Snipe v3 camouflage

Robert Cresswell

Featured Posts

Hi everyone!

My first post! Thanks to Canalworld for solving so many problems and avoiding so many pitfalls over the years! 

I must be getting a bit ahead of the game as my question doesn't appear to have been asked before! Have just bought a Snipe V3 automatic satellite antenna and it does what the adverts say it does! My big worry is that being shiny (hi-tech) white, it will act like a magnet to the criminal fraternity!  I want to spray paint it to camouflage it somewhat. Can't see any reason why the non receiving areas can't be painted......but has anyone  painted the antenna face?  Obviously has to be metal free paint...??matt black? Thanks in anticipation!

• 4 months later...

Hi Blackrose. The Snipe is a small motorised flat dish which seeks the satellite but also will fold itself down flat on the roof of the boat.

https://www.pulsat.com/products/Selfsat-Snipe-v3-White-Line-Twin-LNB-Automatic-Flat-Satellite-Antenna.html

Problem is it is so expensive and may have a problem convincing the wife ? 

Your Sky dish is fine especially if you are spending a longer time on a mooring.

2 minutes ago, Andy Durnin said:

Hi Blackrose. The Snipe is a small motorised flat dish which seeks the satellite but also will fold itself down flat on the roof of the boat.

https://www.pulsat.com/products/Selfsat-Snipe-v3-White-Line-Twin-LNB-Automatic-Flat-Satellite-Antenna.html

Your Sky dish is fine especially if you are spending a longer time on a mooring.

Some people simply have too much spare money. Better spent on the Sally army or similar this time of year. 

• Greenie 1

48 minutes ago, Andy Durnin said:

Wow! That's expensive.

We've got SkyQ which uses a wideband LNB which didnt come in small sizes so need to use a normal dish. We move most days outside of winter and a 1 minute job to align the dish now I've bought a decent sat finder (the indecent one was a right pain to use!). 1000 squids on the roof may be vunerable!

I do agree and I have looked at some options but typical me always have to have a gadget.

we won’t be moving onto the boat for at least 12 months and seeing we are moored at Crick will be looking for some good deals at the show.

The other advantage of the snipe is the size and the fact it can be folded down.

Anyway I think i can find 5 reasons to have one and the wife will think of one which will overrule my 5.

5 minutes ago, Andy Durnin said:

I do agree and I have looked at some options but typical me always have to have a gadget.

we won’t be moving onto the boat for at least 12 months and seeing we are moored at Crick will be looking for some good deals at the show.

The other advantage of the snipe is the size and the fact it can be folded down.

Anyway I think i can find 5 reasons to have one and the wife will think of one which will overrule my 5.

we just watch tv. Plenty of channels on freeview, the aerial was less than ten quid.

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

We move most days outside of winter and a 1 minute job to align the dish now I've bought a decent sat finder (the indecent one was a right pain to use!).

Spill the beans, Bobby!  Kit and method. 

(I've yet to graduate from the status referred to in brackets and, particularly when both bearing and elevation are changed, I seem to be adept at finding the other, wrong satellite nearby, so I rarely even try) ;)

I'm a bit in the @mrsmelly camp here and when there's no signal I just don't bother with the telly.  My aresenal comprises:  1.  Little Omni (zero faff, sometimes works fine); 2. Log Periodic (bit of faff, often works well); 3. Mobile phone tethering (very little faff, nearly always works). However, there are times when 1-3 don't do the job or the log periodic can't get the mux with the right channels, and an easy way of finding a satellite with my small magnetic based dish would then be a useful option 4. 

@mrsmelly if you are happy with your coat hanger and speaker wire system, then i am happy too but the advantage of satellite in my opinion makes it worthwhile to spend a little bit more.  @Sea Dog i use a mifi with a 3 unlimited data card which costs me £17 p/m.  The mifi has an external aerial and you can have up to 6 devices connected .  Tethering can have issues and may affect your data speed.    

4 minutes ago, Andy Durnin said:

@mrsmelly if you are happy with your coat hanger and speaker wire system, then i am happy too but the advantage of satellite in my opinion makes it worthwhile to spend a little bit more.  @Sea Dog i use a mifi with a 3 unlimited data card which costs me £17 p/m.  The mifi has an external aerial and you can have up to 6 devices connected .  Tethering can have issues and may affect your data speed.    

Yow lol. Its a modern TV, its even flat screened!! Its just that in reality there are lots of expensive unnecessary gadgets out there. We can watch tv in 99 percent of the UK locations we have been to with a ten quid aerial.  I am over the age of 12 so I dont play games etc that youngsters seem to waste their life on either. It takes all kinds though so blow a grand on a glorified aerial, thats a hell of a lot of beer money though :o

Your absolutely correct and i am here looking for advice from experienced n-boaters like yourselves.

We must remember that although we may like our luxury’s the sacrifices we make to live on a boat are made up by the freedom, the countryside and mornings on the tiller with a bacon sandwich.  If we should ever meet i will buy you a pint with the money i shall save ???

• Happy 1