Mooring near Cropredy tomorrow, 4th August

Kendorr

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Kendorr said:

and, I've just got through Claydon locks in just over an hour!! 

Always nice as a single handed boater when there's a queue waiting to go down and you're going up ?

Kevin

Enjoy the Oxford Summit while you still can.

HS2 works have already started.

?

1 hour ago, Victor Vectis said:

?

I'm really looking forward to HS2 over the Oford summit. I LURVE seeing fast trains from the boat.

7 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

?

Our draft is just under 2 foot and we haven't had any trouble on the summit, including July 2017 when levels were thought to be down a good foot or more but we didn't touch the bottom at all.

Even if it is a bit slow going look on that as a benefit so that you are not tempted to rush it, especially from Fenny Compton to Marston Roles which is a gorgeous 7 miles of canal in my opinion.

Perhaps a bit less so if the HS2 works have indeed started.

We went in both directions a few months ago and the only thing I noticed was some roped-off areas and some signs along the lines of "construction site, keep out".

I didn't notice any evidence of actual work but I'm not particularly observant so I could possibly have missed it.

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, b0atman said:

Rumour has it no festival moorings in Cropredy Marina for 2020

Really? Well the new smaller marina above Old Mill Bridge should be open by then, so that should provide a bit of extra capacity.

1 hour ago, b0atman said:

Rumour has it no festival moorings in Cropredy Marina for 2020

If it's true presumably it's because the new owners can't be bothered with the hassle, assuming there is some.

I wonder how they feel about the Crick festival. Maybe that feels like a bigger, more important/worthwhile thing.

Came over the summit 3 days ago on 2ft 6" draught with no real problem from Fenny to Marston Doles.  Claydon to Fenny was never dredged when the rest was done donkey's years ago so is always a drag though I manage that stretch in just over an hour and just under 3 for the rest.  Good Armco moorings between 130 and 129 make++ a nice overnight break.

Castle Marinas have bought Cropredy and Crick, and its true about the Fairport moorings in 2020.  Also, they don't want winter moorers either but imagine the berths will be 100% occupied with contracted boats.  I know that there is a good income stream from both of the above and wonder if they will change their tune when they review the profit & loss accounts from month to month. 

Also noted this year some selfish git gap mooring out on the line during the festival - 3 spaces added would equal 70ft. 

11 minutes ago, rustynewbery said:

Also noted this year some selfish git gap mooring out on the line during the festival - 3 spaces added would equal 70ft. 

Where do you mean by "out on the line"? Certainly not through the village, where the boats were correctly positioned in close proximity. The only gaps were in the long-term moorings.

Yes, quite a way out of the village though. 

Filming for 'Father Brown' had taken place just before the festival, and at least three working boats had been moored in that vicinity. So those were probably gaps left by the departed 71-footers, then occupied by shorter boats which didn't entirely fill the spaces.

No not so, its only just after the narrow northbound.  I was also around for the Father Brown filming and said boats were gone well before the festival people showed up and the vacant spaces were not 71ft. Trust me.  

And while on the point, those boats remaining should have moved to fill the gaps up, there were plenty of opportunities!

2 minutes ago, rustynewbery said:

No not so, its only just after the narrow northbound.  I was also around for the Father Brown filming and said boats were gone well before the festival people showed up and the vacant spaces were not 71ft. Trust me.  

And while on the point, those boats remaining should have moved to fill the gaps up, there were plenty of opportunities!

I quite agree - though it is a mystery why no one had filled the longer gap.