RCR: Anybody had any serious problems with them?

Martin@75

Featured Posts

I'm my case they used local ish engineers, ie one had driven about 40 miles, from other companies/boatyards to come out and look at the boat. 

I guess it depends how quickly you need to move. If you can wait and find an engineer and don't mind stopping a bit, then maybe fine to find your own engineer. If you're on a pressing iteniary and need to get to certain places, maybe having the definite call out, whether or not they over charge you, is more important. 

I towed the boat myself to the next bridge half a mile away and through a lock to wait for an engineer I arranged myself. Guess I could have asked RCR to just do that, but then probably would have had to wait longer for it.

14 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

So on balance, you'd prefer to have no-one come out, to someone from RCR come out who will probably (but not definitely) get you going again?

Jeez.

Where did you get that idea from?

I was answering the question ".... what is to say that another engineer, not via RCR, would have the right theory?"

There's no guarantee that anyone would give the right diagnosis and there's just as much chance RCR would/wouldn't as an independent engineer.

There's a boatyard engineer with a good reputation not too far from our mooring, but recently there's been a few issues with work he's done so shows nobody is infallible. 

Oddly enough, since this thread started we have had cause to call RCR out for the first time in a long time, when the engine, previously chugging happily, gradually slowed down and stopped completely. Despite it being in the middle of the Cropredy Festival, the engineer arrived a few hours later and even found a place to park hiss van. He was a company employee and knew th engine as he had given it its annual service a couple of years ago.

He quickly diagnosed the problem (water in the fuel) and took off, drained and cleaned several filters and pipes before siphoning the bottom of the fuel tank. We ended up with a happy engine, and for no extra charge (though i did put a fiver in 'is 'and, like).

So, well pleased and satisfied.