Latest thoughts on double glazing

Tring Man

Featured Posts

Double glazing posts seem to come up every year or two with people proposing to go ahead and install, but then no feedback on issues/benefits. 

As I am considering installing, I would appreciate any feedback from those who have had double glazing installed. 

Channel Glaze seems to be best known, and generally get positive feedback, but their DG does not include a thermal break. Wesley Marine do offer DG with a thermal break, but I have not seen any feedback on quality of their products or how easy they are to work with. Are there any other DG installers anyone would recommend?

Just to be clear, I am looking primarily to eliminate/reduce both condensation and noise whilst reducing heating costs. I am not interested in secondary DG solutions. 

Any feedback would be from those with actual DG experience would be really appreciated. 

Regards 

Alan 

I have Wesley windows installed about 12 years ago.  Good quality units and helpful staff when I lost a fitting.

If I was starting again I wouldn’t think twice about installing their DG units.

We have channel glaze iirc the bill is somewhere double glazing. We do get condensation on the frames but not the glass. I personaly wouldnt pay for it but it was fitted. My other seven boats all had single glazing which was fine at the intended job. My mums house has singleglazing and we are not deafened by outside noise and its bloomin roasting hot in the winter.

Double glazing and boats is essential in my book, it's been getting me out of supermarkets unmolested for about 8 years now.

That point where everyone else leaving is trying to avoid the bored looking woman with too much makeup standing by the pop up display, that's when I make eye contact with her and steam through the ditherers. 

Without fail she offers me a leaflet and (like a robot) utters "Have you thought about investing in new double glazing at home ….." before she can call me sir I reply …..

"I live on a canal boat"

You can see the cogs whirring behind the eyes as they try to recall where on the training day they covered such eventualities. I'm normally out the door and half way to my car before they return to planet Earth.

I've had so much success with it I'm considering extending my repertoire.

"PPI? We can check immediately, what's your post code?" - "I live on a canal boat"

"Special offer today on Stair lifts" - "I live on a canal boat"

"Let us find you a cheaper Power Supplier" - "I live on a canal boat"

I am prepared to offer this to you all on free use licence, all I require is you give me credit every time you use it.

Edited by zenataomm
I am going into the witness protection program but I can’t give you any details.
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

We fitted secondary double glazing to our bus windows.

We bought precut  3mm acrylic on line.  They are all the same size so that was easy.  We stuck draft excluder around the edges and drilled the acrylic to attach each sheet with 10 SS screws into the wooden surround.  We have found this very successful and keeping out the drafts and preventing condensation.  It didn't cost much.

I have done a bit of research into the thee main window manufacturers, as we will soon be finally specing for our new narrowboat.

Our ideal Spec

One piece window / porthole than can be easily removed on that week of blisteringly hot weather that you always end up boating.

Clip in - we are having MD Woodtech liners, so removal of frame will not be a problem. The plastic insert on the screw in types always eventually shrinks and looks tatty.

Anodized

Double glazed

Thermal break - with solid insulating insert, so the frames can be anodized. Frame round glass also with thermal break.

Metal screw in drain covers - the plastic ones always tend to get kicked off by clumsy crew

Only Caldwells fit the bill, but the frame finish (one "spot"weld showing tacking the external corner mitre edges together) is not the best.

The build quality of Channelgaze is the best, but reflected in price (or less discount). There is a rumor that they will bring out a thermal break window.

Wesley would be our preferred supplier as they have connections with, and are close to our builder / fitter (XR&D / Woodworks) They are rumored to be working on a solid insulating insert, if they can get enough interest from builders - the hollow one they presently use make anodizing impossible (or very awkward) as the hollow section will tend to hold the acid and caustic from the anodizing process.

Graham at Riversdale in Ireland now uses Calwellls DG / thermal break as standard, so I have experience of these working in even worse damp wet conditions than over here.

We have Channel Glaze double glazed windows on our three and half year old boat, which we have owned for just two and a half years. We do get some condensation in the winter, but only on the frames, not the glass and I wouldn’t say it was too bad. It’s very warm and draught free. The windows feel solid and are good quality.  I don’t know what the cost was, but I would definitely recommend them.