Pickup new boat ... hitlist of checks/things to do asap..

robtheplod

Featured Posts

25 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Cheer up Grumpy Sam. The sun is out, the days are long and you will soon be headed back to the golden beaches of 'the pines'. 

No grump at all, you know that I am only curmudgeonly. Yes, not too long to go before the UK boating scene pales into indifference and the loud ar*es on here can just play with themselves to their hearts content.

I just get sick of the tall poppies spouting rubbish all the time.

35 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

…. so do the batteries look ok for narrowboat use?  all specs seem ok that I can tell..

https://advancedbatterysupplies.co.uk/product/4-x-abs-lxd110-dual-purpose-leisure-batteries-110ah/

views very much appreciated for a 'beginner' set of batteries......

They look ok to me for a set of relatively cheap batteries which you can learn battery management with. If you can keep those going for two or three years then you will have spent wisely and learnt how to manage your batteries. If you kill them in six months you haven't blown a fortune and you can learn from bad battery management.

Before buying though give the ones you have on the boat a bit of time to see how they go.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

They look ok to me for a set of relatively cheap batteries which you can learn battery management with. If you can keep those going for two or three years then you will have spent wisely and learnt how to manage your batteries. If you kill them in six months you haven't blown a fortune and you can learn from bad battery management.

Before buying though give the ones you have on the boat a bit of time to see how they go.

Thanks Rob …… will see how it goes then...… :)

On 29/08/2019 at 14:30, Rob-M said:

Seconded!

I think it is somewhere earlier in this thread that I mentioned that I was told by my surveyor that the Numax leisure batteries were flat and needed replacing. I decided to see how they went for a while after using the boat's  C-Tec multi stage charger to give them a good charge.

They lasted another 18 months!

You might not be so lucky but you never know. It's worth a try.

1 hour ago, Lily Rose said:

Seconded!

I think it is somewhere earlier in this thread that I mentioned that I was told by my surveyor that the Numax leisure batteries were flat and needed replacing. I decided to see how they went for a while after using the boat's  C-Tec multi stage charger to give them a good charge.

They lasted another 18 months!

You might not be so lucky but you never know. It's worth a try.

Funny how different surveyors see the same thing, but give different advice.

My surveyor said that the batteries were almost certainly shot, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to see how they went on our weeks trip from Burton to Stretford, and then take a view.

I think I persisted with them for a few months and then bought some cheap crap batteries that lasted a year :) 

thanks for the battery advice... will be interesting to see the state. The boat has been idle in the marina (not connected) for a few months, but all systems switched off, so nominal drain I guess - hopefully nothing serious... it will be obvious when we pick her up... :)

3 hours ago, robtheplod said:

thanks for the battery advice... will be interesting to see the state. The boat has been idle in the marina (not connected) for a few months, but all systems switched off, so nominal drain I guess - hopefully nothing serious... it will be obvious when we pick her up... :)

Don't forget that batteries self discharge. Typically about 4% of capacity per week for a wet lead acid cell, rising with age.

Another one for negatives at Whilton I’m afraid. They are good at what they do. Selling boats. but they defo not to be trusted at all. I have had three experiences with them now buying boats. Two of my own and one for my mum. 

Indecently were on our way to turn there as we speak ( lock above ). The cafe is nice 

37 minutes ago, bramley said:

Another one for negatives at Whilton I’m afraid. They are good at what they do. Selling boats. but they defo not to be trusted at all. I have had three experiences with them now buying boats. Two of my own and one for my mum. 

Indecently were on our way to turn there as we speak ( lock above ). The cafe is nice 

It is very overgrown now in the winding hole, full size trees, I did turn there 8 or 9 years ago(70 footer), but wouldnt be able to now.

1 hour ago, bramley said:

In what way are they not to be trusted?  I'm thinking its not anything too big if you went back twice?

Our boat is having work done this weekend, then will be blacked, with new anodes. Looking at this it seems they are definately replacing the stern bearings:

3.jpg

2 hours ago, robtheplod said:

In what way are they not to be trusted?  I'm thinking its not anything too big if you went back twice?

Our boat is having work done this weekend, then will be blacked, with new anodes. Looking at this it seems they are definately replacing the stern bearings:

3.jpg

Either that or someone has stolen the bearing, prop shaft and propeller.

Looks like the rudder is out of its cup too. ?

I think your be fine. I’m not sure they would pull a fast one on you selling their own boat but I have had as have others with there way of business selling other peoples boats,  being untruthful and generally a bit misleading. 

Your new boat looks grand :) congrats 

5 hours ago, matty40s said:

It is very overgrown now in the winding hole, full size trees, I did turn there 8 or 9 years ago(70 footer), but wouldnt be able to now.

Well I felt quite the tool going up a lock to turn around while watching somebody else turn around in the marina entrance. The pound was rather low about a 1 ft lower than the green algae line made for fun turning . Did it and happy days but next time il use the marina. (57ft) 

7 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Didn’t the sales literature say recent blacking and new anodes?

3 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

True, but they have now rectified..... 

It's reasonable in my book to wait for the survey lift before doing new blacking and anodes while the boat is out of the water.

As far as I am aware, most previously reported problems with this brokerage were to do with them pretending boats they owned were brokerage boats - Nuffin to do with us Guv!  In this case they told you from the outset it was owned by them, and they seem to be doing what you / your surveyor asked them to.

9 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

It's reasonable in my book to wait for the survey lift before doing new blacking and anodes while the boat is out of the water.

As far as I am aware, most previously reported problems with this brokerage were to do with them pretending boats they owned were brokerage boats - Nuffin to do with us Guv!  In this case they told you from the outset it was owned by them, and they seem to be doing what you / your surveyor asked them to.

Thanks. I think its fair. We've not got the boat yet, so only have communications and seeing progress to go on, but they have been obliging in getting work done, including numerous other requests not in the survey. They have now put on the low profile anodes also 'midships'. I'm not sure if anyone finds this interesting but I'll continue to upload pictures.....

16.jpg

33 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Thanks. I think its fair. We've not got the boat yet, so only have communications and seeing progress to go on, but they have been obliging in getting work done, including numerous other requests not in the survey. They have now put on the low profile anodes also 'midships'. I'm not sure if anyone finds this interesting but I'll continue to upload pictures.....

16.jpg

They velcro the same one on every boat, take a picture....and then ...

Only joking. ?

• Love 1
  • Haha 1