the appliance in accordance with the instructions in the manual and carry out the four statutory safety checks. Ventilation, flue (not applicable with a cooker), working gas pressure and correct operation of the safety devices. Along with levelling the cooker and fitting some sort of stability device e.g. a securing chain to the wall. Swapping the gas pipe over is but a minor part of installing a cooker!

Edit to add:

None of this stuff is difficult and you can probably do it yourself, its just that there is more to it than just swapping the gas pipe over without having a leak.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

6 hours ago, Rich2019 said:

Hi can anyone recommend a gas man to install our oven grill and hob in our boat please ? 

There are girly gas fitters too!

In case you don't know, gas fitters need to have additional qualifications to work on LPG and another to work on boats. It is possible to search the gas safe register to find someone with all the paperwork. See this recently revived thread:

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/99135-gas-engineer-near-thorne-south-yorkshire/&do=findComment&comment=2228116

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

22 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

There are girly gas fitters too!

In case you don't know, gas fitters need to have additional qualifications to work on LPG and another to work on boats. It is possible to search the gas safe register to find someone with all the paperwork. See this recently revived thread:

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/99135-gas-engineer-near-thorne-south-yorkshire/&do=findComment&comment=2228116

Jen

In theory there may be girlies (your word and most certainly not mine) but just had a look in the gloucester area and for LPG boats there are none..........

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Not necessarily. Some years ago, one of the owners of an Ownerships boat was changing the cylinder, and didn't turn off the old one (which wasn't empty). Result was "BOOM", windows blown out, singed eyebrows, and a slightly convex cabin shape ...

On 09/08/2019 at 19:16, adrianh said:

I think you will need to talk to the local boatyards and see if they can help you. You may have to go to Trowbridge or Devizes for this 

No, there are guys down in Bristol docks who have the relevant LPG and boat qualifications.

But I'm guessing that Rich2019's boat isn't in Warmley even if he is.

Steve