River Severn - Single Handed

jeddlad

Featured Posts

On 05/08/2019 at 19:46, Rob-M said:

Why didn't you walk up and knock on his window...?

The thread has got mighty confused but I believe this question was in response to Keeping Up in relation to Diglis lock.

There isn’t a proper facility to tie up and get onto the bank below Diglis.

JP

Remember a few years ago when CRT were going to get rid of the bridge keepers on the G&S?  Replace them with a system where you had an app on your phone or tablet and operated the bridge automatically?  Or if not too technologically minded, you phoned a central office where they did it remotely?

Or did I dream that?

7 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

The thread has got mighty confused but I believe this question was in response to Keeping Up in relation to Diglis lock.

JP

Or below Upper Lode, unless you like climbing.

54 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Remember a few years ago when CRT were going to get rid of the bridge keepers on the G&S?  Replace them with a system where you had an app on your phone or tablet and operated the bridge automatically?  Or if not too technologically minded, you phoned a central office where they did it remotely?

Or did I dream that?

Or below Upper Lode, unless you like climbing.

They are still testing the bridge at Sandfield (the road bridge south of Saul junction).  They open and close the bridge remotely from the next bridge going south.  When it doesn’t work they get the bridge keeper from junction bridge to walk  down and do it manually.  In true CRT style the notice with the phone number to call when the bridge doesn’t open is in a tiny font on the off side.

Edited by Chewbacka

3 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

JP

Yes it was in response to Keeping Up.

I've picked crew up below Diglis Lock last year so there must have been somewhere safe for them to get on the boat. I'm sure they came down a ladder before we went in to the lock.

It does depend on the river level. When the river is low, it's a long way below the bottom of Diglis and if there is a ladder (Can't remember) it would be a steep climb; last year we arrived there when the river was very high and we could have stepped straight off the boat on to the wall with no difficulty.

25 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

There is a floating pontoon at Diglis, just downstream of the lock.  It looks very shiny though, so could be new.

This is good news if there is one. My personal bug bear with the Severn is the lack of lock landings. It's a real problem if you miss the last entry to the lock; at Diglis it would mean a long trek back to Upton for a safe overnight mooring.

25 minutes ago, nebulae said:

Last time I was on the G&S I seem to remember that the bridge which opperates the next unmanned bridge (Sandford) is the only one appart from Llanthony which has V.H.F.

It's a while since we moved off the G&S, but I think Purton bridges used to have VHF (along with Junction and Llanthony).

1 hour ago, Dave123 said:

This is good news if there is one. My personal bug bear with the Severn is the lack of lock landings. It's a real problem if you miss the last entry to the lock; at Diglis it would mean a long trek back to Upton for a safe overnight mooring.

I'm not entirely sure but when I've been that way, it's looked to me like you could moor overnight here

Anybody know?

Capture.JPG

1 hour ago, Onewheeler said:

It's a while since we moved off the G&S, but I think Purton bridges used to have VHF (along with Junction and Llanthony).

That is how it was when were were last there about 3 years ago.  The only bridges were Purton, which controls two bridges, Junction which is a junction so you need to communicate your intention on which way you are going, and Llanthony which acts as a sort of harbour master for the docks area with the trip boats reporting numbers on board to them and requesting movements.

I've never communicated with any bridge keepers on the G&S when approaching a bridge other than to give Junction Bridge an indication of when I am turning in towards the marina by sticking an arm out and this only needs to be done when approaching from the Sharpness end as from the other two directions you have to head towards Sharpness and wind in front of the RW Davis yard.

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

I've never communicated with any bridge keepers on the G&S when approaching a bridge other than to give Junction Bridge an indication of when I am turning in towards the marina by sticking an arm out and this only needs to be done when approaching from the Sharpness end as from the other two directions you have to head towards Sharpness and wind in front of the RW Davis yard.

Similar, we have had the short term mooring in Saul Junction marina twice and letting the bridge know your intentions smooths it along, as if you are approaching from the south they can just give you a green without swinging the bridge.  I did observe when we were at the services in the basin, a boat with the guy with his arm out hovering for ages, a lot easier with VHF as you know what the score is straight away, rather than waiting for a green.

I did once call up Purton when I had been hovering at the upper bridge for ages, my guess is the keeper at the lower bridge that controls the upper was having a snooze, VHF at least woke him up and the bridge was opened straight away.

16 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Similar, we have had the short term mooring in Saul Junction marina twice and letting the bridge know your intentions smooths it along, as if you are approaching from the south they can just give you a green without swinging the bridge.  I did observe when we were at the services in the basin, a boat with the guy with his arm out hovering for ages, a lot easier with VHF as you know what the score is straight away, rather than waiting for a green.

I did once call up Purton when I had been hovering at the upper bridge for ages, my guess is the keeper at the lower bridge that controls the upper was having a snooze, VHF at least woke him up and the bridge was opened straight away.

A good blast on the horn usually works, but sometimes it takes a couple at Sims bridge, reckon he is in the back making tea.

3 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

I'm not entirely sure but when I've been that way, it's looked to me like you could moor overnight here

Anybody know?

Capture.JPG

Think that area along the weir wall is very shallow and is a salmon fishing area 

image.png.946a21c27f021ae27c270c6630d7f320.png

Step and landing below lock

Edited by max's son
add info

Do you mean the pontoon below the canal lock or below Diglis river lock?

Both.  There is a pontoon below Diglis lock on the river and a pontoon with a waterpoint just above the river lock.

There is also a floating pontoon visitor mooring opposite the wier top and a floating lock landing immediately downstream of Diglis Junction.

The pontoon downstream of Diglis Island on the river must be new as Google maps doesn't show it, but it's there ... I used it last week!

7 minutes ago, max's son said:

image.png.946a21c27f021ae27c270c6630d7f320.png

Step and landing below lock

The new pontoon is just off to the right of that picture, on the bend.

14 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Both.  There is a pontoon below Diglis lock on the river and a pontoon with a waterpoint just above the river lock.

There is also a floating pontoon visitor mooring opposite the wier top and a floating lock landing immediately downstream of Diglis Junction.

The pontoon downstream of Diglis Island on the river must be new as Google maps doesn't show it, but it's there ... I used it last week!

That one is just for the water point I think.

12 hours ago, Hartlebury lad said:

3 pages.

The first four words in reply to the OP must have encouraged him greatly. 

Since then ........?

Since then there's been loads of useful info given.

14 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

This is good to know.  Can you get off the pontoon onto land?

Since then there's been loads of useful info given.

I would have been very happy to have read this forum, before I first tackled the Severn and Canal, downstream in a 70ft boat.

It was a steep learning curve, having been used to the Thames.

1 minute ago, Chris Williams said:

I would have been very happy to have read this forum, before I first tackled the Severn and Canal, downstream in a 70ft boat.

It was a steep learning curve, having been used to the Thames.

And we haven't even mentioned the crocodiles yet.

• Haha 1