Scouting & the Canals - What could go wrong?

midsmatt

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

The perception of a paedophile was some grubby, sexually frustrated middle aged man in bottle end glasses and a dirty mac, the reality was that it more likely to be your local scoutmaster,vicar,football coach,etc, people of some standing in the community.

This is a point that can not be underestimated - it is a person close to the child that is usually the molester, some one who has trained the child to trust them. 

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, midsmatt said:

Interesting I wasn't able to bring up anything recently regarding this sort of thing with the search. 

Really?

Oh well I must be lying then.

I'm sorry my lengthy and well thought out response wasn't as useful as yours was. 

Quote : - "It's one thing to hand a Scout a broom, it's another to put them on a Narrow boat with that broom."

I imagine my suggestion that you were unassertively asking for a free loan of a boat found you out and you felt the need to retaliate, and wrote down the first dribble that popped into your head.

Edited by zenataomm
Fekt the need to answer the door to the Mormons so I could ask them why their church believes in not reporting their members to the Police when they have evidence of child molestation in their ranks
  • Greenie 1
  • Unimpressed 1

1 hour ago, zenataomm said:

Really?

I'm sorry my lengthy and well thought out response wasn't as useful as yours was. 

Quote : - "It's one thing to hand a Scout a broom, it's another to put them on a Narrow boat with that broom."

I imagine my suggestion that you were unassertively asking for a free loan of a boat found you out and you felt the need to retaliate, and wrote down the first dribble that popped into your head.

Wow. I genuinely have no idea how you read into what I said as so negative. Perhaps if we spoke in person you'd realise I'm not at all like the person you seem to have imagined in your minds eye. I did in fact put a lot of thought into what you'd written and whilst I appreciated it I didn't perhaps acknowledge that fact in my reply. Although I didn't quite expect the need to if I'm honest what with us being mostly adults here, I assume?

It's sometimes easy to forget that so much is lost when typing on the internet vs face to face with someone. If you feel the need to insult me please feel free to ask to meet in person. I'm quite happy to discuss how terrible a person you think I am.

And just to be clear. I'm a Scout Leader and I have a near endless list of responsibilities regarding the safety of the children in my care. Two of them are my own. At no point would I suggest any of them attend an event where every level of their and indeed my own safety hadn't been considered. What I'm asking for here is hopefully some great suggestions that might get the next generation of kids out enjoying the Canal system. If you want to see hurdles and barriers fine, but rather than throw more at me I'd appreciate your help getting over them.

• Greenie 4
  • Unimpressed 1

25 minutes ago, midsmatt said:

Wow. I genuinely have no idea how you read into what I said as so negative. Perhaps if we spoke in person you'd realise I'm not at all like the person you seem to have imagined in your minds eye. I did in fact put a lot of thought into what you'd written and whilst I appreciated it I didn't perhaps acknowledge that fact in my reply. Although I didn't quite expect the need to if I'm honest what with us being mostly adults here, I assume?

It's sometimes easy to forget that so much is lost when typing on the internet vs face to face with someone. If you feel the need to insult me please feel free to ask to meet in person. I'm quite happy to discuss how terrible a person you think I am.

And just to be clear. I'm a Scout Leader and I have a near endless list of responsibilities regarding the safety of the children in my care. Two of them are my own. At no point would I suggest any of them attend an event where every level of their and indeed my own safety hadn't been considered. What I'm asking for here is hopefully some great suggestions that might get the next generation of kids out enjoying the Canal system. If you want to see hurdles and barriers fine, but rather than throw more at me I'd appreciate your help getting over them.

2 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Interesting I wasn't able to bring up anything recently regarding this sort of thing with the search. 

That for a start.

As for me insulting you, if that's how you interpret it, it's fine by me. I view your behaviour as passive aggressive. 

Realising how ineffective the written word is I'd expect you to at least read back to yourself what you write, then you may not be so "Wow. I genuinely have no idea how you read into what I said as so negative." Perhaps then you'd like to rephrase it?

Yes most of us are adults here, so what game where you playing when you liked my post after you replied to it in a hurt manner? As I said passive aggressive.

I don't think you're a terrible person, unless you go around putting words in the mouths of everyone as you have with me. 

I don't see why your being a Scout Leader clarifies anything.

You don't need to see all of the hurdles and barriers or additional help getting over them, simply involve the professional agencies that everybody else has signposted you towards and stop trying to replicate their remit. That's why they're there.

Your OP has the flavour of asking boat owners to volunteer their time and resources (as I said before, and you still ignore) others less direct as me pointed you towards the agencies that are designed to meet your need.  As we all know they still deserve funding from you for what they offer.  Is that the problem? Are you trying to do it on the cheap?

8 hours ago, zenataomm said:

That for a start.

And this is the end... I'm sorry you read into what I've said in a way I never intended. I gave you a thumbs up(greenie?) after re-reading your post and noting I hadn't already done so. As I said I genuinely appreciate support from others in an area where I have little knowledge.

My group is fortunate enough to be financially fluid and we live in an area where most parents have a reasonable amount of disposable income. We therefore don't search for ways of making things cheaper but rather more interesting for the children which rarely comes with a cheaper price tag.

I'm sorry if I haven't covered all the points you've raised but genuinely as a busy self employed parent in the six week holidays I honestly don't have the time to delve into this any more. So if you don't mind I'd prefer to agree to disagree and move on.

• Greenie 1

17 hours ago, Richard T said:

I'm the narrowboating advisor for Leicestershire SCouts. Warwickshire scouts have a boat based at Hillmorton http://www.centenarynarrowboat.btck.co.uk/

Other boats available that I know of are London Narrowboat Project http://www.lnbp.co.uk/

Nottingham City Council have two narrowboats - Megan and Tinkers Leen - which are avaialble for youth groups.

Commercially most have been mentioned above but Union Canal Carriers have a couple of 12 berth boats which are suitable. There is a camping boat based in Birmingham but I've forgotten its name - it is an Admiral class boat. William is available http://www.inlandnavigators.co.uk/narrowboat-william.html

If you have any disabled Scouts there are several boats which are suitable - the Peter Le Marchant Trust has two a narrowboat and a wide beam.

The Guide Association have two boats that I know of Tuptonia is based on the N Stratford and there is a second one on the eastern K&A.

If you have a skippered boat the skipper and any crew will need to be qualified - RYA Inland helmsman or Certificate in Community Boat Management. They will also need to have the relevant DBS.

If you are going to skipper the boat yourself you will require an Adventurous Activity Permit for Narrowboating. Further information on this can be found on the Scout web page https://members.scouts.org.uk/supportresources/3427/narrow-boating?cat=419,26,415

If you require further information please send me a private message and I will do my best to help

I think the Tuptonia is based on the Whilton//Blisworth pound nowadays, although still a guides/kidss trip boat.

• Greenie 1

17 hours ago, Richard T said:

I'm the narrowboating advisor for Leicestershire SCouts. Warwickshire scouts have a boat based at Hillmorton http://www.centenarynarrowboat.btck.co.uk/

Other boats available that I know of are London Narrowboat Project http://www.lnbp.co.uk/

Nottingham City Council have two narrowboats - Megan and Tinkers Leen - which are avaialble for youth groups.

Commercially most have been mentioned above but Union Canal Carriers have a couple of 12 berth boats which are suitable. There is a camping boat based in Birmingham but I've forgotten its name - it is an Admiral class boat. William is available http://www.inlandnavigators.co.uk/narrowboat-william.html

If you have any disabled Scouts there are several boats which are suitable - the Peter Le Marchant Trust has two a narrowboat and a wide beam.

The Guide Association have two boats that I know of Tuptonia is based on the N Stratford and there is a second one on the eastern K&A.

If you have a skippered boat the skipper and any crew will need to be qualified - RYA Inland helmsman or Certificate in Community Boat Management. They will also need to have the relevant DBS.

If you are going to skipper the boat yourself you will require an Adventurous Activity Permit for Narrowboating. Further information on this can be found on the Scout web page https://members.scouts.org.uk/supportresources/3427/narrow-boating?cat=419,26,415

If you require further information please send me a private message and I will do my best to help

We have met Centenary on its travels a number of times. The youngsters appear to really Enjoy the experience. Also the two large narrowboats from Braunston. Same story.

Brings back memories of going away camping with the cubs. I had a day when I became very home sick, didn't realise at the time of course, but nobody seemed to care. I got over it. Hardly any food after the leaders has pigged out. Hope it's changed now. This was the fifties.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

We have met Centenary on its travels a number of times. The youngsters appear to really Enjoy the experience. Also the two large narrowboats from Braunston. Same story.

Brings back memories of going away camping with the cubs. I had a day when I became very home sick, didn't realise at the time of course, but nobody seemed to care. I got over it. Hardly any food after the leaders has pigged out. Hope it's changed now. This was the fifties.

Luckily for the kids the Leaders are well catered to by one of our oldest Leaders who knows well fed Leaders equals very happy Scouts.

Thanks for sharing the positive sightings. If the kids were anything like ours you'll have heard them long before you spotted them!

14 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Really?

I must admit I didn't read any of that Into his reply. Funny old places forums

• Greenie 2

21 hours ago, midsmatt said:

Thank you. I can assure you that I will indeed be contacting you once I wrap my head around everything! At the moment I'm doing the initial ground work to test the plausibility factor given the Groups various commitments whilst trying to ensure the Leaders don't end up committed.

I should have known the Scouts would have a PDF for Narrowboating they seem to have one for everything else! Whilst we don't have any Scouts that require physical assistance we do have some with behavioural concerns. That in itself is a head scratcher as I just think of certain children and working locks and I break out in a cold sweat.

I've previously tried to make contact with one of the above organisations you mention but I can't for the life of me remember which. I'd search through my emails but I think we're all starting to guess how that might well work out!

Not read all of the replies so sorry if this is a repeat. 

Firstly, Richard T is definitely your man. He has many years of experience with scouts and narrow boats. 

As to your point about taking scouts with behaviour issues, I agree it's scary to contemplate some with locks. And with current, 'someone's got to be summonsed' culture that is even more scary. Much of my early narrow boat experience was with school parties of mainly 10 and 11 year olds. I recall some challenging characters who gave me nightmares before we left. However, in all the cases I can recall, they responded hugely positively to doing locks, steering a 70foot narrow boat and generally being outdoors and active. I used to wish some of them could do a flight of locks before school each day. I think it's great that you are looking into getting your scouts to use the waterways and I wish you well with your project. 

• Greenie 2

23 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

When we had the farm over in Wales my wife used to run 'equestrian studies' courses as a satellite of the local college.

We were both 'checked' and passed the CRB checks.

We received a 'huge' manual from the college on what we could / could not do.

One thing that always stays in my memory is the fact that if a child 'fell off' the horse and lay on the ground crying, we could not pick them up, give them a cuddle or anything.

Another example :

My wife was allowed to position the child's leg in the correct 'riding position' but I could not touch any children.

Those are the very cautious rules of the college not of legislation. 

3 hours ago, Mrs Trackman said:

Not read all of the replies so sorry if this is a repeat. 

Firstly, Richard T is definitely your man. He has many years of experience with scouts and narrow boats. 

As to your point about taking scouts with behaviour issues, I agree it's scary to contemplate some with locks. And with current, 'someone's got to be summonsed' culture that is even more scary. Much of my early narrow boat experience was with school parties of mainly 10 and 11 year olds. I recall some challenging characters who gave me nightmares before we left. However, in all the cases I can recall, they responded hugely positively to doing locks, steering a 70foot narrow boat and generally being outdoors and active. I used to wish some of them could do a flight of locks before school each day. I think it's great that you are looking into getting your scouts to use the waterways and I wish you well with your project. 

Thank you so much that kind of feedback is really appreciated. Honestly the whole locks and kids with a 'listening issue's' fills me with a sense of foreboding deeper than the deepest lock! Some of our kids are so bad that even with a special needs Teacher as a Leader we still have problems.

2 minutes ago, midsmatt said:

Thank you so much that kind of feedback is really appreciated. Honestly the whole locks and kids with a 'listening issue's' fills me with a sense of foreboding deeper than the deepest lock! Some of our kids are so bad that even with a special needs Teacher as a Leader we still have problems.

Well done you for trying to do something for these kids

• Love 1

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well done you for trying to do something for these kids

Thanks but to be honest the reward in seeing them do things that they might never get the chance to do is better than any job I've actually been paid for. Truly when you see a child who starts off not even being able to look you in the eye or speak, perhaps can only scream and shout at any given situation, maybe spend all their time hidden behind mum for weeks on end suddenly calm down, join in, laugh and play. It's brilliant. Hard work but utterly beyond words sometimes. When the parents hug you then that's always something special.

If I can pull this off it's something new and interesting. They always find wonder in something you've never noticed. 

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1