Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Bel

Round three pin sockets and charging mobile phone

Featured Posts

Our boat has only three pin round sockets.  Ordinarily we never take a mobile phone , tablet etc preferring to leave them all behind.  For our next trip we need to be in contact with the outside world and therefore need to take a mobile phone and ensure it is charged..  Has anyone any idea how we can charge it please?  The boat is basic with no frills. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
23 minutes ago, Bel said:

Our boat has only three pin round sockets.  Ordinarily we never take a mobile phone , tablet etc preferring to leave them all behind.  For our next trip we need to be in contact with the outside world and therefore need to take a mobile phone and ensure it is charged..  Has anyone any idea how we can charge it please?  The boat is basic with no frills. 

I assume that the 3pin round sockets re 12V dc?
Will your phone charge off a USB socket? I bought an adapter on Ebay that goes from 12V dc down to a USB outlet. I simply cut the cigarette lighter plug off and fitted a round pin plug. Use it all the time without problems. I'll try and find a link.

This sort of thing:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ytesky-Inventor-Converter-Transformer-Adapter/dp/B07QQ587K3/ref=asc_df_B07QQ587K3/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=345504185242&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3168173608124284322&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006626&hvtargid=pla-751020535191&psc=1

Edited by Guest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, catweasel said:

I assume that the 3pin round sockets re 12V dc?
Will your phone charge off a USB socket? I bought an adapter on Ebay that goes from 12V dc down to a USB outlet. I simply cut the cigarette lighter plug off and fitted a round pin plug. Use it all the time without problems. I'll try and find a link.

This sort of thing:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ytesky-Inventor-Converter-Transformer-Adapter/dp/B07QQ587K3/ref=asc_df_B07QQ587K3/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=345504185242&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3168173608124284322&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006626&hvtargid=pla-751020535191&psc=1

Just make sure you understand how the socket has been wired. Often the earth pin plus one other is use for 12VDC to prevent possible damage it  mains appliance is plugged in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To charge my mobile phone on the boat, I fitted a car cigarette lighter socket next to a 12v round pin socket, and bought a car USB charger from ebay for a couple of pounds, it worked well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A multimeter is handy to make sure you get the polarity right. Normally the contact in the centre of the cigar lighter plus is positive, and the casing is negative. Then you can stick the prods into the  round pin socket to discover which way round that is wired. On my boat the right hand one is positive, but worth checking ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that it is a good plan to convert all the round pin sockets to cigar lighter sockets.

 

N

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Theo said:

I think that it is a good plan to convert all the round pin sockets to cigar lighter sockets.

 

N

I can't agree.

The round pin sockets will reliably carry significantly greater currents than cigar style sockets are generally capable of, (particularly if you use the 5A variety rather tan the 2A variety).

The latter are OK-ish for simple low current charging tasks, but not really so for anything even slightly more demanding

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I can't agree.

The round pin sockets will reliably carry significantly greater currents than cigar style sockets are generally capable of, (particularly if you use the 5A variety rather tan the 2A variety).

The latter are OK-ish for simple low current charging tasks, but not really so for anything even slightly more demanding

Totally agree.

Cigarette lighter sockets are best avoided. The cheaper 'plugs' for these frequently aren't solid enough to stay in properly. The 12V usb outlet wired in gets my vote.

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/08/2019 at 22:11, David Mack said:

I have fitted some 12V to USB converters like this.

s-l400.jpg

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F352299050716

Just connected the 12V to the lighting supply wires.

Just be aware that these have active electronics in to convert from 12v to 5v for the USB and can take significant standing current even  when nothing is plugged in. Some are very good and take effectively zero, but some will take 30 or 40 milliamps. It's up to your judgement if an amp-hour a day is a significant extra draw on the batteries or not.  If it is, a switch on the 12v side solves the problem.

 

MP.

 

ETA just looked again and the one suggested looks to have switch. Most don't.

Edited by MoominPapa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Just be aware that these have active electronics in to convert from 12v to 5v for the USB and can take significant standing current even  when nothing is plugged in. Some are very good and take effectively zero, but some will take 30 or 40 milliamps. It's up to your judgement if an amp-hour a day is a significant extra draw on the batteries or not.  If it is, a switch on the 12v side solves the problem.

 

MP.

 

ETA just looked again and the one suggested looks to have switch. Most don't.

I picked one with a switch deliberately. It also has a small red light to show when it is switched on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Floating Male said:

Totally agree.

Cigarette lighter sockets are best avoided. The cheaper 'plugs' for these frequently aren't solid enough to stay in properly. The 12V usb outlet wired in gets my vote.

John

I picked up a small inverter, chopped the cigar lighter plug off the end and attached a round pin plug ... I wouldn't risk using it unattended, but it re-charges the phones and spare battery packs during the day's cruising and runs the laptop in the evening to watch a DVD if necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's like the one I use in the car it has a small VERY BRIGHT blue light which is annoying/distracting at night!

6 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I picked one with a switch deliberately. It also has a small red light to show when it is switched on.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I can't agree.

The round pin sockets will reliably carry significantly greater currents than cigar style sockets are generally capable of, (particularly if you use the 5A variety rather tan the 2A variety).

The latter are OK-ish for simple low current charging tasks, but not really so for anything even slightly more demanding

 

This^^^^.

 

I use a small round 3 pin for the 12 volt TV and these usb adaptors in the cigar lighter sockets to charge phones and tablets.

 

 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Charger-PowerIQ-Technology-Motorola-black/dp/B00VH84L5E/ref=asc_df_B00VH84L5E/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=311081482938&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16315453095591067787&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007147&hvtargid=pla-366540046736&psc=1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/08/2019 at 18:28, Bel said:

Our boat has only three pin round sockets.  Ordinarily we never take a mobile phone , tablet etc preferring to leave them all behind.  For our next trip we need to be in contact with the outside world and therefore need to take a mobile phone and ensure it is charged..  Has anyone any idea how we can charge it please?  The boat is basic with no frills. 

We use an Adapt It 2-3 pin plug - 12 volt cigarette lighter (from chandlers/caravan shops) with a Ring Mini Inverter 12 volt (from Screwfix no 88988 £24.99).

 

We use it for charging mobile phones and kindles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
11 hours ago, Pie Eater said:

We use an Adapt It 2-3 pin plug - 12 volt cigarette lighter (from chandlers/caravan shops) with a Ring Mini Inverter 12 volt (from Screwfix no 88988 £24.99).

 

We use it for charging mobile phones and kindles.

I have one of these as my silly laptops and camera can't be charged from a 12V to 19V converter, which my previous one could..
It is a very useful little inverter and surprisingly efficient (though not quite as good as the 12-19 converter.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/08/2019 at 22:29, alan_fincher said:

I can't agree.

The round pin sockets will reliably carry significantly greater currents than cigar style sockets are generally capable of, (particularly if you use the 5A variety rather tan the 2A variety).

The latter are OK-ish for simple low current charging tasks, but not really so for anything even slightly more demanding

I think that you are right on that.  I haven't done it myself.  It was an idea that I got from a fellow boater who was busy changing all of his.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you again everyone.  It has made me realise the lack of depth to my knowledge of the boats electrics, something I am actively addressing and your contributions are helping me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.