RCR: Anybody had any serious problems with them?

Martin@75

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Martin@75 said:

Has any body had any serious problems with Canal & River Rescue recently?

There are always the chance of 'problems' (taking longer to arrive than you hope for, not having the parts to fix it on the 1st visit, etc etc).

What do you mean by "serious problems" ?

I’ve helped two boats out after RCR wrongly diagnosed/wouldn’t tow them....and our marina workshop had another boat come in with a vintage engine that the RCR engineer tried to sort a knock out by revving it hard for 5 mins....it sorted it to be fair...it spun a big end! 

Ill now wait for the lovely chap from RCR to threaten me with all sorts of legal action again for stating the truth....

edited to correct brain fart! Thanks Alan for pointing it out! 

Edited by frangar

2 minutes ago, frangar said:

I’ve helped two boats out after C&RR wrongly diagnosed/wouldn’t tow them....and our marina workshop had another boat come in with a vintage engine that the C&RR engineer tried to sort a knock out by revving it hard for 5 mins....it sorted it to be fair...it spun a big end! 

Ill now wait for the lovely chap from C&RR to threaten me with all sorts of legal action again for stating the truth....

Do we assume you also mean River Canal Rescue, (RCR), or is there another outfit called Cnal and River Rescue?

If things are going to be said about them, I think at least the name should be correct.

6 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Do we assume you also mean River Canal Rescue, (RCR), or is there another outfit called Cnal and River Rescue?

If things are going to be said about them, I think at least the name should be correct.

Yes! Now edited. Obviously not quite awake yet.....

Edited by frangar

18 minutes ago, frangar said:

Yes! Now edited. Obviously not quite awake yet.....

A Freudian slip methinks, IMHO they should be called Canal and River Rescue, or maybe just Canal Rescue, according to their T&C's.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Did you mean River and Canal Rescue?

If so, no. We have been members for at least ten years.

Why do you ask?

Pedant alert!

If you have been members for that long,look at the paperwork.  Certainly their current web-site suggests there is no "and" in the company name.

Edited by Athy
  • Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, frangar said:

Why not share with us all?? Sort of the point of a forum....you are quick enough to name others. 

But if a member has something to say which others may consider libellous, it is reasonable that he say it in private.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Edited by Athy

2 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Pedant alert!

If you have been members for that long,look at the paperwork.  Certainly their current web-site suggests there is no "and" in the company name.

Not pedantry at all, Alan, simply correctness, of which I'm totally in favour, so thank you for pointing out my error. 

(Though their name would make more sense with an "and" or an ampersand inserted. Canal River Trust, anyone?)

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

(Though their name would make more sense with an "and" or an ampersand inserted. Canal River Trust, anyone?)

Well of course  the Canal and River Trust for  some reason have chosen to omit the "and" from their web domain name and staff email addresses - something that regularly still catches me out.

7 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Methinks you are confusing me with someone else. It is a contentious subject and litigious. 

Well you seem to enjoy pointing out if CRT management have failed in your eyes....oh and as I’ve said RCR have threatened me but as it’s the truth that holds no worry for me! 

I've probably had half a dozen callouts with RCR over the past seven or eight years. A failed started motor was replaced quickly although the bloke had to phone someone up to check how to wire it.  A gearbox problem led to the engineer they sent saying he knew nothing about Listers, refusing to read the manual and walking away, leaving me stranded.  Another made a valiant effort to fix a broken fuel pipe, failed and again left me stranded - as it turned out because he'd simply used the wrong washers.

Two absolutely excellent guys sent on two other breakdowns, both Lister experts (which I always ask for) and both got me going in about half an hour.  A gearbox failure led to advice for me to limp home if I could rather than get a tow as that would save me money in the long run - RCR contributed £1000 twice to gearbox repairs, even though it cost me nearly as much to repair the damage that one of the engineers did to the rest of the transmission when he replaced the mended box.

The last pair who did an engine service this year for me (never again) did a reasonable job but managed to insult the mooring owner while messing up his yard, for which I asked for an apology which has not been received.

So all in all, a mixed bag.  I stay with them for the security of knowing I can get an engineer out if needed, with a bit of luck one who knows what he's doing.  If i break down completely, they'll get me to a yard and if in their schedule contribute to some of the costs.

I think they do their best, a lot depends on the pot luck of who is available to be sent out. Generally, their blokes aren't knowledgeable about old engines - I gather they don't pay well, so most are young and fairly inexperienced. Once they know what they're doing, they tend to leave and go self employed.

As with any large(ish) organisation they will have thousands of customers, and it is not humanly possible to get it 100% right 100% of the time for 100% of the customers. Once in a while a company simply drops the ball and what they do about it to correct the problem is how they should be judged, not that they got it wrong in the first place. 

Also, there will always be a few customers with unrealistic HIGH expectations and whatever the company does for them, it will never be good enough.

CRT seem to suffer quite badly from this effect given some of the views expressed here, and how widely those views differ from my own experiences of dealing with CRT.

(Vollies apart :giggles:

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
a
  • Greenie 3
  • Happy 1

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

As with any large(ish) organisation they will have thousands of customers, and it is not humanly possible to get it 100% right 100% of the time for 100% of the customers. Once in a while a company simply drops the ball and what they do about it to correct the problem is how they should be judged, not that they got it wrong in the first place. 

Also, there will always be a few customers with unrealistic HIGH expectations and whatever the company does for them, it will never be good enough.

CRT seem to suffer quite badly from this effect given some of the views expressed here, and how widely those views differ from my own experiences of dealing with CRT.

(Vollies apart :giggles:

I totally agree with this viewpoint. Only called  them out once in eight years of membership. They were prompt, the problem quickly resolved and we were on our way again.

Bit like buying a sofa from DfS. Never had a problem with them personally,  but reviews are awful.

They do have some weird ideas of what constitutes part of the engine though, When my coolant hose to the skin tank chafed through and dumped the coolant into the bilge, I was asked to pay for the pipe as it was not part of the engine but the refill with antifreeze was 'free'. Quite how they work that one out I'm not sure but the antifreeze was more than the pipe so I paid.