Harland and Wollf

max's son

Featured Posts

I was in my cabin on Alton one Easter at the Port when I heard a man outside looking at my display board and talking to his son.

Man; "This boat was built by Harland and Wolff".

Son: "Where were they, dad".

Man; "Belfast".

Son: "How did this boat get over here, then".

Man; "They must have brought it over on a container boat".

George

31 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

I was in my cabin on Alton one Easter at the Port when I heard a man outside looking at my display board and talking to his son.

Man; "This boat was built by Harland and Wolff".

Son: "Where were they, dad".

Man; "Belfast".

Son: "How did this boat get over here, then".

Man; "They must have brought it over on a container boat".

George

Owning a North Woolwich-built Harland and Wolff boat named BELFAST I often get asked if it has come from Northern Ireland. 

• Greenie 1

21 hours ago, max's son said:

H&W  looks poised to shut down for good.

No more narrowboats!!!

hw.JPG

journalese junk again.  The characteristic cranes that are a significant feature of the skyline are of course overhead travelling gantry cranes that have been there since 1969.  Wherever that article came from they were just too lazy to get an appropriate photo.   

perhaps the modern trend is for newspapers to be produced in a call centre in Mumbai.  God help us!

Edited by Murflynn

4 hours ago, David Mack said:

Owning a North Woolwich-built Harland and Wolff boat named BELFAST I often get asked if it has come from Northern Ireland. 

A few years ago now we were moored at Stoke Bruerne for a couple of days.

An ex working boat with the name of a Scandinavian nation was moored behind us. 

Two little old dears walking along the towpath, one says to t'other "Ooh look at that boat it's come all the way from Sweden."

NB Sweden (2).jpg

Edited by Ray T

1 minute ago, Ray T said:

A few years ago now we were moored at Stoke Bruerne for a couple of days.

An ex working boat with the name of a Scandinavian nation was moored behind us. 

Two little old dears walking along the towpath, one says to t'other "Ooh look at at that boat it's come all the way from Sweden."

NB Sweden (2).jpg

I was often asked on Alton if I was going there.

Mind you the best has to be JOEL.  They have a roller blind from a railway DMU on the roof with all the local destinations thereon.  Wherever they are going, they simply set the blind and off they go!

George

1 hour ago, furnessvale said:

Mind you the best has to be JOEL.  They have a roller blind from a railway DMU on the roof with all the local destinations thereon.  Wherever they are going, they simply set the blind and off they go!

George

We wish, if only it was that easy. See the stoppages page. An engineering possession  (well, a fire) has meant no services to Stalybridge,Marple,New Mills etc.

Don't get me going about the claim for delay repay Littleborough to Manchester Piccadilly in June, that service was a week late due to a "cill on the line" and then a collapsing gate  in Failsworth which delayed following boats by a month.

33 minutes ago, billh said:

We wish, if only it was that easy. See the stoppages page. An engineering possession  (well, a fire) has meant no services to Stalybridge,Marple,New Mills etc.

Don't get me going about the claim for delay repay Littleborough to Manchester Piccadilly in June, that service was a week late due to a "cill on the line" and then a collapsing gate  in Failsworth which delayed following boats by a month.

Is that blind of an old Cravens DMU?  No wonder its so unreliable! ?

George

. . . and getting back to Harland and Wolff,

Maybe Boris could get them to build some of the frigates we've just realised we need?

On 07/08/2019 at 18:33, Derek R. said:

When we had YARMOUTH people would ask : - "Is that where you're headed?" Mind, it was painted on a board set across the foredeck.

Put: 'Lands End to John O'Groats' and some would think that's possible by narrow boat.

We can always tell when we pass someone from Cambridgeshire as they will be sniggering, Fulbourn was the location of that county's main mental hospital ?

On 07/08/2019 at 16:38, DRP said:

. . . and getting back to Harland and Wolff,

Maybe Boris could get them to build some of the frigates we've just realised we need?

There was chat at one time, about a year ago, that the new frigates may be built abroad. That would cause a bit of a fuss. The new RFA support tankers for the new 'aircraft' carriers were built aboard.The third has just arrived in Marchwood.