Why oh why oh why, I simply have to ask!!

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

20 hours ago, KevMc said:

Maybe it's cos we don't want to insult one boat by mooring closer to the other. If everyone that arrived moored closer to your boat the other boater might think there was something wrong with their's.

Maybe it's cos they see you have left a big gap and think you've done it to make it easy for them to moor in the middle.

Why don't you moor up tight against the other boat ? That way it might suggest to folk that is the way to do things? ?

Yes. I’m sure I recently read a thread where a boater was wondering why on earth someone would moor very close to them when there is plenty of room to leave a big gap. In a sense, you can’t f’**g win, whatever you do.

Im not quite sure how experienced boaters are identified, as against the less experienced.... is it the look, the dress sense, one particular thing they all do..... ??

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I never moor near anyone's stern if I can avoid it. I'm sick of the inconsiderate buggers starting their engine without warning and flooding me with fumes. I leave the biggest gap I can, keep an eye out for anyone trying to moor who can't get in and move up happily. 

Currently at Sutton, with a gap big enough for a seventy footer on each side, and as far away from the bloke running his engine as possible while avoiding overhanging trees. 

I presume the fact thst your exhaust while mooring up probably made his boat unbearable for an hour or two didn't worry you? Unless of course it's one of the vertical ones, in which case it wouldn't have affected him. 

Which is exactly what has now happened. It was obvious I'd hogged one of the few straight bits so I moved up so someone else could get in. They did, moored, opened the doors, went and sat in the boat leaving a very smelly engine running and blowing straight into mine. 

Of course, it's noon, they are perfectly entitled to run it till 8 if they want and I have no cause to complain. I've moved. 

And that's why people leave big gaps - it's not just the leavers who don't consider others. 

19 hours ago, Ray T said:

Obituary: Common Sense

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, why life isn't always fair, and how, on occasion, maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not children are in charge) .

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job they themselves failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer aspirin, sun lotion or a sticky plaster to a student; but could not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims. Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar can sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by three stepbrothers; I Know my Rights, Someone Else is to Blame, and I'm a Victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you still remember him pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing.

Author unknown

So very well put. Wish I could figure how to put that on facebook. Oh well, it probably wouldn't be understood. 

38 minutes ago, jeff thompson said:

So very well put. Wish I could figure how to put that on facebook. Oh well, it probably wouldn't be understood. 

Left click on your mouse and keep it pressesd at the start of the text. Drag the mouse to the end of the text and release the mouse button. Press Ctrl and C on your keyboard. This is copying. Go to Facebook and where you create a new post, press Ctrl and V. This is pasting. ?

Edited by NB Caelmiri

2 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Im not quite sure how experienced boaters are identified, as against the less experienced.... is it the look, the dress sense, one particular thing they all do..... ??

Something to do with teapots on the roof, or so I've heard... ?

Edited by cuthound
Spillung

I think its largely down to the fact that some People simply dont want to encroach on anothers space whilst also in the process give themselves some fresh air between them and their neighbour . I appreciate this sort of behaviour when I am already moored but frown upon it when its pouring with rain and I am desperate to find a spot to berth seventy foot of narrowboat but cant due to this sort of inconsideracy ? Its amazing how tolerant I have become now I have gotten older .

3 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Yes. I’m sure I recently read a thread where a boater was wondering why on earth someone would moor very close to them when there is plenty of room to leave a big gap. In a sense, you can’t f’**g win, whatever you do.

They are identified by their Intelligence Richard ?

23 hours ago, MHS said:

I had a look online the other day, without success, to find “Welcome to moor alongside” stickers. Does anyone know if they are available or do I need to make some of my own?

Things were different on the Thames,  I had my coal boat moored outside a pub I was delivering to.  Along came a huge white cruiser, whose captain very politely asked if he could tie up to my boat.  He and his ladies were quite happy to use the planks that I put over the coal.

4 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

Things were different on the Thames,  I had my coal boat moored outside a pub I was delivering to.  Along came a huge white cruiser, whose captain very politely asked if he could tie up to my boat.  He and his ladies were quite happy to use the planks that I put over the coal.

Something in your post suggests to me that if you own a huge white cruiser you will be surrounded by a bevy of young ladies. However if you have a coal boat you won’t?

Or do you?

2 minutes ago, MHS said:

Something in your post suggests to me that if you own a huge white cruiser you will be surrounded by a bevy of young ladies. However if you have a coal boat you won’t?

Or do you?

You might be surprised, but there ain't much room on a coal boat.

On 08/08/2019 at 18:16, MHS said:

I had a look online the other day, without success, to find “Welcome to moor alongside” stickers. Does anyone know if they are available or do I need to make some of my own?

I couldn't find any so knocked some up on the puter.

6 hours ago, MHS said:

Or do you?

Actually it was his wife and daughters...…..I think.  My wife was with me.

Like an earlier poster, being only 27ft I can frequently get into these gaps.  I particularly remember slowly cruising past the pontoon at Newark eyeing up a gap between two gin palaces.  The owners' looks turned to incredulity as I slotted in with the prow of one actually overhanging my stern.  My usual quip "Always room for a little 'un !" got no reply, and I was studiously ignored until I left next day.

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

On 08/08/2019 at 14:38, Ray T said:

IMHO we are now living in a ME society not a WE society.

And a consequence of that is that even some previously sensible people with inherently good manners are more inclined to look for a 'rule', instead of using their loaf and common sense. 

On 09/08/2019 at 08:39, NB Caelmiri said:

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

"Just on this point, as frivolous as it sounds..."

Metro Friday August 9, 2019, page 11.
"Rail user who slipped on pigeon poo gets £28,000."

"A passenger received a £28,000 payout after they 'possibly slipped' on pigeon poo."

Paddington Rail Station.

Edited by Ray T

21 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Which is exactly what has now happened. It was obvious I'd hogged one of the few straight bits so I moved up so someone else could get in. They did, moored, opened the doors, went and sat in the boat leaving a very smelly engine running and blowing straight into mine. 

Of course, it's noon, they are perfectly entitled to run it till 8 if they want and I have no cause to complain. I've moved. 

And that's why people leave big gaps - it's not just the leavers who don't consider others. 

When our batteries were on the blink, technical term?, we had to run our engine when moored, when we did, and there was another moored boat nearby, I have been known to knock and ask if my fumes were effecting there space, if it was, then I have a choice.

I can be quite considerate at times.

1 hour ago, BWM said:

And a consequence of that is that even some previously sensible people with inherently good manners are more inclined to look for a 'rule', instead of using their loaf and common sense. 

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools. Anon. ?

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, davem399 said:

I bet most of us gents leave a git gap when selecting a urinal!?

That made me think about the Billy Conolley sketch "The Willy Watchers."