Whale Watermaster

The Lea's

Featured Posts

On ‎05‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 09:22, Sea Dog said:

Solid advice above regarding the long run. Also consider using clear food grade suction hose with a wire spiral (cheaply available from eBay) - you can see what's going on if you have issues and it won't collapse under suction. You'd be ok with 15mm then and this will avoid any need  to change fittings on your pump (or your mesh screen filter before it - don't forget that bit).

What's wrong with Hep20 or Speedfit? They don't collapse under suction. I've just got a 1 metre long 15mm dia flexible stainless braided tap connector from my tank as it has to get under the BT tunnel. That then connects to an isolator and to 15mm Hep pipe. The pump is a good 8ft from the tank and it's fine. The flexible tap connector doesn't collapse under suction either. No need to complicate matters.

Edited by blackrose

14 hours ago, blackrose said:

What's wrong with Hep20 or Speedfit? They don't collapse under suction. I've just got a 1 metre long 15mm dia flexible stainless braided tap connector from my tank as it has to get under the BT tunnel. That then connects to an isolator and to 15mm Hep pipe. The pump is a good 8ft from the tank and it's fine. The flexible tap connector doesn't collapse under suction either. No need to complicate matters.

Nothing, other than its relative inflexibility. Indeed my own fresh water system is plumbed in Speedfit both pre and post pump with the exception of short legs running to and from the pump.  These are flexible and allow loops, both of which isolate vibration and noise. Hardly complicating matters methinks. :)

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Nothing, other than its relative inflexibility. Indeed my own fresh water system is plumbed in Speedfit both pre and post pump with the exception of short legs running to and from the pump.  These are flexible and allow loops, both of which isolate vibration and noise. Hardly complicating matters methinks. :)

Same here. Edit to add, But still the pumps done seem to last long

Edited by ditchcrawler

On 09/08/2019 at 16:35, blackrose said:

I've just got a 1 metre long 15mm dia flexible stainless braided tap connector from my tank...

A little word of warning for those who may wish to follow this advice. Not all braided tap connectors are equal - some have only a 10mm or even 8mm bore. So if you’re going to use one ensure that it has the full 15mm internal bore (just look down it). 

On 08/08/2019 at 13:21, Ex Brummie said:

External air pressure has no effect on lift. The liquid will find its level in an open circuit. If you then apply a suction pump to that circuit, that pump needs to be able to overcome the weight of the liquid. Study a few pump curves, and you will see that pipe diameter radically affects the performance of the pump. Go back to my original analogy of sucking through a drinking straw as opposed to a kitchen roll insert.

Can't help but disagree with more or less ALL of this. 

The bigger the pipe diameter, the more surface area exposed to the pump 'suction' (actually air pressure acting on the surface of the water in the tank). So the suction of the pump will prime the pump at the same max height regardless of the pipe diameter. A bigger pipe diameter will take longer, but it will always get there. Your analogy is borrux, to use a technical term.