Pickup new boat ... hitlist of checks/things to do asap..

robtheplod

Featured Posts

Hello Everyone

If everything goes well and the boat we're buying gets a decent full pre-purchase survey come back we will be the proud owners of a 58ft Semi-Trad!

Its been sat in a marina for a while, on sale, so not lived on/used for a few months.

In addition to any recommendations in the survey I was getting a list of things I need get on top of just to get us from the old to new home. This is only a days cruise but we will be totally unfamiliar at this point!

I'm assuming its best to empty the water tank and fill fresh just in case anything has been 'cultured'

Check stern gland

Check for any hose leaks

Check oil/coolant

Check temps whilst going..

Check batteries

Fill up with diesel

Check generally for any leaks on the pumps/pipes

Read up on all the paperwork that comes with her and check the process for battery charging etc...

is there anything else you'd add?  this is just to get us to the new home... once here then the major investigation and 'getting to know' starts!

thanks

Congratulations Rob. Sounds to be a great boat. Not on the the mech/tech side of things to check on the boat as such (you seem to have covered the ones i could think of) but just making sure that the cruising inventory has all the things you would want there to hand. iirc you've been a share owner so know the ropes well enough to know what you'd like to have on a boat. Decent ropes, windlass, mooring spikes, CRT key, handcuff key, spare red 12v electric key, is there/do you need a gangplank, a boat pole, hook, goat chains etc? Better to realise beforehand that something you would like isn't there, before you set off, rather than halfway through the day when you find you wouldn't just like it but really need it.

15 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

Congratulations Rob. Sounds to be a great boat. Not on the the mech/tech side of things to check on the boat as such (you seem to have covered the ones i could think of) but just making sure that the cruising inventory has all the things you would want there to hand. iirc you've been a share owner so know the ropes well enough to know what you'd like to have on a boat. Decent ropes, windlass, mooring spikes, CRT key, handcuff key, spare red 12v electric key, is there/do you need a gangplank, a boat pole, hook, goat chains etc? Better to realise beforehand that something you would like isn't there, before you set off, rather than halfway through the day when you find you wouldn't just like it but really need it.

Like a hammer to knock in them mooring stakes?!!

DAMHIK.....

Good list otherwise. 

• Greenie 1

thanks everyone... it is pumpout so will definately swill it!

the boat is an ex-share boat so will be high mileage but hopefully this also means its well looked after … it comes with pretty much everything I can think of, hammer/pins/chains/board/hook/fenders/wide variety of windlasses and keys...... 

Edited by robtheplod
  • Greenie 2

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

Its been sat in a marina for a while, on sale, so not lived on/used for a few months.

Tool kit

String

Single core cable

Cable ties

Duct-Tape

What sort of cooling is it ? (if it is via an impellor / pump, it may well have 'stuck' during the non-usage)

Heavy Duty (not cheap aluminium) Jump-Leads

And, unless it has been on a 'hook-up' with the batteries on charge I would take at least one new battery with you that can act as a starter or leisure bank

10 litre water carrier with fresh water in it (sort out the tank when you get 'home' (it will need flushing thru, and a long soak in 'Milton')

• Greenie 1

As well as cruising inventory you need to consider what you need for emergencies.

Bolt cutters and folding pruning saw in case of a prop foul. Basic tool kit in case anything goes wrong (spanners, hammer, hacksaw, insulating tape, cable ties, duct tape etc). 

If you want RCR breakdown cover, I think this needs to be in place for a week or two before they will come out.

Great replies, thanks - getting a good list together!  The boat already has bolt-cutters - have to say didn't know why, but now I do!

cuthound, I'm probably going to go with GJWDirect for insurance and have been told that RCR cover (basic PAYG cover in with it) becomes effective immediately the insurance starts, so this should get around the X days problem.... would really like cover for our first time on an unknown boat!

2 hours ago, robtheplod said:

Great replies, thanks - getting a good list together!  The boat already has bolt-cutters - have to say didn't know why, but now I do!

cuthound, I'm probably going to go with GJWDirect for insurance and have been told that RCR cover (basic PAYG cover in with it) becomes effective immediately the insurance starts, so this should get around the X days problem.... would really like cover for our first time on an unknown boat!

Many insurance companies offer basic RCR cover, usually it is "retention" only as standard, so you pay for parts and labour when you call RCR come out.

Towergate offer a couple of free callouts with their platinum policy and in all cases you can pay RCR more and upgrade to bronze, silver or gold RCR cover if you want to.

When I bought my boat, once I knew the handover date I called RCR, and took out cover that would enable them to came out to me from that date. Typically I never needed it, but I'm sure that I would have done if I hadn't pre-arranged it! ?

Edited by cuthound
Spillung

6 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Many insurance companies offer basic RCR cover, usually it is "retention" only as standard, so you pay for parts and labour when you call RCR come out.

Towergate offer a couple of free callouts with their platinum policy and in all cases you can pay RCR more and upgrade to bronze, silver or gold RCR cover if you want to.

When I bought my boat, once I knew the handover date I called RCR, and took out cover that would enable them to came out to me from that date. Typically I never needed it, but I'm sure that I would have done if I hadn't pre-arranged it! ?

Thanks. I've looked at RCR direct and what they offer and I couldn't see the benefit of full membership other than if an expensive covered part failed (its usually parts not covered that fail isn't it?). £45 a pop isn't bad and hopefully will be rare!  If I've overlooked a biggy re RCR then by all means please let me know and I'll rethink!!

Edited by robtheplod

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

Probably!  I suppose you rapidly get to know your new boat that way!

The clue is in...

9 hours ago, robtheplod said:

Almost certainly not on charge either and besides, they only last a couple of years with ‘average’ usage. 

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

The clue is in...

Almost certainly not on charge either and besides, they only last a couple of years with ‘average’ usage. 

Thanks, it did start up on the button which is good but on from there who knows!

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

I’ve fixed that for you ;)

54 minutes ago, WotEver said:

The clue is in...

Ref the batteries. on a share boat almost certain, its unlikely even half the share owners would understand battery management , there would be no continuity of charging and the ones we use to watch at Stockton would arrive back outside the marina on Thursday lunch time, spend the afternoon cleaning the boat, evening with light on and watching TV. next morning they just moved into the marina, that afternoon the next owner arrived, put the fridge, freezer etc on, just moved outside the marina and stopped for the night. You can guess the state of charge of the batteries by now. 

Thanks for all the replies...

The survey is on 19th Aug and we should get a new BSS then also. Thinking about things, the gas lockers has a fair amount of stuff in it and I don't recall seeing the gas bottles secured with any straps etc.. is the survey likely to look dimly on this re BSS compliance?

27 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Thanks for all the replies...

The survey is on 19th Aug and we should get a new BSS then also. Thinking about things, the gas lockers has a fair amount of stuff in it and I don't recall seeing the gas bottles secured with any straps etc.. is the survey likely to look dimly on this re BSS compliance?

Yes & No.

Compliance is required to pass the BSS, but, if the examiner doesn't bother to look (not an infrequent occurrence) then 'no-body-knows'.

Do you want it done correctly, in accordance with the requirements, or do you just want a piece of paper so you can get the licence ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

23 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes & No.

Compliance is required to pass the BSS, but, if the examiner doesn't bother to look (not an infrequent occurrence) then 'no-body-knows'.

Do you want it done correctly, in accordance with the requirements, or do you just want a piece of paper so you can get the licence ?

I think people tend to look on the BSC examination as something to be feared, to be "passed at all costs", imho it an opportunity for an objective examination. DAMHIK.

The Boat Safety requirements are somewhat quirky, but I intend to live in a safe environment and I trust my neighbours do too ?

PS I am currently making modifications, and a new Cert should be forthcoming when the work is done. This is belt and braces stuff,  any work done on the boat will be done with this in mind.

I have a full on first aid kit, includes trauma stuff and several disinfectants. I keep it in a clear plastic case.

So far, I have used fly repellant and sting relief of several types. Modern fly papers do not work.

I use bleach spray, Dettol sprays for surface cleaning, and Dettol household wipes to deep clean everything to remove dirt and dust. 

Edited by LadyG