Protective surround for outboard

brian1042

Featured Posts

Some boats have various types of protective surrounds for their outboards. I think some of these are integral to the boats.

My outboard does not have such protection and I have to be very careful if reversing onto moorings.

I am thing of putting a strong metal bracket each side of the engine, attached to the transom. At the other end of these I would fix a tyre. This would enable the engine to lift if it hits something on the bottom.

This is the best idea I can think of.

Are there any ready-made engine protectors / cages out there?

Does anyone have other DIY suggestions?

Thanks

We  had a ski/wakeboard bar which doubled as a protection bar. I seem to recall the bar bolted onto the motors therefore lifted up when tilted. Bought it in a marina in France off the shelf so they can be found.

4 minutes ago, Clodi said:

We  had a ski/wakeboard bar which doubled as a protection bar. I seem to recall the bar bolted onto the motors therefore lifted up when tilted. Bought it in a marina in France off the shelf so they can be found.

Thank you. I will do a search. Do you happen to have any pics please?

Hinged on one side, a removable pin on the other, so that the outboard can swing up. I have a pair of elephant vet long gloves for clearing the prop, no need to lift the engine every time. 

IMG_20170526_165203.jpg

5 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Hinged on one side, a removable pin on the other, so that the outboard can swing up. I have a pair of elephant vet long gloves for clearing the prop, no need to lift the engine every time. 

IMG_20170526_165203.jpg

Thank you. Did you make it yourself or did you buy the metal unit?

Edited by brian1042

45 minutes ago, brian1042 said:

Thank you. Did you make it yourself or did you buy the metal unit?

Made it myself out of found 2 x 1 steel tube, the round plate that the fender is attached to is  a porthole cut out.