RCR: Anybody had any serious problems with them?

Martin@75

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, frangar said:

Well you seem to enjoy pointing out if CRT management have failed in your eyes....oh and as I’ve said RCR have threatened me but as it’s the truth that holds no worry for me! 

Why so contentious franger? What have I said that sets you off?

Have I criticised someone you love unfairly? Is the truth not  suitable?

1 hour ago, Boater Sam said:

Why so contentious franger? What have I said that sets you off?

Have I criticised someone you love unfairly? Is the truth not  suitable?

Just can’t see why if you have info on RCR you won’t share it. Surely that’s for the common good?? And if it’s the truth you’ve nothing to worry about from RCR....have you?  

Edited by frangar

1 hour ago, frangar said:

Just can’t see why if you have info on RCR you won’t share it. Surely that’s for the common good?? And if it’s the truth you’ve nothing to worry about from RCR....have you?  

There was a similar thread a week or so ago, where someone asked for alternatives to RCR due to a bad experience, and they didn’t want to say more about the experience.

Two swallows don’t make a summer, but it made me wonder.

My biggest beef is the low

"no claims bonus" they offer.  I read about people who seem proud of the fact they call them out two, three or four times a year, usually for trivial problems.  Rightly or wrongly, I've been with them for about ten years, mostly so if the gearbox blew up when my wife was fifty miles from home there might be a chance it could be fixed.  However it has never happened, basically because I know my boat inside out and can fix pretty much most things, but usually fix things before they go wrong.

It does rather peeve that for the now significant annual cost, the maximum NCB is only 15%.  I'm at the point now that if something is going wrong I think "sod it, I'll get it a mile from the mooring and call them out".

11 minutes ago, dor said:

My biggest beef is the low

"no claims bonus" they offer.  I read about people who seem proud of the fact they call them out two, three or four times a year, usually for trivial problems.  Rightly or wrongly, I've been with them for about ten years, mostly so if the gearbox blew up when my wife was fifty miles from home there might be a chance it could be fixed.  However it has never happened, basically because I know my boat inside out and can fix pretty much most things, but usually fix things before they go wrong.

It does rather peeve that for the now significant annual cost, the maximum NCB is only 15%.  I'm at the point now that if something is going wrong I think "sod it, I'll get it a mile from the mooring and call them out".

In your circumstances, you need only pay them the retainer of £65 per year. In the apparently unlikely event that the worst ever does happen to your wife, 50 miles from home, it will cost an extra £45 for the call out plus parts.

Unless that is what you've been doing, you would be well ahead. If it is what you have been doing, I'm not sure that £65 is that significant?

I've just reassessed my potential to become a member of with RCR. Looked at the costs of each section. Read through the 'whats covered' and 'what's not covered'. 

Say, for instance, my gearbox goes kaput, they may repair or replace. It coukd be due to low oil, it could be wear and tear, it may not be completely kaput. All of which they will not cover it. They don't cover dismantling to gain access to defective parts. The list goes on. Like any insurance there are caveats. The above is how I understand it.

Looking back over 17 years of boat ownership, I think the one and only time I may have called them out would have been for the throttle cable. It say in their conditions cables are not covered. I may have misread it.

Anyway, far too many 'escape' clauses for me, my own personal opinion. I guess my recent issue with a rotten skintank would be as a result of poor maintenance. 

Anyway thats my take on it. 

I'm happy to have the ability to call someone who will come, whether in an hour, or 4 hours, or whatever, and who will have a good chance of being able to fix whatever is wrong. There is no option for them to say they are too busy, and it doesn't matter if it's a Sunday.

If the chances are that most parts may not be covered for a variety of reasons, I'm paying for parts anyway, and would be paying for them if someone else was doing the job, or even me.

I look on the replacement parts cover as a bonus if such a situation arose and it did turn out that I was covered.

It's not what I joined for though. I joined for the peace of mind of being able to call out someone far more knowledgeable than me in the event of having problems, possibly in the middle of nowhere, who can come to the boat within a relatively short time and (hopefully) fix the problem and get me moving again. It's pretty unlikely I'd be able to fix it myself, even if I had the required part(s) with me. I've always assumed that I would have to pay for parts used.

43 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

I look on the replacement parts cover as a bonus if such a situation arose and it did turn out that I was covered.

Same here.  I'm now at an age when I simply can't safely get down into the bilge round the engine and expect to get out again without a fair bit of long term pain.  And my original engineer is older than me... That being said,  the parts I really worry about are things like the starter, alternator, flexible coupling and gearbox, all of which are covered.  I don't think my current oil leak will be covered at all as it's probably wear and tear anyway, or possibly the result of a botched previous repair, but then I haven't actually broken down and can get to a yard under my own steam.  If i couldn't, they'd tow me.

If I'm anywhere near either of my longterm engineers, I'd rather call them out myself and pay them for the job because I know what they can do, but if I'm not, having the insurance of RCR is reassuring.  The guys they use are variable in quality, that's all.

• Greenie 3

53 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Same here.  I'm now at an age when I simply can't safely get down into the bilge round the engine and expect to get out again without a fair bit of long term pain.  And my original engineer is older than me... That being said,  the parts I really worry about are things like the starter, alternator, flexible coupling and gearbox, all of which are covered.  I don't think my current oil leak will be covered at all as it's probably wear and tear anyway, or possibly the result of a botched previous repair, but then I haven't actually broken down and can get to a yard under my own steam.  If i couldn't, they'd tow me.

If I'm anywhere near either of my longterm engineers, I'd rather call them out myself and pay them for the job because I know what they can do, but if I'm not, having the insurance of RCR is reassuring.  The guys they use are variable in quality, that's all.

Wot he said!

• Greenie 1

A couple came in last month, engine basically stopped dead whilst coming through a bridge a mile away...they drifted to the side and called RCR.

They were halfway round the Oxford ring, and had to be in Henley in a weeks time.

Agent attended, looked at engine  tried to start it, it wouldn't, although solenoid clicked. 

He diagnosed faulty starter motor, possibly also starter battery, and probably complete engine seizure. He said nobody from RCR could come out for 6 days to do the starter motor....which had to be changed before they could try anything else.

The.couple came in, asked if there were any starter motor repair places nearby, we said, bring the boat to us, we will have a look..

.and gave them our two punting poles.

They arrived next morning after dropping their car to us, not expecting an easy or quick fix, and drove off to Henley. We tried to start the engine, ..I said gearbox. An identical noise only a previous week in another boat with a Hurth,...with the same symptoms on an ancient boat I was moving.

We tested batteries ,no problem. We dropped the gearbox off the engine, the engine turned easily. New hurth gearbox installed, starter was working as it should, gave the couple a call, who had only just got home, and told them they could continue their cruise. They came back next morning and set off.

?

Funnily enough, 3 days later, they called us with another problem. They came out of a lock in Hemel Hempstead and the engine kept cutting out, it would start again, and then, cut out, they managed to moor up and call us. I told them they had run out of fuel, they said, no, we should have had plenty. I asked when they last filled up, it became vague, so I said, use your RCR membership for something they can help you with, but dont tell them you have run out of fuel.

RcR attended, and sure enough, sheepish chap came to pick his car up a week later and took the stick he was due for running out of fuel very well.?

• Greenie 1

I had them for my first two years cruising. First time I needed them, when my Aquadrive broke, they came out but couldn't fix it. Another engineer visited the boat and he couldn't fix it. Finally they said they needed to take the gearbox and Aquadrive off the boat, send them off for repair or replacement, and they estimated the cost as £2,000 as they didn't believe it was covered - even though the free parts replacement policy lists both gearboxes and aquadrives as covered. I tried arguing with them but they were having none of it. 

In the end I found a local recommended engineer who fixed it for £300 and haven't had any problems since. I didn't renew with RCR and wouldn't recommend them to anyone else. 

• Greenie 1

On 05/08/2019 at 23:20, matty40s said:

A couple came in last month, engine basically stopped dead whilst coming through a bridge a mile away...they drifted to the side and called RCR.

They were halfway round the Oxford ring, and had to be in Henley in a weeks time.

Agent attended, looked at engine  tried to start it, it wouldn't, although solenoid clicked. 

He diagnosed faulty starter motor, possibly also starter battery, and probably complete engine seizure. He said nobody from RCR could come out for 6 days to do the starter motor....which had to be changed before they could try anything else.

The.couple came in, asked if there were any starter motor repair places nearby, we said, bring the boat to us, we will have a look..

.and gave them our two punting poles.

They arrived next morning after dropping their car to us, not expecting an easy or quick fix, and drove off to Henley. We tried to start the engine, ..I said gearbox. An identical noise only a previous week in another boat with a Hurth,...with the same symptoms on an ancient boat I was moving.

We tested batteries ,no problem. We dropped the gearbox off the engine, the engine turned easily. New hurth gearbox installed, starter was working as it should, gave the couple a call, who had only just got home, and told them they could continue their cruise. They came back next morning and set off.

?

Funnily enough, 3 days later, they called us with another problem. They came out of a lock in Hemel Hempstead and the engine kept cutting out, it would start again, and then, cut out, they managed to moor up and call us. I told them they had run out of fuel, they said, no, we should have had plenty. I asked when they last filled up, it became vague, so I said, use your RCR membership for something they can help you with, but dont tell them you have run out of fuel.

RcR attended, and sure enough, sheepish chap came to pick his car up a week later and took the stick he was due for running out of fuel very well.?

Funny how they often say it’s complete engine failure...they said that to both the people I towed....turned out in both cases it was nothing of the sort. Someone is making money. 

We missed out on saving ourselves a few bob. 

On Monday the alternator warning light came on as we were cruising. The washing machine was heating up and the batteries had dropped below 12! Immediately the washing machine, and the inverter was quickly turned off, and the batteries came up again. 

We've got Bronze cover with RCR, so we gave them a call. They confirmed our 'domestic' system wasn't covered, but they could send an engineer out for a charge of £45, if a new alternator was needed we'd have to pay, with a further £45 for the engineer to return with the part. We decided to push on to a boatyard at Kings Lock which wasn't too far away.

It turned out it was the engine battery alternator after all that had turned up its toes of which was inside our RCR cover.

The 'Sterling Advance Alternator Regular' had masked what was happening, and we just assumed it was the domestic battery alternator that was the problem. In the end we had to £135 for a new alternator from Kings Lock chandlers, and 3 hours work to the boat yard! 

Hindsight's a wonderful 'thing' ?

Edited by Jennifer McM

5 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

£135 for a new alternator from Kings Lock chandlers, and 3 hours work to the boat yard! 

Was that their minimum charge ?

3 hours ……………………………. ????????????

Is the access particularly difficult, or was it 2.5 hours diagnosis and 0.5 hours fitting ?

37 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Was that their minimum charge ?

3 hours ……………………………. ????????????

Is the access particularly difficult, or was it 2.5 hours diagnosis and 0.5 hours fitting ?

We overnighted on their wharf for an 8 o/c visit from the mechanic (it was his first day back from hols). We left the boatyard around 12ish. Our problem did seem take a while to diagnose.

The domestic alternator was removed, and replaced with one from the boatyard's store. But the two alternator lights still didn't light up when the engine was first switched on. It turned out the new part didn't work, it was faulty and the boatyard didn't have another alternator. To be sure the mechanic phoned Sterling help desk for advice on the 'Sterling Advance Alternator Regular', and they told him it was the engine alternator that had failed, which confused us all. Sterling's advice turned out to be correct.

John took 'our' faulty engine alternator round the corner to Kings Lock Chandlers and bought the replacement. The new alternator was fitted, and the original domestic alternator was re-fitted, and the two alternator lights lit up when the engine was started. (Note to self, label the warning lights for which light goes with which alternator!)

The bill for labour only was £130 including VAT for 3 hours work, they knocked off an hour because of their faulty alternator. 

To be fair, we don't have a problem with the work from the boatyard. 

Edited by Jennifer McM

1 minute ago, Jennifer McM said:

We overnighted on their wharf for an 8 o/c visit from the mechanic (it was his first day back from hols). We left the boatyard around 12ish. Our problem did seem take a while to diagnose.

The domestic alternator was removed, and replaced with one from the boatyard's store. But the two alternator lights still didn't light up when the engine was first switched on. It turned out the new part didn't work it had a fault and the boatyard didn't have another alternator. To be sure the mechanic phoned Sterling help desk for advice on the 'Sterling Advance Alternator Regular', and they told him it was the engine alternator that had failed, which confused us all. Sterling's advice turned out to be correct.

John took 'our' faulty engine alternator round the corner to Kings Lock Chandlers and bought the replacement. The new alternator was fitted, and the original domestic alternator was re-fitted, and the two alternator lights lit up when the engine was started. (Note to self, label the warning lights for which light goes with which alternator!)

The bill for labour only was £130 including VAT for 3 hours work, they knocked off an hour because of their faulty alternator. 

To be fair, we don't have a problem with the work from the boatyard. 

It all adds up doesn't it.

I couldn't see a 'straight swap' being more than a couple of bolts and a couple of wires taking 1/2 hour.

• Greenie 1

14 hours ago, Jonkx said:

Finally they said they needed to take the gearbox and Aquadrive off the boat, send them off for repair or replacement, and they estimated the cost as £2,000 as they didn't believe it was covered - even though the free parts replacement policy lists both gearboxes and aquadrives as covered. I tried arguing with them but they were having none of it. 

Out of interest, if both gearbox and aquadrive are listed as being covered what was the reason given for their refusal?

15 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

We missed out on saving ourselves a few bob. 

On Monday the alternator warning light came on as we were cruising. The washing machine was heating up and the batteries had dropped below 12! Immediately the washing machine, and the inverter was quickly turned off, and the batteries came up again. 

We've got Bronze cover with RCR, so we gave them a call. They confirmed our 'domestic' system wasn't covered, but they could send an engineer out for a charge of £45, if a new alternator was needed we'd have to pay, with a further £45 for the engineer to return with the part. We decided to push on to a boatyard at Kings Lock which wasn't too far away.

It turned out it was the engine battery alternator after all that had turned up its toes of which was inside our RCR cover.

The 'Sterling Advance Alternator Regular' had masked what was happening, and we just assumed it was the domestic battery alternator that was the problem. In the end we had to £135 for a new alternator from Kings Lock chandlers, and 3 hours work to the boat yard! 

Hindsight's a wonderful 'thing' ?

I d contact RCR, tell them about the wrong diagnosis and see if they'll reimburse you. Won't hurt to ask.