Looking for new cooker..

Featured Posts

Hey all,

Currently looking for a new cooker and I've narrowed it down to a few.

- Statesman Legacy (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Statesman-Legacy-Freestanding-LPG-Cooker-Silver-50LPG-Boat-Caravan/273353609835). This is my last choice because it doesn't have a grill section.

- Calor Gas twin cavity (https://www.calor.co.uk/shop/all/in-the-home/lpg-cookers/calor-twin-cavity-cal-tc-50-lpgw.html) which was my first choice until 5 minutes before I rang them about it , the pulled the plug on the battery ignition model.

- Nordmende twin cavity (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nordmende-CTG51LPGBK-Gas-Twin-Cavity-LPG-Gas-Black-50cm-Cooker-CTG51LPGBK/131955549048?hash=item1eb929e378:g:YPkAAOSwWSlb4yBn) - is an alternative to the Calor Gas one.

I spoke with the sales person at Calor gas expressing my dismay they were no longer doing the battery ignition model and asked "Can I just light it with matches/a handheld igniter?" to which she replied "I'm not sure I'd recommend that".

Is there any reason why I can't just use a handheld igniter with any of these cookers and not have them plugged in at all?

Cheers!

Probably because Calor would have to do a full risk assessment resulting in a requirement to wear fire proof gloves and a full face shield to mitigate against being slow to light the gas and getting a bit of a whooomp as it ignites, taking the little hairs off the back of your hand.

Edited by Chewbacka

Ive just bought and fitted the Belling FS50GTCL having looked at many to include the horrible small boat unit that I had fitted. It is exellent in every way. The only thing needed is an inverter for the oven light ( never, ever use one ) and the igniter. My boat is all mains 24/7 365 so a perfect cooker. If it didnt have the mains I would simply use a match or one of those gas lighting jobbies. £320 delivered from Argos ebay in less than 24 hours.

Edited by mrsmelly

Excellent. I'm going to order a cooker and to hell with the igniter. I was just curious as to whether there was some modern safety system in place that didn't let you ignite the hobs unless you did it by the in-built igniter.

Cheers chaps!

48 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Ive just bought and fitted the Belling FS50GTCL having looked at many to include the horrible small boat unit that I had fitted. It is exellent in every way. The only thing needed is an inverter for the oven light ( never, ever use one ) and the igniter. My boat is all mains 24/7 365 so a perfect cooker. If it didnt have the mains I would simply use a match or one of those gas lighting jobbies. £320 delivered from Argos ebay in less than 24 hours.

You can get that from Ao for £310, hats off to you for being a Yorkshireman that doesn't miss a tenner.?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

You can get that from Ao for £310, hats off to you for being a Yorkshireman that doesn't miss a tenner.?

? I bought my fridge from AO they are useless, delivered it four days later than supposed to do. I wont even look at their website now. Argos were awesome and rang me to arrange delivery next morning!! which they did with two blokes to put it wherever I wanted........................a tenner though.............................?

Word of warning check carefully that it doesn't have any fans for cooling.

My New World needs 230v for the igniters and it says in small print in the manual that you can light the hob and grill without 230v but not the oven due to the cooling fans.

2 minutes ago, Loddon said:

My New World needs 230v for the igniters and it says in small print in the manual that you can light the hob and grill without 230v but not the oven due to the cooling fans.

Wise words. The cheaper cookers seem generaly to have non of the unecessary gimmicks such as fans and digital timers which is what I always check before purchase. Fans can draw a substantial amount of lectric.

35 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Thanks for the heads up! Just had a look at the manual for the cooker I've just ordered (this one - https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/ctg51lpgbk/nordmende-ctg51lpgbk-50cm-lpg-gas-cooker)

Manual Ignition of the Gas Burners
If your appliance is not equipped with any ignition aid or in case there is a failure in the electricity network, follow the procedures listed below:

For Hob Burners: To ignite one of the burners, press and turn its knob counter-clockwise so that the knob is in max. position, approach a match, taper or another manual aid to its upper circumference. Move the ignition source away as soon as you see a stable flame.

For Oven Burners: To ignite the oven burner, press and turn the oven control knob counter-clockwise so that the knob is in max. position, approach a match, taper or another manual aid to the ignition hole that is located on the front left corner of the burner. Move the ignition source away as soon as you see a stable flame.

That's good enough for me!

Edited by NB Caelmiri

That Statesman is an ugly looking thing! 

I have a belling though it is a built in oven not a stand alone cooker. Still a couple relevant points maybe...

It has wire side racks to hold the slide in wire shelves. There is a real problem with it - for some reason they made the wire supports only half the depth of the oven, the result being that their fixing holes are not far enough apart to stop them wobbling about as you slide the wire shelves in and out, which causes problems and potential danger as things stick then move suddenly. The other problem with the wire shelves that slide in is that the wire is too far apart to put anything on safely. It's a couple of real rookie mistakes from a manufacturer that should know better. I mention this because one of the reviewers asks if the cooker has folded in supports or wire (on the Normende). I can't remember but on mine it was prolly ok when it was new and shiny. 

Also, mine can only use the top cavity as a grill for some reason, not as a smaller oven. That's what it says. Just stuff to look out for.

Trying to find oven/cooker without digital displays and such (as mine is, and as I believe the o/p requires) really limits the choice (as of course does lpg).

On a plus - I was pleased to find that all the safety features do still work when the power is off (ie flame out). Mine does have a cooling fan - they all seem to now adays for some reason :(

One other thing - speaking to a friend recently, he reckons some ovens (he's thinking in particular of one round his sisters, in a flat) actually reduce the flame to control the heat, which would of course be economical. Mine just has an unsealed section to let out any excess heat :(

I wish someone would make a heat proof led bulb though - I took the filament bulb in the oven out.

On 08/08/2019 at 18:18, Loddon said:

Our barge 600mm Belling is the same, but with power available on that we keep the inverter on all the time.

I wanted a 500mm wide cooker for the new NB, with Mrs TNC's 4 hour days I wanted to stay all 12v, so we don't have to have the inverter on all the time. It seems that most of the 600mm wide ones have a cooling fan, whereas the 500mm ones do not. I have already bought the cooker for the new NB, as it was on offer for £179 (£219 at the moment)

Argos Bush AG56TB

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/4908854

No fan, DOES comes with LPG jets (easy to fit apart from main oven).

Build quality seems OK, apart from knobs, which are a bit flimsy

Easy conversion to 12v ignition with igniter from Midland Swindlers (seemed to be the cheapest place!)

https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/products/ignition-conversion-kit-12v-series-9-hob-gc-154

This unit has enough connections for all the burners.

I still had a couple of 12v high temp lamps floating about, so converted oven light.

The top overhangs at the back, so it will be easy to drill some holes to fix it in.