Delete account

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Charles_Graham said:

Why does every forum and website now hide where to delete an account.

How do I delete my account?

I dont think you can? Whats the problem? simply stop using it if you dont want to contribute.

1 minute ago, Charles_Graham said:

You cannot.

Deletion of account and posts can cause 'chaos' in the flow of posts, leaving huge gaps and making nonsense.

If you really have a good reason to actually delete it PM a mod and give them your reasoning, otherwise just stop posting.

8 minutes ago, Charles_Graham said:

Basically, you can't. Everything you put on the internet is there for ever, whether on here, on Facebook, Twitter, email or anything else. 

This is a fact of life but people still don't generally realise this.

Even if the mods were to delete your account, I'm sure the various archive sites like WayBackMachine will have captured and re-published everything you ever posted on here. 

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Basically, you can't. Everything you put on the internet is there for ever, whether on here, on Facebook, Twitter, email or anything else. 

Even if the mods were to delete your account, I'm sure the various archive sites like WayBackMachine will have captured and re-published everything you ever posted on here. 

It can cause chaos as well.   We had an account for broadband 10 or 12 years ago long closed and forgotten.  I recently set up an account for mobile with the same firm.   I had trouble convincing them I wasn't my wife and the account still has me down as Mr wife's christian name then surname.   I have been trying to get it changed for 21 days still no luck.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

My original ISP went bust twenty years ago, the buyers threatening everyone that unless they paid up with big increases everything would be deleted. My old website is still there, glowering away across the years... 

1 hour ago, Charles_Graham said:

Submit a GDRP request. Your posts are unlikely to be deleted but account details and user name should be.

2 hours ago, Charles_Graham said:

You can and you can't delete your account and though the button's gone I suspect the process is the same. Like StationMaster says you can do it to a certain extent. 

Your posts can't or possibly that's won't be deleted but your identity can be removed. Other members in the past have had this done and their posts now show a username like "Ex-Member" or "Guest Member".  This is an example of an account with the identity removed. 

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/profile/7390-guest-user/

Regardless what other posters have said you DO NOT have to give a reason to anybody even if they ask for it, having said that I suspect the forum owners would rather you were asking for a good reason rather than just for the hell off it. If you don't feel that you need to have your identity removed then you can also ask to have your account deactivated/suspended so that you can't sign in; members in the past with mental health issues have asked for this when they were having problems with emotional regulation. 

Edited by Tumshie
To activate link

You need to submit a Support Request or use the contact us page (link at the bottom of the site) if you wish to have your account deleted. This is not reversible. Please note that any topics/posts you have submitted will remain. 

5 minutes ago, RichM said:

You need to submit a Support Request or use the contact us page (link at the bottom of the site) if you wish to have your account deleted. This is not reversible. Please note that any topics/posts you have submitted will remain. 

I swear I looked really hard for the "contact us" bit before I suggested contacting you directly..... honest :blush:

One way might be to go to your profile and click on "Report This Profile". That should bring up a box that Team Mod will read. 

I can't see that option - I'm not saying its not there I'm just saying I can't see it.....

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ah it used to be there, I've used it once or twice! But not for a couple of years.

Can you imagine if you could go around reporting people instead of just posts...... ? The whole forum would be in chaos with everybody reporting everybody they took umbrage with.... The mods would have nervous breakdown from the overload. 

Yeah, there might be a reason that function isn't available anymore. ?

7 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Can you imagine if you could go around reporting people instead of just posts...... ?

I don't really see the difference. A profile can contain abusive comments or other stuff breaking the rules just like a post can.

I reported a profile for being a doppel once, when the doppel actually admitted being a doppel in open forum, and I reported my own doppel just for clarity. 

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I don't really see the difference. A profile can contain abusive comments or other stuff breaking the rules just like a post can.

I haven't worked out how to do that yet.. you know how people have an about me, I can't do it. 

I reported a profile for being a doppel once, when the doppel actually admitted being a doppel in open forum, and I reported my own doppel just for clarity. 

Ah yes there is that... 

7 hours ago, Tumshie said:

You can and you can't delete your account and though the button's gone I suspect the process is the same. Like StationMaster says you can do it to a certain extent. 

Your posts can't or possibly that's won't be deleted but your identity can be removed. Other members in the past have had this done and their posts now show a username like "Ex-Member" or "Guest Member".  This is an example of an account with the identity removed. 

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/profile/7390-guest-user/

Regardless what other posters have said you DO NOT have to give a reason to anybody even if they ask for it, having said that I suspect the forum owners would rather you were asking for a good reason rather than just for the hell off it. If you don't feel that you need to have your identity removed then you can also ask to have your account deactivated/suspended so that you can't sign in; members in the past with mental health issues have asked for this when they were having problems with emotional regulation. 

Partly, I believe we should all have the right nowadays on the internet, forums, websites, social media, - to opt out whenever we want.

It is not for us to explain to anyone our reasoning, it should be our right to do so.

And we shouldn't have to 'request' or have to search to find out how to do so.

8 minutes ago, Charles_Graham said:

Partly, I believe we should all have the right nowadays on the internet, forums, websites, social media, - to opt out whenever we want.

It is not for us to explain to anyone our reasoning, it should be our right to do so.

The 'problem' is that you are playing with someone else's private "bat & ball", apart from anything illegal they can make whatever rules they want to make and you either go along with them or just don't bother posting.

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, Charles_Graham said:

The forum software does not have built in functionality to allow members to self-delete their account. This could be coded in but in my view it's not worth it. - We probably receive 1-2 account deletion requests in a 3 month period, so the amount of time & effort required to introduce such functionality isn't really justified. Also, if such feature did exist, it would be open to misuse - for example if an account was compromised, it would be possible for it to be deleted by whoever accessed the account. Members could also use it in the heat of the moment and may later regret their decision. With that in mind I think our current approach to this is more than suitable. 

We do however respect any requests for account deletion when submitted to us via the proper channels as stated. We are also happy to assist in other ways, such as changing usernames etc.

5 hours ago, Charles_Graham said:

Ah that old chestnut. A  rant about how it ought to be, not acceptance of how it is. 

Sadly for you I think it will take a generation for your wish to be forgotten on the net to come true. 

• Greenie 1