Why oh why oh why, I simply have to ask!!

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

When our batteries were on the blink, technical term?, we had to run our engine when moored, when we did, and there was another moored boat nearby, I have been known to knock and ask if my fumes were effecting there space, if it was, then I have a choice.

I can be quite considerate at times.

I can vouch for this... Oxford, East Street, July 2017. First time we met.

On 08/08/2019 at 18:14, Ray T said:

Obituary: Common Sense

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, why life isn't always fair, and how, on occasion, maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not children are in charge) .

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job they themselves failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer aspirin, sun lotion or a sticky plaster to a student; but could not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims. Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar can sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by three stepbrothers; I Know my Rights, Someone Else is to Blame, and I'm a Victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you still remember him pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing.

Author unknown

The irony is that if the people mourning the loss of common sense had taken more responsibility to teach it to their children and grandchildren then maybe common sense would still be alive and kicking - So yeah maybe it was their fault, but they sure seem to talk like they were the only ones who ever did it the right way. 

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

She got the settlement because MacDonald's were serving their coffee at 25 degrees centigrade hotter than the industry standard, a standard that was chosen for reasons of safety, because to serve coffee at the temperature that MacDonalds set as their standard was guaranteed to cause scalding so severe that it would require surgery and skin grafts. It was very unfortunate that the 79 year old Stella Liebeck was so badly injured but it was very brave of her to take on the mighty MacDonalds to ensure that they were held responsible for their bad practice, before a child was injured; could you imagine a little child their face at counter hight scolded so badly that they would have been subjected to horrible surgeries and maimed for life, doesn't bear thinking about does it. Thank all that is goodness for people like Stella Liebeck who are brave enough to challenge MacDonald's lack of common sense. 

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Lily Rose said:

I can vouch for this... Oxford, East Street, July 2017. First time we met.

You remembered, how, er, romantic. Yes I remember now. A great thing is the old brainbox. You can dig stuff up from nowhere, from years ago. Margaret does it all the time, to my detriment.

It probably does occur, but I don't like being talked about when I've gone.

1 hour ago, Tumshie said:

The irony is that if the people mourning the loss of common sense had taken more responsibility to teach it to their children and grandchildren then maybe common sense would still be alive and kicking - So yeah maybe it was their fault, but they sure seem to talk like they were the only ones who ever did it the right way. 

She got the settlement because MacDonald's were serving their coffee at 25 degrees centigrade hotter than the industry standard, a standard that was chosen for reasons of safety, because to serve coffee at the temperature that MacDonalds set as their standard was guaranteed to cause scalding so severe that it would require surgery and skin grafts. It was very unfortunate that the 79 year old Stella Liebeck was so badly injured but it was very brave of her to take on the mighty MacDonalds to ensure that they were held responsible for their bad practice, before a child was injured; could you imagine a little child their face at counter hight scolded so badly that they would have been subjected to horrible surgeries and maimed for life, doesn't bear thinking about does it. Thank all that is goodness for people like Stella Liebeck who are brave enough to challenge MacDonald's lack of common sense. 

I also seem to recall that it was overturned, at least in part, on appeal. 

26 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

You remembered, how, er, romantic. Yes I remember now. A great thing is the old brainbox. You can dig stuff up from nowhere, from years ago. Margaret does it all the time, to my detriment.

It probably does occur, but I don't like being talked about when I've gone.

Oy!

Not romantic, how very dare you. I might just about accept sentimental.

In reality it's partly cos I remember useless random stuff and forget important stuff. As I get reminded from time to time. It's also because it was our first time on the river in our own boat, and we moored somewhere I've been past many times by car/bus/foot so arriving there by boat made it very memorable.

When do you think you'll be on the move again? You must be getting itchy feet (?) by now.

5 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Nope nothing was over turned. It was America so obviously there was an appeal but in this day and age you don't have to try and remember anything, it was a bench mark case so all except the final settlement payment is plastered all over the internet. 

39 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Oy!

Not romantic, how very dare you. I might just about accept sentimental.

In reality it's partly cos I remember useless random stuff and forget important stuff. As I get reminded from time to time. It's also because it was our first time on the river in our own boat, and we moored somewhere I've been past many times by car/bus/foot so arriving there by boat made it very memorable.

When do you think you'll be on the move again? You must be getting itchy feet (?) by now.

There's been an interval in the proceedings, the all necessary and deserved holiday for Vikki and Dan and children. These things never go according to plan, so the boat will be worked on whilst we are House,dog and duck sitting in Hampshire. We are getting very itchy feet and toes, and 'plan' to leave here once we get back from Hampshire on the 2nd September. A big gap but we had planned not to be here during our absence from the boat, but it seems to have worked out okay. My fault, shouldn't  have a rusty boat.

Did I ever say, Langley Boatyard is very much okay? No! Well it is. We are so lucky.

Edited by Nightwatch

6 hours ago, Tumshie said:

Obituary: Common Sense

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, why life isn't always fair, and how, on occasion, maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not children are in charge) .

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job they themselves failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer aspirin, sun lotion or a sticky plaster to a student; but could not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims. Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar can sue you for assault.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by three stepbrothers; I Know my Rights, Someone Else is to Blame, and I'm a Victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you still remember him pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing.

Author unknown

She got the settlement because MacDonald's were serving their coffee at 25 degrees centigrade hotter than the industry standard, a standard that was chosen for reasons of safety, because to serve coffee at the temperature that MacDonalds set as their standard was guaranteed to cause scalding so severe that it would require surgery and skin grafts.

Does anyone remember those pastry parcels filled with a jam type substance, served at lava like temperature? They were nasty if you came into contact with the contents before they had cooled. 

I seem to remember the early paper tea/coffee cups that Mc donalds used had a butterfly shaped paper handle that often detached, depositing the boiling contents into your lap.

1 hour ago, BWM said:

Does anyone remember those pastry parcels filled with a jam type substance, served at lava like temperature? They were nasty if you came into contact with the contents before they had cooled. 

I seem to remember the early paper tea/coffee cups that Mc donalds used had a butterfly shaped paper handle that often detached, depositing the boiling contents into your lap.

Pop Tarts.

• Image result for pop tarts

9 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/heres-what-really-happened-with-that-infamous-mcdonalds-hot-coffee-lawsuit.html/

"In the end, the jury awarded Liebeck $200,000 in compensatory damages and $2.7 million in punitive damages, even though she didn’t ask for it. The punitive damagesamount was reduced to $480,000, which McDonald’s appealed. And eventually the matter was settled for an undisclosed amount."

1 minute ago, Richard10002 said:

https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/heres-what-really-happened-with-that-infamous-mcdonalds-hot-coffee-lawsuit.html/

"In the end, the jury awarded Liebeck $200,000 in compensatory damages and $2.7 million in punitive damages, even though she didn’t ask for it. The punitive damagesamount was reduced to $480,000, which McDonald’s appealed. And eventually the matter was settled for an undisclosed amount."

So did cheat sheet quote wikipedia or the Wikipedia quote cheat sheet ? ?

• Haha 1