Lighting

Lizette

Featured Posts

Yes, but I have read that people are either getting bulbs that work with the standard fitting or can replace the actual bulb fitting to suit.

Looking through the posts it seems as if one person is saying definitely not and then others are saying yes.

I just need a clear idea on adaption, parts, led bulbs .

What makes my light fitting only for 240v rather than 12 v? And what is it I need to change to use on the boat?

Thanks

Liza

6 minutes ago, Lizette said:

What makes my light fitting only for 240v rather than 12 v? And what is it I need to change to use on the boat?

The fact that it'll be being supplied with 240v and not 12v - just changing the fitting won't alter that. If you are talking about putting a 240v fitting onto a 12v supply, then only 240v bulbs will fit so it wont work.

If you want 12v light fittings, then buy those. There are plenty out there.

12 minutes ago, Lizette said:

V is for Voltage, and voltage is the 'strength' of the electricity being fed by your boat to the wall lights. 240v is 20 times stronger than 12v, but infinitely more dangerous. Your wall lights could have either. 

If you take a bulb out, it will have the voltage marked on it somewhere, probably in tiny writing. If it says 12v you can't use those new lamps. If it says 240v then yes you can. 

The GU10 bulbs have two 'little mushrooms' as the terminals. I have never seen a 12v version (for obvious reasons).

The 12 volt versions have two 'wire-pins' as terminals.

You cannot get a 12v bulb to fit into your 240v bulb holder.

GU10 bulb.

Image result for gu10 bulb

12 Volts equivalent MR16

Image result for 12v led bulb

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Could you please provide more info on why you purchased these fittings and for what purpose.

ie what is their purpose on your boat, assuming they are for your boat?

The better the information, the easier it will be for you to get some useful advice and perhaps some suggestions for some more suitable fittings.

Photographs are often very useful to help explain things clearly. 

28 minutes ago, Lizette said:

And what is it I need to change to use on the boat?

Take off the 'shade' throw the rest away, buy a new light fitting (12v) and put the shade on it (it may fit)

I take it these are the ones you have purchased :

https://www.dusklights.co.uk/garden-trading-st-ives-exterior-galvanised-mast-light-p2841/s2847?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=garden-trading-st-ives-exterior-mast-light-dl-lahp30&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&cid=GBP&gclid=CjwKCAjw4ZTqBRBZEiwAHHxpfkNdbxtzn3Cha-gCRRAESrDxIVX7X1syDciXOtsIMKyb0l8Tuy7SoBoCdtUQAvD_BwE

Why would you buy exterior 'garden' waterproof lights for use in your boat ?

If there is a reason, maybe let us know so we can suggest 12volt alternatives.

They use a 6.5w LED which is equivalent to about a standard 60w bulb - that is VERY big & bright for use in a boat.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

If you want to use 12V MR16 bulbs in those lamps then you’ll need adaptors to change the GU10 socket to MR16. Loads of them about, such as these:

https://www.vieep.com/index.php/10pcs-led-lamp-base-mr16-socket-gu10-to-mr16-adapter-converter-holder.html

50 minutes ago, Lizette said:

I just need a clear idea on adaption, parts, led bulbs .

Which MR16 LED bulbs you choose is entirely up to you. Bedazzled stock a wide range. 

22 minutes ago, Lizette said:

Different strokes for different folks !

I do understand about voltage Mike but my question was how can I change it from 240v to 12 volts!

Thanks everyone, some useful and amusing comments.

L

Yes   as long as you fit 12V DC bulbs and accept that if it has its own switch then operating it on DC may shorten the life of the switch.

Voltage is pressure trying to push electrons out of the wire so insulation for 240 volts would have no trouble with 12V. However if the makers have used very thin wires then with halogen bulbs there might be  a voltdrop issue but less likely  if you change 240V halogen for 12V LED. So maybe not the straightest answer you were expecting.

I think the things are pig ugly and would not give them house or garden room but that is personal taste.

Tony

Thanks for your comments . As I said to a previous poster. Different strokes.

The world is made up of many people with varying tastes.

I didn't ask anyone for their opinion on my choice of lights. I asked for advice.

Unfortunately ,some people use these forums for being rude to others.

My parents always told me if you have nothing nice to say ,say nothing!

Good advice, I think.

9 minutes ago, Lizette said:

Tony

I didn't ask anyone for their opinion on my choice of lights. I asked for advice.

Good advice, I think.

You tell’em! 

Trouble is lots of peeps on here have been here since God was a boy and ferl very comfortsble and chatty but forget to welcome new posters. Forum also gets very swervy-offy-topicy. 

You seem perfectly able to hold your end up and have a lovely sense of humour so i think you’ll be a great new member if you stick around. So welcome, seeing as no-one else has said it so far!!! 

Trouble is that this is a discussion forum and things get discussed. It is not a "private advice" forum where the original poster can dictate what is said. This is not aimed at you but the demand for replies only conforming to the OP's requirements are becoming more and more common and in my case it leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Again, not aimed at you because you have not been brusque or rude if people do not want discussions about their topic the simplest way is not to ask on a discussion forum. I am sure there are paid for sources of advice available.

I pass no comment on your taste, just my own as far as these lights are concerned.

Yes, agree with Mike, Welcome.

Edited by Tony Brooks

31 minutes ago, Lizette said:

Tony

Good advice, I think.

Put this number into eBay search box

it is for a gu10 to mr16 adaptor.  As you know it does not convert voltage but allows you to run a gu10 fitting from 12v using 12volt mr16 base lamps.  Probably 1 or 2 Watts is bright enough.

the adaptor I used (same problem as you) was about 12mm deep but my fitting was reasonably deep and mr16 bulbs are a bit shallower than gu10, so it might bring the face of the bulb forward more than you want, but mine was fine.

Sorry - don’t know how to turn off blue ink on this tablet.
Edited by Chewbacka

16 minutes ago, Lizette said:

Thanks Mike

Yes, I have noticed the "swervy, offy"

Hi Lizzette and welcome to the forum. :)

Just to go completely off topic, might I suggest that when you reply to people you quote them, this just helps to eliminate any confusion, the quote button is at the bottom of every post that's made. If you want to include someone in the conversation but they haven't posted a comment for you to quote then you can use the at sign, as you type their name that will give you a dropdown box from which you click on the name of the person you want to tag, like so @Lizette. I hope all that makes sense. If you do know all this already then please forgive my intrusion as this is meant with the best of intentions and only to help. 

Tumsh. 

Edited by Tumshie
to add a bit

Thanks-?

18 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Put this number into eBay search box

it is for a gu10 to mr16 adaptor.  As you know it does not convert voltage but allows you to run a gu10 fitting from 12v using 12volt mr16 base lamps.  Probably 1 or 2 Watts is bright enough.

the adaptor I used (same problem as you) was about 12mm deep but my fitting was reasonably deep and mr16 bulbs are a bit shallower than gu10, so it might bring the face of the bulb forward more than you want, but mine was fine.

Sorry - don’t know how to turn off blue ink on this tablet.

Thanks Chewbacka

I always love your responses. That's very clear

L

• Greenie 1

44 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Trouble is that this is a discussion forum and things get discussed. It is not a "private advice" forum where the original poster can dictate what is said. This is not aimed at you but the demand for replies only conforming to the OP's requirements are becoming more and more common and in my case it leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Again, not aimed at you because you have not been brusque or rude if people do not want discussions about their topic the simplest way is not to ask on a discussion forum. I am sure there are paid for sources of advice available.

I pass no comment on your taste, just my own as far as these lights are concerned.

Yes, agree with Mike, Welcome.

Hi Tony

I am saying nothing at all- just as I was taught.

I am sure we shall bump heads again- until the next time lol!