25 Metre Shore Lines (Cheap)

Featured Posts

48 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

I always find it odd to read posts from what is apparently a boat name, 'speshully when the item that wrote the post claims to be male (presumably a person) but with an apparently female identitty ...............................   :rolleyes:

Oi!

I don't just claim to be male, I am male and I am a person. And I don't identify as a female, or as an "item". Don't come on here casting nasturtiums!

Edited by Lily Rose

1 hour ago, Lily Rose said:

Oi!

I don't just claim to be male, I am male and I am a person. And I don't identify as a female, or as an "item". Don't come on here casting nasturtiums!

but 'Lily Rose' is doing the posting, so presumably that is you, and it inevitably leads to confusion.  Are you a man called Lily Rose, a boat by that name, or perhaps a lady called Ms Lily Rose?  To avoid insult I refer to whoever/whatever is writing the posts under the name Lily Rose as 'an item'.  .............................. I don't have any nasturtiums or any other nasties at present, but I could cast rose petals on your lilies, if that helps.  :wub:

12 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

but 'Lily Rose' is doing the posting, so presumably that is you, and it inevitably leads to confusion.  Are you a man called Lily Rose, a boat by that name, or perhaps a lady called Ms Lily Rose?  To avoid insult I refer to whoever/whatever is writing the posts under the name Lily Rose as 'an item'.  .............................. I don't have any nasturtiums or any other nasties at present, but I could cast rose petals on your lilies, if that helps.  :wub:

Confusion is optional, not inevitable. All necessary information is provided under the (male) avatar. ?

21 minutes ago, GRLMK38 said:

The seller has an interesting range of products for sale, perhaps this is used to take all of the money taken from CWF members to the bank.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-BMW-550i-Security-VR4-Bullet-Resistant-Armoured-Car/162660341917?hash=item25df4fd89d:g:HccAAOSwQBFZrn7i

Bullet resistant! "If you're going to shoot at me, I'd rather you didn't." Type of thing

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Bullet resistant! "If you're going to shoot at me, I'd rather you didn't." Type of thing

Yup I noticed those words.  I would suggest that every vehicle is bullet resistant but that the amount of said resistance is dependent upon what measures are taken to increase the level of resistance.  If it is actually armoured I would hate to have to pay the fuel bill.  I suppose that advert will appeal to the local drug dealers ?

20 hours ago, Dartagnan said:

Yup I noticed those words.  I would suggest that every vehicle is bullet resistant but that the amount of said resistance is dependent upon what measures are taken to increase the level of resistance.  If it is actually armoured I would hate to have to pay the fuel bill.  I suppose that advert will appeal to the local drug dealers ?

Which may explain why it's only done 60 miles in 14 years.

Received mine today. I'm afraid I don't rate the black rubber outer sheathing. The cable arrived pretty badly packaged in a black plastic bag and bubble wrap (not neatly wound like the ebay picture) and part of the cable inside the pack was loose and tangled up in the black plastic. 

I didn't notice the loose bit of cable as I was opening it, but loose black cable tangled in black plastic resulted in a cut cable and my scissors weren't even sharp. I wasn't putting much pressure on either as I thought I was cutting through a bit of bunched up black plastic and bubble wrap. The sheathing seems to have very little resistance to cuts and scrapes so in my opinion it's unsuitable for a shore line. I've started a refund on ebay but I won't be getting another one. I'll stick to blue arctic which seems much more robust to me. 

Edited by blackrose

23 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Received mine today. I'm afraid I don't rate the black rubber outer sheathing. The cable arrived pretty badly packaged in a black plastic bag and bubble wrap (not neatly wound like the ebay picture) and part of the cable inside the pack was loose and tangled up in the black plastic. 

I didn't notice the loose bit of cable as I was opening it, but loose black cable tangled in black plastic resulted in a cut cable and my scissors weren't even sharp. I wasn't putting much pressure on either as I thought I was cutting through a bit of bunched up black plastic and bubble wrap. The sheathing seems to have very little resistance to cuts and scrapes so in my opinion it's unsuitable for a shore line. I've started a refund on ebay but I won't be getting another one. I'll stick to blue arctic which seems much more robust to me. 

Interesting to see if you get a refund when you return it with a ‘cut cable’ ............

30 minutes ago, blackrose said:

The rubber sheath has far better abrasion resistance than the PVC and is commonly used for where the cable is being dragged over concrete (etc) roads.

The Hard PVC is less abrasion resistant but much better at resisting slicing with a sharp knife.

For the application, rubber is actually a better cable than the PVC.

46 minutes ago, blackrose said:

didn't notice the loose bit of cable as I was opening it, but loose black cable tangled in black plastic resulted in a cut cable and my scissors weren't even sharp. I wasn't putting much pressure on either as I thought I was cutting through a bit of bunched up black plastic and bubble wrap. The sheathing seems to have very little resistance to cuts and scrapes so in my opinion it's unsuitable for a shore line.

That' s HO5 for you but what do I know. ?

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The rubber sheath has far better abrasion resistance than the PVC and is commonly used for where the cable is being dragged over concrete (etc) roads.

The Hard PVC is less abrasion resistant but much better at resisting slicing with a sharp knife.

HO7 is better than Artic, HO5 however is not.

22 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

With respect I disagree. For boat use you want resistance to cutting too, for example resistance to accidentally being sheared in a door or hatch jamb, or accidentally dropping deck boards on it. My deck boards have aluminum edging.

Do you have any data on the abrasion resistance of this rubber cable compared to PVC/Arctic? This rubber sheathed cable seems so soft. I'm having trouble believing it's more abrasion resistant.

4 minutes ago, blackrose said:

With respect I disagree. For boat use you want resistance to cutting too, for example resistance to accidentally being sheared in a door or hatch jamb, or accidentally dropping deck boards on it. My deck boards have aluminum edging.

Do you have any data on the abrasion resistance of this rubber cable compared to PVC/Arctic? This rubber sheathed cable seems so soft. I'm having trouble believing it's more abrasion resistant.

40 years ago I could have told you 'off the top of my head' but now …………………..

HO5 is designed for regular use (repeated coiling / uncoiling) in mains extension leads :

H05RR-F Cable

H05RR-F CableClick here to view the cable arrow-no-circles.png

Applications Overview

The H05RR-F cable, also known as 318-TRS tough rubber sheathed flexible cable (harmonised code H05RR-F) is designed for use in fixed installations in domestic premises as well as kitchens and office environments. This robust cable is ideally suited for use as 13 Amp mains extension leads to provide power to portable appliances. With its durable rubber compound insulation and sheath, it can be repeatedly coiled and uncoiled without undue wear, and offers resistance to water and oils.

318-TRS / H05RR-F cables are manufactured in accordance with BS EN 50525-1-21. They have a temperature rating of -25oC to +60oC.

35 minutes ago, blackrose said:

If you want resistance to cutting, the steel wire armoured cable is probably best. Not thst flexible though. ?

7 minutes ago, cuthound said:

If you want resistance to cutting, the steel wire armoured cable is probably best. Not thst flexible though. ?

I don't need the best, just adequate resistance for the application. Blue Arctic will be fine. I don't like this soft rubber sheathing at all - never had a problem with Arctic in terms of either abrasion or resistance to cutting.

Edited by blackrose