Planning to become a live aboard advice please

Canalnewbie1987

Featured Posts

Hi

we are planning on buying a boat and becoming live aboards. We have been researching alot but one thing still I am unable to find any information on. And that is, when you are a live aboard, home address issues. I understand that if you are having a permanent mooring you can use your marina as your address, but what if you are a continuous cruiser? I also understand you can hire an address through boatmail.com or what ever for your mail to be collected but my worry is that in April I qualify as an early years educator so will leave my job at the hospital and get a new job in a nursery. So when I apply for work they will ask for my address for receiving pay etc. I can't use friends or family's for personal reasons, so would places if work accept the boat mail etc? What does every one else do that are continuously cruising? Also my boat licenses etc will need address, so what do others do?  Tia for advice

Vicky x

6 hours ago, Canalnewbie1987 said:

in April I qualify as an early years educator so will leave my job at the hospital and get a new job in a nursery. So when I apply for work they will ask for my address for receiving pay etc. I can't use friends or family's for personal reasons, so would places if work accept the boat mail etc?

Presumably if you are working in a 'fixed location' (a nursery school) then you will not be cruising very far, maybe you could ask a local pub if you can use their addrsss as a C/o, or arrange with a local Post Office a 'Post Restante' address.

Have you confirmed that your ability to move about meets the C&RT criteria for CCing ?

From the C&RT guidelines :

Therefore to remain in the same neighbourhood for more than 14 days is not permitted. The
necessary movement from one neighbourhood to another can be done in one step or by short gradual
steps. What the law requires is that, if 14 days ago the boat was in neighbourhood A, by day 15 it
must be in neighbourhood B or further afield. Thereafter, the next movement must be at least to
neighbourhood C, and not back to neighbourhood A (with obvious exceptions such as reaching the
end of a terminal waterway or reversing the direction of travel in the course of a genuine cruise).

Unacceptable reasons for staying longer than 14 days in a neighbourhood or locality are a need to
stay within commuting distance of a place of work or of study (e.g. a school or college).

To add to what Alan said even though it is technically off topic. Have you researched how you are going to keep your batteries charged well enough so they last more than a very few weeks?

Arguably the two things that catch new boaters out most often  are,as Alan says, the CaRT rules for CCing and ongoing electrical problems because the batteries are never charged enough.

I suspect it will be the individual employer who will decide it a Boatmail or similar address is acceptable. One thing that did come up in the recent Scouts on boats topic was that someone had a very difficult job getting the authorities to issue him a disclosure certificate (or whatever its called) without a fixed place of abode. Many people would not have gone to the lengths he had to so be wary.

Just dug it out for your consideration:-

Yes a crb check. On paper it sounds a good thing but of course its not thought out properly. A few years ago after I had qualified as a DSA ADI in other words, driving instuctor the law changed and driving instructors had to have the check to qualify. Those of us already qualified had to obtain one before renewing our licences. I used my local pub for care of mail to do with such like and when form came I filled it in and stated I lived on my boat with the pub as a care of address, they refused to issue me with the form stating the law says I had to include postcode where I lived. I again sent it off and stated I didnt have a postcode as I moved about and lived on a boat, again they refused to issue, this would mean my licence would be revoked. I spoke to a senior office bod about it who said to comply with the law i must include a postcode of my home address. I was not going to be beaten by stupid beaurocracy so I copied my discharge form from the Royal navy stating exemplary conduct, I copied my release from the police as injured on duty with exemplary conduct. I also attached a note stating I was in receipt of a police pension and had obtained 7 justices on/off licences, I lived on a boat and the crb check was to do with complying with the law so wasnt going to pretend to live at my care of address to comply. I also said in the covering letter how much fun such as the sun newspaper would have if I lost my licence due to the beaurocratic nonsense. Very soon after I received my crb check with a bullshit covering letter stating that after consideration blah blah blah on this occsion it would be issued, I still have the form!! Typical over kill one size fits all when it most certainly doesnt. I often wish they had denied me the form as I soon after packed in and would have loved to see how it turned out in court. I used to give pretend addresses to doctors, dentists etc but no longer do as put them behind the 8 ball and they fold.

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Greenie 1

I have tried Google but I wanted to seek advice from some one who has done this, I am aware of all the rental post boxes etc thank you and the terms of CRT. I just wondered if there was a cc'er out there who had a fixed location job and was doing so successfully with no address issue's. 

Thankyou

Vicky x

8 minutes ago, Canalnewbie1987 said:

I have tried Google but I wanted to seek advice from some one who has done this, I am aware of all the rental post boxes etc thank you and the terms of CRT. I just wondered if there was a cc'er out there who had a fixed location job and was doing so successfully with no address issue's. 

Thankyou

Vicky x

Most use someone elses address. I have used many on occasion when it has suited me, the local pub for one. Many people fib as our silly systems cannot cope in the UK with anyone who doesnt comply and have a postcode. You could tell your employer precisely the facts and they should be able to accomodate. I take it you have to have a crb check for the new job so you will have given an address to get that done? I can give you advice on how to deal with that silly system if not as it happened to me.

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Most use someone elses address. I have used many on occasion when it has suited me, the local pub for one. Many people fib as our silly systems cannot cope in the UK with anyone who doesnt comply and have a postcode. You could tell your employer precisely the facts and they should be able to accomodate. I take it you have to have a crb check for the new job so you will have given an address to get that done? I can give you advice on how to deal with that silly system if not as it happened to me.

Thank you 

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, Canalnewbie1987 said:

So when I apply for work they will ask for my address for receiving pay etc. I can't use friends or family's for personal reasons, so would places if work accept the boat mail etc? 

Try telling the truth.

"I live on a boat, It's not in a marina, I travel around a set route so I have to pick up my post."

At interview you don't want to leave doubt in anyone's mind, especially as they'll probably check you on Social Media as well.  So it needs to tie up.  Things like your DBS can be easily confused and keep putting you to the bottom of the pile.

5 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Try telling the truth.

"I live on a boat, It's not in a marina, I travel around a set route so I have to pick up my post."

At interview you don't want to leave doubt in anyone's mind, especially as they'll probably check you on Social Media as well.  So it needs to tie up.  Things like your DBS can be easily confused and keep putting you to the bottom of the pile.

Before the interview for this current job I debated this and decided to not mention it, sort of fudge the issue.

Anyway midway through the interview,  the chap interviewing me wanted to pop out for a ciggy ( at this point I basically had the job), so stood outside chatting general stuff and the big boss contract manager turns up.

I knew him of old, worked for him at various roles, first thing he said was.

" Hello, heard you were joining us, still live on the narrowboat?"

Busted :)

9 hours ago, Canalnewbie1987 said:

Hi

we are planning on buying a boat and becoming live aboards. We have been researching alot but one thing still I am unable to find any information on. And that is, when you are a live aboard, home address issues. I understand that if you are having a permanent mooring you can use your marina as your address, but what if you are a continuous cruiser? I also understand you can hire an address through boatmail.com or what ever for your mail to be collected but my worry is that in April I qualify as an early years educator so will leave my job at the hospital and get a new job in a nursery. So when I apply for work they will ask for my address for receiving pay etc. I can't use friends or family's for personal reasons, so would places if work accept the boat mail etc? What does every one else do that are continuously cruising? Also my boat licenses etc will need address, so what do others do?  Tia for advice

Vicky x

Probably not going to help you much if you can't use friends/family addresses but I'm a continuous cruiser (4 years now) and for official post (boat licence, bank address, driving licence etc. etc.) I'm having to use my parent's address which they're fine about, thankfully. I wouldn't expect to be able to use a PO Box or similar for official post.

I realise that Boatmail exists but I'd personally be pretty hesitant to use something like that for anything important. It all looks a bit amateur to me and I'd be pretty cautious about things like polling cards, bank statements, anything of value or importance to go to such a service, but happy to be corrected if anyone is using it and have had a positive experience. Not sure if places of work would accept boat mail, you'll have to ask them. Would my employer? Probably but luckily I'm able to use my parent's address so not something I've had to find out.

Most services (mobile phone operator, bank etc.) will more than happily email you statements/bills, which is how I get more or less all my bills but you still need to have a proper registered address. So unfortunately that will most likely mean talking to a friend or family member. Otherwise I honestly don't know if there are any other options, excepting getting yourself into a marina.

Feel free to try boatmail and if they don't abscond off with your private mail, let us all know!

3 hours ago, Murflynn said:

the search engine on this forum is not the best

In my experience the search engine here is truly excellent!

Crafting your search term is the key to getting a search engine to perform. People blaming the search tool for their crap search terms is widespread though. 

31 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

In my experience the search engine here is truly excellent!

Crafting your search term is the key to getting a search engine to perform. People blaming the search tool for their crap search terms is widespread though. 

I stand fall corrected, your honour!

1 hour ago, NB Caelmiri said:

Feel free to try boatmail and if they don't abscond off with your private mail, let us all know!

I think your comment is a bit dodgy without evidence that this happens.

If you are in possession of proof this is the case then name and shame. 

If you're defence is that it might happen, prove it couldn't.  Then how would you feel if you read on here 

"Feel free to offer a tow to the owners of NB Caelmiri and if they don't abscond off with your equipment, let us all know!

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, zenataomm said:

I think your comment is a bit dodgy without evidence that this happens.

If you are in possession of proof this is the case then name and shame. 

If you're defence is that it might happen, prove it couldn't.  Then how would you feel if you read on here 

"Feel free to offer a tow to the owners of NB Caelmiri and if they don't abscond off with your equipment, let us all know!

You're quite right. Probably an unreasonable/unfair comment. I certainly don't have any evidence.

I always found ‘if you want me to work for you, you have to allow my private post to come to my work address’

car insurance is a far more difficult issue because insurers demand a residential address and an overnight address. Believe me if you dont tell them the truth  , say its with relies and crash into a bus stop with people on it you personally will be liable.

Info systems on modern cars give alot of info out if investigated post accident.

14 hours ago, Canalnewbie1987 said:

I understand that if you are having a permanent mooring you can use your marina as your address...

You may have misunderstood: In general if you have a permanent mooring it won't be residential so in most cases you shouldn't use your marina as your address unless you have a residential mooring.

14 minutes ago, blackrose said:

You may have misunderstood: In general if you have a permanent mooring it won't be residential so in most cases you shouldn't use your marina as your address unless you have a residential mooring.

Cannot.

Every marina I have used has stated in the T&Cs that a 'leisure moorer' cannot use the marina as a postal address.

At a local level the 'manager' can agree to accept (say) a 'one-off' or emergency delivery but at his discretion.

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

i think i have misunderstood, can you explain further as im now confused ?

8 minutes ago, Canalnewbie1987 said:

i think i have misunderstood, can you explain further as im now confused ?

There are two options for mooring :

1) Residential

This has planning permission from the Council for residential use and will be subject to Council Tax.

You can liveaboard (just as you can live in a house)

You will be entitled to an 'address' so can vote, register with a Doctor, have a postal address etc etc.

2) Leisure.

This has planning permission to be used for leisure use only and usually the Planning permission will stipulate the maximum number of days that the boat can be 'slept-on'

You cannot use the address for any 'official' documents, or receive mail.

You cannot register to vote, or at the Doctors etc etc.

You don't pay council tax.

The other option is not to have a mooring and to "CC", this saves you money but does have commitments that must be honoured (particularly the distance travelled, and not staying in one area due to work, schools etc)

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 2