Tidal Trent from Keadby

frangar

Featured Posts

Given we are still waiting for Standedge tunnel comms to be fixed (possibly today or maybe still waiting for parts...) and lock 24W has come off its hinges we are looking at going home via the Trent. 

Weve done it from Cromwell to Keadby but not from Keadby to Cromwell. 

Does the panel think its worth breaking the journey at Stockwith...if only to go to the brew pub in the village...or should we ride the incoming tide to Torksey and stop for the night....thinking of going out around the 16 Aug as there are early tides but they seem small so might be fighting the ebb earlier than would be nice? Finding a tide height online for that date is tricky! Hopefully if we planned to arrive at Stockwith at high water it shouldn’t be too tricky to get in....I made it going the other way ok! 

Also the Level gauges I’ve found online look like the level & flow has come back to normal on the Aire & Trent.... so hopefully if it doesn’t rain continuously we should be ok although the weekend doesn’t look great...if anyone has a crystal ball for floods that would be handy!

But if someone is on the Trent it would be nice to have confirmation of this...for some reason the CRT strong stream warning shows Hatton top & bottom locks shut due to high water....faults like this don’t inspire confidence! The graphs I’ve found on the Gov website show a downward trend. 

Weve got anchors/VHF/Lifejackets/Charts etc so the boat is prepared even if we aren’t! 

Edited by frangar

Unless you intend breaking your journey the following day at Torksey, I’d head straight there from Keadby. You’ll be at Stockwith early anyway, so it’s either round up and power in or drop on the wall top side of the lock at wait for high water. (a more relaxing method!)

Your run up to Cromwell in one go from Stockwith will be a slog without a big tide, you’ll probably end up against it for a couple of hours. Anyway the Swan at Torksey do cracking pies and have at least one beer on.

Your best bet is to ring the Keadby Lock Keeper for advice. We did that route last summer with a butty breasted up alongside us which limits our speed to 3mph on flat water and even so we arrived at Stockwith before there was enough water over the cill and had to wait for an earlier boat to pen up.  You should be able to reach Torksey on a single tide.

If you do decide to go into Stockwith Basin and have to wait for the lock, edge into the bank immediately south of the lock gate and you will find a protected eddy where you will be out of the flood tide - its so still you barely need a rope.

46 minutes ago, frangar said:

But if someone is on the Trent it would be nice to have confirmation of this

The Trent at Newark is quite (almost, very) high although the weir at Nether lock is a couple of feet off being 'flat'.

There is a heck of a flow running and with the forecast for more storms in the area (and catchment area) in the next few days I cannot see it reducing much.

The winds could be a deciding factor : Friday is forecasting winds gusting in the 'mid 30's mph' with Saturday gusting up to the 'mid 40's mph'

Winds drop on Sunday with light rain and then light winds and heavy rain Monday.

If you have the time, I'd do Keadby to Torksey, Overnight, then Torksey to Cromwell and then as far as you want on the non tidal section (I would guess there is 2mph and possibly 3mph of fresh running thru Newark)

I guess only you know what speeds you can achieve against the flow and the Tide.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The Trent at Newark is quite (almost, very) high although the weir at Nether lock is a couple of feet off being 'flat'.

There is a heck of a flow running and with the forecast for more storms in the area (and catchment area) in the next few days I cannot see it reducing much.

The winds could be a deciding factor : Friday is forecasting winds gusting in the 'mid 30's mph' with Saturday gusting up to the 'mid 40's mph'

Winds drop on Sunday with light rain and then light winds and heavy rain Monday.

If you have the time, I'd do Keadby to Torksey, Overnight, then Torksey to Cromwell and then as far as you want on the non tidal section (I would guess there is 2mph and possibly 3mph of fresh running thru Newark)

I guess only you know what speeds you can achieve against the flow and the Tide.

We wouldn’t be going out till at least the 16th Aug or later but you have confirmed what I expected about the flow & level despite what any online level gauge says....we could punch it but it would be hard work....the sort of thing you would do out of necessity rather than choice....and it wouldn’t need much rain to put it back into flood. 

Ill start hoping CRT fix the Huddersfield! 

30 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

Unless you intend breaking your journey the following day at Torksey, I’d head straight there from Keadby. You’ll be at Stockwith early anyway, so it’s either round up and power in or drop on the wall top side of the lock at wait for high water. (a more relaxing method!)

Your run up to Cromwell in one go from Stockwith will be a slog without a big tide, you’ll probably end up against it for a couple of hours. Anyway the Swan at Torksey do cracking pies and have at least one beer on.

I was going to overnight at Torksey anyhow....but with what Alan says about the fresh on the river it sounds like hard work at best

Well apparently the comms in Standedge is still not fixed and there’s no

news on 24W which should have been a simple fix so it looks like we might be risking the Trent after all....rather irritating not having a timescale...might be a another day...might be a week!..not fancying going back to Marsden to have to come back again. Oh well....I was thinking the JP needed to have a blast to clear out idling up here for a couple of weeks! 

Heres hoping the weather is a bit kinder by the 16th! 

I've done Cromwell on a low to medium tide in a tad over 6 1/2 hours, with a headwind, however, with virtually no fresh in the river. I was not punching the flow until the last hour, and then it was marginal.

However, with the unseasonal weather forecast for the first half of August, the Trent will be quite high and you probably will be punching tide from Torksey if not Stockwith.

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I've done Cromwell on a low to medium tide in a tad over 6 1/2 hours, with a headwind, however, with virtually no fresh in the river. I was not punching the flow until the last hour, and then it was marginal.

However, with the unseasonal weather forecast for the first half of August, the Trent will be quite high and you probably will be punching tide from Torksey if not Stockwith.

I’m definitely breaking the journey at Torksey and might indeed go in at Stockwith. Will see what’s occurring when we get to Keadby with levels & weather. We punched the tide on the Ribble link so I’m reasonably happy the boat is ok with it. 

I have done this trip on numerous occasions. the last twice being on a fat narrowboat and a seventy foot narrowboat both those times in one hit from Keadby to Newark and Farndon.  Wait until you know what date you are doing it and see what fresh is about before making any decision, things change overnight with regards fresh. A stop over at Stockwith or Torksey is nice but often not necessary.

We came into Keadby of the Trent  a few weeks ago due to our friends transmission issues which at started on the Humber.   And out again going up to Torksey the next day. We had 4 knots of free fuel from the tide for quite a long while .

You may know there is a  swing bridge at the lock at Keadby and they don't like to swing it at rush hour times even if that happens to be your passage plan.

At Keadby they will (other than rush hour) want to let you out as soon as and  the flood has built up sufficient depth. any boats coming in off the Trent get priority.  If   you want to go in at West Stockwith  you will want to arrange to set off later from Keadby to arrive at Stockwith at high water there  (or a bit after as its easier to get in West Stockwith on the ebb rather than the flood ).

In other words decide where you are going before you leave Keadby

Going upstream on the Trent should be  easy if the timing is right as you should be always with the tide until the tidal affects reduce to nothing somewhere before Cromwell .

With lots of fresh on I am not too concerned with my boat but I do have ample power .  There may be no tidal push  much  above Torksey . West Stockwith rather than Torksey  is the nicer place to stay a few days to wait for calmer weather and less fresh against you.

Now I look at river levels they seem to have reduced a fair bit from where they were last weekend

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/2128

On 07/08/2019 at 09:01, frangar said:

Given we are still waiting for Standedge tunnel comms to be fixed (possibly today or maybe still waiting for parts...) and lock 24W has come off its hinges we are looking at going home via the Trent. 

Weve done it from Cromwell to Keadby but not from Keadby to Cromwell. 

Does the panel think its worth breaking the journey at Stockwith...if only to go to the brew pub in the village...or should we ride the incoming tide to Torksey and stop for the night....thinking of going out around the 16 Aug as there are early tides but they seem small so might be fighting the ebb earlier than would be nice? Finding a tide height online for that date is tricky! Hopefully if we planned to arrive at Stockwith at high water it shouldn’t be too tricky to get in....I made it going the other way ok! 

Also the Level gauges I’ve found online look like the level & flow has come back to normal on the Aire & Trent.... so hopefully if it doesn’t rain continuously we should be ok although the weekend doesn’t look great...if anyone has a crystal ball for floods that would be handy!

But if someone is on the Trent it would be nice to have confirmation of this...for some reason the CRT strong stream warning shows Hatton top & bottom locks shut due to high water....faults like this don’t inspire confidence! The graphs I’ve found on the Gov website show a downward trend. 

Weve got anchors/VHF/Lifejackets/Charts etc so the boat is prepared even if we aren’t! 

Last year we had a couple of days in Stockworth and enjoyed it, we set of from keadby to arrive at the top of the tide and entry was very easy for a 67 x 16.5 foot boat. Do it as the pub you mentioned is very good 

All change yet again!! 

Standedge Tunnel comms fixed so we so we are going to take the opportunity to do the tunnel again as we are up here.  

Many many thanks for all

the info & advice tho as we will probably do the Rochdale next time from Manchester and go back on the Trent....hopefully will less rain & less fresh!

This trip has had so many changes!! 

7 hours ago, MartynG said:

We came into Keadby of the Trent  a few weeks ago due to our friends transmission issues which at started on the Humber.   And out again going up to Torksey the next day. We had 4 knots of free fuel from the tide for quite a long while .

You may know there is a  swing bridge at the lock at Keadby and they don't like to swing it at rush hour times even if that happens to be your passage plan.

At Keadby they will (other than rush hour) want to let you out as soon as and  the flood has built up sufficient depth. any boats coming in off the Trent get priority.  If   you want to go in at West Stockwith  you will want to arrange to set off later from Keadby to arrive at Stockwith at high water there  (or a bit after as its easier to get in West Stockwith on the ebb rather than the flood ).

In other words decide where you are going before you leave Keadby

Going upstream on the Trent should be  easy if the timing is right as you should be always with the tide until the tidal affects reduce to nothing somewhere before Cromwell .

With lots of fresh on I am not too concerned with my boat but I do have ample power .  There may be no tidal push  much  above Torksey . West Stockwith rather than Torksey  is the nicer place to stay a few days to wait for calmer weather and less fresh against you.

Now I look at river levels they seem to have reduced a fair bit from where they were last weekend

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/2128

And in hot weather the bridge will not swing. We spent a night two years back, in between lock and bridge!

4 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

And in hot weather the bridge will not swing. We spent a night two years back, in between lock and bridge!

We were there last summer in the very hot weather, they had a pump dousing the bridge it water to cool it down so it would swing.

9 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

All these boats that pass of lock into West Stockwith without venturing up The Chesterfield Canal. Perhaps someday people will realise it is worth allowing some extra time to explore without locking out again the next day 

My boat doesn't fit under the bridge.

But we have often walked  up to Misterton or taken the dinghy.

We usually stay two nights i the basin which is the max permitted.

Could be there next week but hope the weather improves.

13 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

All these boats that pass of lock into West Stockwith without venturing up The Chesterfield Canal. Perhaps someday people will realise it is worth allowing some extra time to explore without locking out again the next day 

Do I get let off as I’ve done it before?? Sadly wouldn’t have had time to do it justice if we had come down the Trent this time. 

As it is weve just made it off the Calder in time and back into Huddersfield. This was the river gauge at coopers lock. 

3DCF186B-D72D-44FA-BBA3-4A909CC053EA.jpeg.f9fcb4335912478ba71e9bf0710e09f4.jpeg

CRT was shutting the floodgates at Ledgard bridge...it was off the bottom of the green last night! 

4 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

I guess I will have to let you off if your boat doesn't fit :) 

There are loads of narrowboats that do fit though 

Any idea when your new vessel will be up there?  I’m heading back myself but waiting for you to plough a furrow from Stockwith to Clayworth. 

4 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

Don't go relying on us to plough your furrow! We are only a 29" draught!

Python is due back the first week of September though and usually does a decent job of opening the channel

29” should do nicely, you’ll be surprised at your slow progress compared to Python. It’s the bow being down that makes the difference, especially through Wiseton! 

On 08/08/2019 at 20:03, john6767 said:

We were there last summer in the very hot weather, they had a pump dousing the bridge it water to cool it down so it would swing.

The fire service were happy to oblige the first time but notwhen it became a more frequent!