CaRT have enough money official

Midnight

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Well they do have a  lot of shiny new signs. Surely one would only spend money on superficial things like shiny signs once the core things like the integrity of the infrastructure is sorted?

... and I thought shiny blue signs were a top priority, well they seem to be to Mr Parry 

At this moment in time I think Mr Parry's position in a little bit vulnerable. All of a sudden CaRT are in the spotlight and he didn't do very well. Questions will be asked and his record on infrastructure maintenance isn't going to help. It's just been announced to the kingdom that structures like dams are in the hands of a charity. What will the proverbial man on the London omnibus make of that, let alone the good townsfolk of Whaley Bridge, who must be in a living nightmare at this time.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Midnight said:

It's just been announced to the kingdom that structures like dams are in the hands of a charity. What will the proverbial man on the London omnibus make of that,

Never mind that bus bloke, I'M staggered too. I thought they just did rivers and canals.

If they've been looking after the dam like they look after the canals, They probably refused to do any repairs to it previously because it wasn't empty. 

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Never mind that bus bloke, I'M staggered too. I thought they just did rivers and canals.

If they've been looking after the dam like they look after the canals, They probably refused to do any repairs to it previously because it wasn't empty. 

I believe someone told me that there were three reservoirs built to feed the Macclesfield canal, two of which no longer actually feed it as the connecting infrastructure has been left to rot and no longer exists. God alone knows what state they are in, wherever they are. 

I gathered from Parrys waffle that the dams are inspected at ten year intervals (can that be really what he said?), not by CRT but by an associated company, presumably to save costs. And obviously shift any responsibility away from crt itself. And then every couple of days a bloke looks at it to see if it's still there, nods and goes away again. And he said this was rigorous? I suppose it worked OK until yesterday. Parry did rather come over as someone who knew absolutely nothing about what he did for a living, which was a little disappointing. I do wonder what they asked him at his job interview. 

3 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I believe someone told me that there were three reservoirs built to feed the Macclesfield canal, two of which no longer actually feed it as the connecting infrastructure has been left to rot and no longer exists. God alone knows what state they are in, wherever they are. 

I gathered from Parrys waffle that the dams are inspected at ten year intervals (can that be really what he said?), not by CRT but by an associated company, presumably to save costs. And obviously shift any responsibility away from crt itself. And then every couple of days a bloke looks at it to see if it's still there, nods and goes away again. And he said this was rigorous? I suppose it worked OK until yesterday. Parry did rather come over as someone who knew absolutely nothing about what he did for a living, which was a little disappointing. I do wonder what they asked him at his job interview. 

Sadly I don't have a telly so couldn't/didn't watch Newsnight. 

I was in the pub when it was on anyway, chatting to a bellringer who is a civil engineer. He said the panel engineer would have inspected the dam once a month, with a degree of rigour. So depending on when in the month the inspections where scheduled it could have been several weeks since anyone cast a knowledgeable eye over it. 

22 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

What he said was that there were checks every two days, which is what spotted this problem; a big inspection every year; and a really big inspection every ten years.  These are carried out by independent engineers, not to save money, but because it's a statutory requirement to use someone from a panel.

• Greenie 4

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

Well they do have a  lot of shiny new signs. Surely one would only spend money on superficial things like shiny signs once the core things like the integrity of the infrastructure is sorted?

Often the first thing when a new business is started, is to have a new van expensively signwritten.  Not to mention the posh headed notepaper. 

7 hours ago, adam1uk said:

What he said was that there were checks every two days, which is what spotted this problem; a big inspection every year; and a really big inspection every ten years.  These are carried out by independent engineers, not to save money, but because it's a statutory requirement to use someone from a panel.

Thanks - I couldn't get the whole gist watching on a phone, I missed it on the tv. 

7 hours ago, adam1uk said:

Yes to be fair to Mr Parry I thought he explained that very well, though hardly a consolation to the population of Whaley Bridge. 

Where he struggled was when Emma Barnett pressed him on what measures  CRT are taking in light of climate change and the likelihood of further extreme weather events.  He then shot himself in the foot by trying to reassure the public that CRT have sufficient funding, but it didn't wash, and if anything came across as complacency.   I suspect at this point most of us canal users were choking on whatever we happened to be drinking at the time.

I agree that when the immediate crisis is over there is going to be a hue and cry over the safety of the public being in the hands of a charity that, despite Mr Parry's attempt to persuade us otherwise, is insufficiently funded.  So maybe some good will come out of this disaster.

It has to be said though - where was where was the Government/DEFRA representative?  To not put someone up for questioning whilst a major event such as this is unfolding shows absolute contempt for the public, in my view.

11 hours ago, Midnight said:

So according to Mr Parry, bbc Newsnight  CaRT don't need any more money they have enough and spend it where needed, discuss 

The man is a nutter, Take the Money, or Open the Box?

These reservoirs were built years ago, obviously there will be calls for it to be removed/replaced.

To build another one ............... that's never going to happen in my lifetime, or Mr Parry's ever shortening tenure.

Edited by LadyG

2 hours ago, mayalld said:

What we have is that an emergency spillway, which is almost never used, has clearly suffered a crack. It could be imperceptible, and because there is never any running water, nothing happens, there are no tell-tale stains of earth washing out. then a major amount of rain means that the spillway runs, and runs big-time. Water enters, and starts washing away the earth, and it deteriorates rapidly. In all likelihood, but for a freak storm, the next infrequent small overflow would have shown evidence of an incipient problem that would have been fixed.

If you look at the footage on The BBC of the spillway running prior to the failure, right at the beginning of the video you can clearly see plants growing on the spillway, and they don't appear be getting washed away.. which seems to suggest they had decent roots down into something...

Edited by Pete of Ebor