INFO Needed --> LPWS4A

pluto83

Featured Posts

Hi I bagged a bargain and now own a Lister Petter lpws4a, please correct me if I'm wrong the (a) stands for anti clockwise.

I am trying to get parts for it it come without a starter and the alternator is a mess. The flywheel was also flooded and i'm praying will still spin.

I am looking for some info for the correct parts for this model, I can't find a lot online atm, and I am a complete novice with engines, and now keen to learn more.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance to whom may help.

8 hours ago, pluto83 said:

Hi I bagged a bargain and now own a Lister Petter lpws4a, please correct me if I'm wrong the (a) stands for anti clockwise.

I am trying to get parts for it it come without a starter and the alternator is a mess. The flywheel was also flooded and i'm praying will still spin.

I am looking for some info for the correct parts for this model, I can't find a lot online atm, and I am a complete novice with engines, and now keen to learn more.

If you send me a PM with your email I have a complete "LPW" (covers LPWS4 models) parts manual with schematics and part numbers for every part and accessory on the engines

I will forward a copy to you.

Yes A = Anticlockwise engine used for when you have two engines to reduce prop-walk.

11 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Pluto is going to need some more posts before he can access the PM system. Hd should be able to read a PM to him AFAIK, So you could just attach the manual etc to a PM to him.

N

Ok I'll try.

11 hours ago, pluto83 said:

"You Have Mail" (a PM)

I got mislead by something from another site, the a on that engine is just reversed ie mounted on the other side. Phew two days later.

I finally looked at the standard lpws4 image and can see more clearly now. Also have a mechanic friend coming to help me start it, fingers crossed all goes well.

Thanks for my guidance and the contact, the manual is great.

before you try and start it.... have you changed the oil.

the lpws4 has a low level oil filler (in addition to the one on the top) which from the sound of it has been underwater and I wouldn't like to guess how well the filler cap has held out the water.

Be very careful when you try to start it, take the injectors out and pull it over by hand first. You are checking to see if the rings have rusted into the bores (in which case it won't turn), if there is water in the cylinders (which will come out of the injector holes) and that it will turn several complete revolutions by hand

Weak link in this engine is the hydraulic tappets, when they fail they tend to fail 'long'. This leads to the valves hitting the pistons, then bent pushrods and broken rockers. Sometimes blown head gaskets. If a tappet is stuck 'long', the engine won't pull over TDC on that cylinder

Richard

• 2 months later...
On 05/08/2019 at 14:16, RLWP said:

Be very careful when you try to start it, take the injectors out and pull it over by hand first. You are checking to see if the rings have rusted into the bores (in which case it won't turn), if there is water in the cylinders (which will come out of the injector holes) and that it will turn several complete revolutions by hand

Weak link in this engine is the hydraulic tappets, when they fail they tend to fail 'long'. This leads to the valves hitting the pistons, then bent pushrods and broken rockers. Sometimes blown head gaskets. If a tappet is stuck 'long', the engine won't pull over TDC on that cylinder

Richard

what would be a ruff estimate to have it rebuilt?