2pack epoxy Cheshire-ish

Featured Posts

I was wondering if anyone had any recent experiences of yards within a day or so of the Middlewich branch for blasting and 2 pack epoxy application to the hull?

I’ve spoken to Aqueduct, but their pricing is a bit eye watering and they only offer a 12month guarantee. To put it into context Debdale offer a 10 year guarantee and are approx half the price - but unfortunately are too far away.

Of course price isn’t the same as quality of job, so I thought I’d ask here.

21 minutes ago, gabble said:

I was wondering if anyone had any recent experiences of yards within a day or so of the Middlewich branch for blasting and 2 pack epoxy application to the hull?

I’ve spoken to Aqueduct, but their pricing is a bit eye watering and they only offer a 12month guarantee. To put it into context Debdale offer a 10 year guarantee and are approx half the price - but unfortunately are too far away.

Probably be cheaper to get someone to take your boat to Debdale if you dont want to take it yourself

2 hours ago, Boredrider said:

IMHO, and recent experience, you will find that Aqueduct do charge a lot, but do a job that is commensurate with the price paid!

Yes we forked out for an Aqueduct job. Expensive, but it was good. That was 2012. We took it out of the water in 2017 for a look but it didn’t need it, after a washdown you couldn’t even see where the waterline was.

A guarantee is a meaningless bit of paper so do not factor this into your decision making. Any half decent shot blast and epoxy will last a long time but will still get scraped off with impacts with lock sides etc so this will be excluded. One year is a bit stingy but ten years is a bit silly so will likely have a lot of exclusions in the small print.

On my old VW I fitted a stainless steel exhaust with a lifetime guarantee, it failed after about ten year and they just said "5 years is a reasonable lifetime, no exhaust will last for ten"

Most guarantees are for faulty parts and workmanship, NOT for things wearing out.

...............Dave

12 hours ago, frangar said:

They have very high pressure water blasting...plus surface tolerant epoxy. I think they might grit blast if needed. Worth a call 

That won't work nearly as well as a grit blast.

Surface tolerant stuff is a cop out. If you are paying for two pack, get it done properly. Water blasting...wotever the pressure.... will not get you back to a good steel surface with the optimum profile for applying two pack epoxy.

• Greenie 1

On 05/08/2019 at 21:02, gabble said:

Swanley Bridge Marina will organise your boat to be grit blasted.

Also on site and work alongside the Marina.

Danny of D&J Engineering will two coat your hull including the base plate. Danny does welding work including replating the hull if required.

Sally will paint the upper body work with two pack. 

1 hour ago, Steve Manc said:

Danny of D&J Engineering will two coat your hull including the base plate. Danny does welding work including replating the hull if required.

Have to agree with you on that -and would add not only does he do a thorough job he also does it when he says he will and finishes on time too! Top bloke.

Thanks all, some good pointers here. Swanley Bridge/Danny has been recommended separately to me too. I’ll follow up with some calls and report back. Good to hear good reports on aqueduct too.

DMR - I know what you mean re the guarantee, but it does feel wrong that a premium product carries so little confidence from the seller. I didn’t expect them to cover me scraping it off, but it would be good to know they were confident it wouldn’t flake off after 12 months...

Our boat was craned out on Monday at Industry Narrowboats on The Shroppie. We are having it grit blasted and 2-packed and although I obviously can't begin to offer any personal recommendation on how many years ours has lasted I am impressed by how many people have voluntarily said we have made a good choice. There are a number of placed who can do it and do a great job of it but we really needed an docking as early as possible and they were able to slot us in. 

67927833_10157275656639070_6203240382512

Yes, that blacking that is on there looks pretty good doesn't it? It was only applied in December but sadly it was applied over microbial induced corrosion so it's all got to go. 

9 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

Our boat was craned out on Monday at Industry Narrowboats on The Shroppie. We are having it grit blasted and 2-packed and although I obviously can't begin to offer any personal recommendation on how many years ours has lasted I am impressed by how many people have voluntarily said we have made a good choice. There are a number of placed who can do it and do a great job of it but we really needed an docking as early as possible and they were able to slot us in. 

67927833_10157275656639070_6203240382512

Yes, that blacking that is on there looks pretty good doesn't it? It was only applied in December but sadly it was applied over microbial induced corrosion so it's all got to go. 

How do you know it is microbial induced corrosion?

I am not too happy about yards that work outdoors, I know "surface tolerant" epoxies can cope with a little flash rust but its still a second best, and even indoors it should be shot blast and first coat on the same day.

Stone Canal Cruising are also worth approaching as they do a reasonable job for a very reasonable price, but I think they don't like to do too many shot blasts each year.

...............Dave

10 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

Our surveyor confirmed it (and took samples away for testing) 

I suspected it was as soon as I spotted it as I have come across it before 

Not on the boat at the moment.

On the boat I have a cutting out of the towpath paper. It has photo's of steel hull effected by micro corrosion.

I beleve it shows itself as orange growth and when you press it it's soft.

I believe it states the only was to kill / remove it from the hull is to grit blast. Then use a ?? Acid on the hull.

Microbial corrosion shows itself as a bright orange area of corrosion that is a patch rather than individual pits. When scraped off ut leaves bright steel behind. It is believed to feed off the suphur content of the steel and does not require oxygen to thrive, so unprotected base plates make a good pantry for it.

Industrial bleach will kill it. Applied and left for 24 hours before washing off. The problem comes if you miss a bit hiding in a pit on your baseplate! It's not easy to apply industrial bleach upside down. 

In our case it was entirely possible that the previously undiagnosed MIC had been trapped behind the blacking that had been applied and we wanted a 2-pack coating so this was the best course of action. 

Aquaduct have fantastic facilities, I would not recommend them for any work but it may be worth using their facilities. Not many places will allow you to shot blast but for me the way to go is get the boat lifted out and some experts in to do the two pack.

Our boat was originally shot blasted, painted with Zinga and then two pack all applied by Wayne and his team at MWT Civil Engineering (https://www.mwtcivilengineeringltd.co.uk/).

We get the boat lifted out every 5 years for a bit of TLC, here is the first lift out: https://indigodream.wordpress.com/2011/07/10/boat-blog-a-look-at-indigo-dreams-bottom/

The last lift out was at Aquaduct as that is one of the places that Andy Russell uses, Wayne and Co came in and did the blacking whilst Andy painted the blue bits. The Aquaduct team had not used Zinga so they came in and learnt from Wayne's guys. We have used Wayne three times now and will use him again in 3 years time.

1 hour ago, Steve Manc said:

Just read a bit of your blog. What's the reason for changing the anodes every two years?

I can't see any reason for us to change ours more frequently, ours are now 8 years old and look just about ok, I say just about as we have at times spent time in salty water and I am sure I can see them dissolving . .

The Lady at JBJ said that we had seen a few boats pulled out after two years which looked more like tea bags, I can only think mains hook-up and no isolation but if that is what you are seeing I am not surprised they make that recommendation.