Tape tramline removal

Craig1

Featured Posts

Hi all

Title says it all really, I need to remove the tape tramlines off my boat.  They won't scrape off, so I thought either heat gun or chemical.  Not sure how hot the gun gets as don't want burning paint.  Any thoughts?

8 minutes ago, haggis said:

If they are vinyl, heat from something like a hair drier will loosen them enough for you to lift them off.

haggis

However if they are painted on, then they will need to be sanded off, this will damage the paint either side of them, as you need to remove all trace of them or the "shadow" of them will still show through when you repaint.

1 hour ago, Craig1 said:

Hi all

Title says it all really, I need to remove the tape tramlines off my boat.  They won't scrape off, so I thought either heat gun or chemical.  Not sure how hot the gun gets as don't want burning paint.  Any thoughts?

Yes. Don't let a tram run over your boat in the first place. 

Or have I misunderstood?

Welcome to the forum, by the way!!!

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes. Don't let a tram run over your boat in the first place. 

Or have I misunderstood?

I suppose it's called progress, trams having replaced coaches in many city centres. ?

It will depend on how long they have been on and also what colour!! As to how easy they will be to remove if vinyl. I use a new Stanley blade and low power heat gun, hoping to get the whole lot off in one strip, which never happens. White and red tend to degrade badly, and will come off in many bits, dark colours can come off in long strips. 

If they have been painted on...sanding them off is the only solution, and repainting the surrounds.....which will look crap unless you have a new 4" coachline in a new colour over the original area.