Roof vent and paint

Featured Posts

Hi everyone hope you're all well.

Currently have a few questions for you wise people ?.

1. First up reference the photo.

Is it a problem having an air vent so close to the chimney?

I am close to painting the roof and cabin but can't decide on paint type.

Roof and deck paint I am guessing is just paint with grit in for grip ? Please correct me if wrong.

Not worried about the roof as we won't be walking on it (no room)

I will be rolling so what's a good brand of rollor and brush to use.

Don't want anything that's going to break up on me.

When it comes to hook's and rope tie points should I be looking to use an enamel ?

Thank in advance ? Tim

IMG_20190804_145939.jpg

I’ve got Craftmaster Raddle as a topcoat on my roof. Seems to have a rubbery type texture which is more grippy than slippy.

The vent looks very strange where it is, but I guess whoever put it there had their reasons. Are all your vents off centre?

I’m no expert on positioning, but I’m sure I’ve seen my chimney dump a load of smoke on the roof around it, from time to time, in still air.

7 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I’ve got Craftmaster Raddle as a topcoat on my roof. Seems to have a rubbery type texture which is more grippy than slippy.

The vent looks very strange where it is, but I guess whoever put it there had their reasons. Are all your vents off centre?

I’m no expert on positioning, but I’m sure I’ve seen my chimney dump a load of smoke on the roof around it, from time to time, in still air.

Hi Richard

The vents are staggered on the roof.

Ignor the two close together one is a temporary cover for a gas flue.

IMG_20190516_124329.jpg

We've used B&Q floor paint for repainting decks that already have a texture, but if you're not going to be walking on it, non slip doesn't matter.When you say "no room", is that because you pile a lot of stuff on the roof. If that's the case, you don't need a coach finish, just fairly tidy waterproofing. I'd stick with several coats rolled on. 

If you're obliged to paint without cover, the biggest problem with roofs is picking a dry but dull day. Even on what seems to be a cool sunny day, steel tends to heat up, the paint dries too quickly, and you have to go like the clappers to maintain a wet edge. I've tried adding Owatrol with only limited  success .

I'd paint all the sticky-up bits like hooks and rings with enamel before you do the main roof, and unless you enjoy polishing brass, I'd paint the ventilator as well.

I would stress I'm no expert,just someone who's wrestled with the elements for years to stop boats dissolving in the rain.

That's a lot of roof, and I see why you won't be walking on it!

3 minutes ago, DRP said:

We've used B&Q floor paint for repainting decks that already have a texture, but if you're not going to be walking on it, non slip doesn't matter.When you say "no room", is that because you pile a lot of stuff on the roof. If that's the case, you don't need a coach finish, just fairly tidy waterproofing. I'd stick with several coats rolled on. 

If you're obliged to paint without cover, the biggest problem with roofs is picking a dry but dull day. Even on what seems to be a cool sunny day, steel tends to heat up, the paint dries too quickly, and you have to go like the clappers to maintain a wet edge. I've tried adding Owatrol with only limited  success .

I'd paint all the sticky-up bits like hooks and rings with enamel before you do the main roof, and unless you enjoy polishing brass, I'd paint the ventilator as well.

I would stress I'm no expert,just someone who's wrestled with the elements for years to stop boats dissolving in the rain.

Thanks DRP 

I am lucky enough to now have the boat under cover and a small amount of control over temperature.

Done a lot of spray painting in the past but never rollor and brush off so looking forward to having a go.

The roof will be pretty full solar panels plank,poles ect.

Don't see much point in walking on a roof either so ...

Image of us moving across our yard to the shed for your enjoyment ?

IMG_20190730_110741.jpg

Boat looks nice. If you've got cover, the world is your oyster regarding paint!

Whatever you use, I think I'd try adding Owatrol; it just gives you a little more time.

If you wanted to give it a try, I think the floor paint comes in red and grey. I've used the grey for decks, but found it a bit on the light side.

Best of luck!

• Happy 1

As far as the decks go, why don't you get the rubber mat with holes in to go over? That's what I have and I don't regret it. Saves feet getting burned or frozen on hot/cold days or if you have boots on then stones stuck in the treads can't do any harm. The thick rubber stuff is quite therapeutic to walk on too.

1 hour ago, Johny London said:

As far as the decks go, why don't you get the rubber mat with holes in to go over? That's what I have and I don't regret it. Saves feet getting burned or frozen on hot/cold days or if you have boots on then stones stuck in the treads can't do any harm. The thick rubber stuff is quite therapeutic to walk on too.

Oddly enough I have bought a mat for the stern.

Thinking you're right I might as well get one for the bow ?