Why oh why oh why, I simply have to ask!!

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

Ok heres one that always amazes me. I have seen it many times over the years but at my present mooring I simply am staggered that well in excess of ninety percent of boaters, old or new still do it. We have pull in moorings here that are used several times a day by passing boats for the shop, bar etc etc. There is room for two proper length narrowboats with ease. Over ninety percent of people, in fact nearly every boat pulls right in the middle of the mooring between my boat and the owners at tuther end of moorings. This leaves about sixty feet ish at either side of them so in fact not enough for a narrowboat, just part of one. When I go to such a place I always moor near to one end as common sense and boating experience tells me that is leaving a big gap for at least one more boat even full length. Many of these peeps are experienced boaters so why, oh why does this always happen??? I have monitored this now all summer and the boats that moor sensibly at either end are vanishingly small in number.............confused .com.

• Greenie 2

9 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Ok heres one that always amazes me. I have seen it many times over the years but at my present mooring I simply am staggered that well in excess of ninety percent of boaters, old or new still do it. We have pull in moorings here that are used several times a day by passing boats for the shop, bar etc etc. There is room for two proper length narrowboats with ease. Over ninety percent of people, in fact nearly every boat pulls right in the middle of the mooring between my boat and the owners at tuther end of moorings. This leaves about sixty feet ish at either side of them so in fact not enough for a narrowboat, just part of one. When I go to such a place I always moor near to one end as common sense and boating experience tells me that is leaving a big gap for at least one more boat even full length. Many of these peeps are experienced boaters so why, oh why does this always happen??? I have monitored this now all summer and the boats that moor sensibly at either end are vanishingly small in number.............confused .com.

So that's what you've been doing all summer!

Just now, Nightwatch said:

So that's what you've been doing all summer!

Yeah...................sad innitt ? ya missed an awesome night here last evening, bar was rocking as were the three music band jobbies!!

Maybe it's cos we don't want to insult one boat by mooring closer to the other. If everyone that arrived moored closer to your boat the other boater might think there was something wrong with their's.

Maybe it's cos they see you have left a big gap and think you've done it to make it easy for them to moor in the middle.

Why don't you moor up tight against the other boat ? That way it might suggest to folk that is the way to do things? ?

• Greenie 1

When I went up close to a boat at Market Drayton last year and had the audacity to share “his” mooring ring the look I got was priceless...when I moored there was loads of space but an hour later as per usual it was rammed. On this trip at the pontoons on the Mac the boats at either end had moored one cleat in....the mind boggles as to why.  

• Greenie 1

As long as it is on a visitor mooring I'm quite happy to try to squeeze into the gap that my boat clearly wont fit into and then politely ask the 'offending' boat if they could possibly move up a few feet, always works for me:rolleyes:. Rather radically, if I'm moored in a location such as that and it's rammed, and someone comes past looking for a mooring whilst they shop, I'd offer them the opportunity to breast up.

If on the other hand we are talking about a bit of Armco in the middle of nowhere, they got there first, live with it.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 2

13 hours ago, Kudzucraft said:

COMMON SENSE.... is it so rare it is like a Super Power.

Obituary: Common Sense

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, why life isn't always fair, and how, on occasion, maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not children are in charge) .

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job they themselves failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer aspirin, sun lotion or a sticky plaster to a student; but could not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims. Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar can sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by three stepbrothers; I Know my Rights, Someone Else is to Blame, and I'm a Victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you still remember him pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing.

Author unknown

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 2

Just now, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Rather radically, if I'm moored in a location such as that and it's rammed, and someone comes past looking for a mooring whilst they shop, I'd offer them the opportunity to breast up.

I had a look online the other day, without success, to find “Welcome to moor alongside” stickers. Does anyone know if they are available or do I need to make some of my own?

7 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

As long as it is on a visitor mooring I'm quite happy to try to squeeze into the gap that my boat clearly wont fit into and then politely ask the 'offending' boat if they could possibly move up a few feet, always works for me:rolleyes:

I took that approach in Birmingham recently, boat moored with 40' either side so I put our 57' in the gap then knocked on their boat and asked any chance I could move them forward a bollard or two which they begrudgingly agreed to.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I took that approach in Birmingham recently, boat moored with 40' either side so I put our 57' in the gap then knocked on their boat and asked any chance I could move them forward a bollard or two which they begrudgingly agreed to.

I did that before the BCN challenge a few years ago  only one space left for a 55 foot boat so moored, went to Bearwood Boster and knocked, nobody in, so carefully undid cable ties, undid ropes, moved BB 15 yards further down, retired ropes and put cable ties back in position........then moored Old Friends properly.?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

I did that before the BCN challenge a few years ago  only one space left for a 55 foot boat so moored, went to Bearwood Boster and knocked, nobody in, so carefully undid cable ties, undid ropes, moved BB 15 yards further down, retired ropes and put cable ties back in position........then moored Old Friends properly.?

What Matty doesn't say/didn't know was that the boat behind us had left while we were in the pub !

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

What Matty doesn't say/didn't know was that the boat behind us had left while we were in the pub !

I didnt know, just spotted a space that wasnt big enough and could be...so took appropriate careful measures to fit. ?

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

Thank you very much. If you can now print them off on plastic sheet and deliver them to Bridge 109 on the L&L, I will be eternally grateful!!

Seriously though, thank you, I will print them off when I get home in 3 weeks time.  

As I said on here a few weeks ago, Nantwich service block is about 120-130 feet long, yet so many times you see a 57ft boat moored right in the middle while they spend an hour taking on water. What goes through these people’s minds?

2 minutes ago, dor said:

As I said on here a few weeks ago, Nantwich service block is about 120-130 feet long, yet so many times you see a 57ft boat moored right in the middle while they spend an hour taking on water. What goes through these people’s minds?

Absolutely nothing. ?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, dor said:

Insufficiently long ‘ose?

1 hour ago, dor said:

Devise some signage. Must be easily understandable at a distance so they still geddit as they are negotiating the traffic.  

1 hour ago, dor said:

Well for a start there it’s only got one tap.....and even then you have to ask the water nicely to come out...if someone flushes the Elsan it kills the pressure even more

I take your point tho. 

1 hour ago, dor said:

If they are an hour taking on water, what are you going to be doing bearing in mind that there is only one tap?(and available mooring directly opposite if you need to dump rubbish). Alternatively you could always do what I do whenever I come to any other water point/sanitary station that is already full, breast up.

ETA cross posted with the above post saying much the same.

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond