Whaley Bridge Evacuated

furnessvale

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Will the CRT bring back a reservoir keeper, though?

Why should they?

If you think that is necessary then do you also propose that every dam in the country is manned in the same way? If not, why is this dam a special case?

12 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This bit doesn't quite stand up to analysis.

It might turn out that one of the multitude of religions is actually bang on the money and all the proles who by pure luck subscribed to that one, will actually get saved from burning in hell. Therefore not ALL souls necessarily go to Hell. 

Hope that helps.....

It might turn out that all religions are made up, so there is no hell, and no souls go there.  -- and none go to heaven, for the same reason.

2 hours ago, furnessvale said:

I have just read on a local facebook page ...

Must be true, then!

Yeah right

54 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Why should they?

If you think that is necessary then do you also propose that every dam in the country is manned in the same way? If not, why is this dam a special case?

Why not have someone on site...like thames lockies & canal lengthsmen. Their salary would be cheaper than what’s just happened. Sadly the bigger picture is never looked at until it’s too late. 

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

It is good to see the emergency is over, and well it will be of interest to seen what is done to repair the structure.

Will the CRT bring back a reservoir keeper, though?

I read in one report of the public meeting yesterday that the reservoir will have to be completely rebuilt. I assume that means dam, spillways, drawdown system etc. I also assume today that all levels and functions can be monitored remotely from a control room so that people only need to attend if needed. 

4 minutes ago, PaulD said:

I read in one report of the public meeting yesterday that the reservoir will have to be completely rebuilt. I assume that means dam, spillways, drawdown system etc. I also assume today that all levels and functions can be monitored remotely from a control room so that people only need to attend if needed. 

Assuming the person monitoring is awake and not some poor untrained sod on a minimum wage doing his third job of the day. 

If you want an example of how well remote monitoring works, take your life in your hands and try driving down one of them new smart motorways. 

7 minutes ago, PaulD said:

I also assume today that all levels and functions can be monitored remotely from a control room so that people only need to attend if needed. 

Do you mean the sort of software that also detects risky situations, provides warning/alarms,  and maybe even 'takes over' in a perceived emergency? 

16 minutes ago, LancaCanal said:

Do you mean the sort of software that also detects risky situations, provides warning/alarms,  and maybe even 'takes over' in a perceived emergency? 

17 minutes ago, LancaCanal said:

Like in many industries - power plants, mines etc. Backed up by people on site as required.

What is standard practice elsewhere on dams around the world? 

Discuss.

56 minutes ago, PaulD said:

Given that if you look at the CRT strong stream warnings on the CRT website there is high water warnings and “locks closed” for Hatton I’m not sure I trust remote monitoring 

14 minutes ago, frangar said:

Given that if you look at the CRT strong stream warnings on the CRT website there is high water warnings and “locks closed” for Hatton I’m not sure I trust remote monitoring 

Seems to me we have lost the ability to manage anything responsibly. Government and private organisations run by politicians and bean counters with no practical experience and no accountability. 

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

Must be true, then!

Yeah right

What a sad individual you are.

This same facebook page has been the most reliable source of information for residents throughout the entire  emergency.

George

1 hour ago, LancaCanal said:

Like the one on the Boeing 737 MAX, you mean? ?

1 hour ago, frangar said:

Why not have someone on site...like thames lockies & canal lengthsmen. Their salary would be cheaper than what’s just happened. Sadly the bigger picture is never looked at until it’s too late. 

And I will repeat the questions:
If this dam deserves an on-site keeper they why don't others?
What is "special" about this dam compared to say, the Elan Valley or Clywedog?

2 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

And I will repeat the questions:
If this dam deserves an on-site keeper they why don't others?
What is "special" about this dam compared to say, the Elan Valley or Clywedog?

Well I’m saying why not have staff onsite for all infrastructure like dams etc...they will need paying & a house etc but the cost would be easily covered if one failure was spotted & stopped. Time was when dams/waterworks/pumping stations/railway stations etc had a manager living on site. Maybe it’s time to return to this. 

14 hours ago, PaulD said:

My comment about Boyles law wasn't serious , apologies if it came over as criticism. I was going to add that Hell is having a cassette loo but didn't want to start another diversion.

Nay problem. The written word doesn't always express our frame of mind when writing :)

Just an idle observation, Talking to Hecla, the accountant view is quite clear, nothing in the budget to provided for a reservoir keeper. Yet had the keeper been there and not removed in 2012, the vegitation might not have grown on the slipway.The reservoir keeper used to divert flow away from the slipway and control reservoir levels as I understand. In fact basic good house keeping kept the Reservoir tidy and safe. It is difficult to say whether the emergency would have happened as it did, or even to a lesser extent, yet conditions would have been different. So was it was a false economy., in hindsight.

Now the  additional cost  such the evacuation measure and the expense of reconstruction in this once case will be an accountants nightmare. The knock on effect of reservoir inspections across the country will cause additional work and expense and hopefully something will be done.

But then it is possible they breed a pig in this district whose ariel skills rival that of a drone.

1 hour ago, furnessvale said:

What a sad individual you are.

This same facebook page has been the most reliable source of information for residents throughout the entire  emergency.

George

Your faith in Facebook is touching, if somewhat naïve. I'm happy with my cynicism and suspicions, both of which are firmly based on experience.

1 hour ago, BruceinSanity said:

Like the one on the Boeing 737 MAX, you mean? ?

That  did come to mind, yes. 

Conversing with  BA Systems employees on the subject of the Boeing Max software has been ... interesting ...  And of course both merely, and highly, speculative. 

20 hours ago, PaulD said:

My comment about Boyles law wasn't serious , apologies if it came over as criticism. I was going to add that Hell is having a cassette loo but didn't want to start another diversion.

Having a cassette is not hell but. not having a place to empty it. is!

50 minutes ago, Ray T said:

If you think the overflow at Whaley Bridge was bad.......

It’s impressive quite how much erosion power is behind a large body of water. Thanks for sharing :)

5 hours ago, Heartland said:

Just an idle observation, Talking to Hecla, the accountant view is quite clear, nothing in the budget to provided for a reservoir keeper. Yet had the keeper been there and not removed in 2012, the vegitation might not have grown on the slipway.The reservoir keeper used to divert flow away from the slipway and control reservoir levels as I understand. In fact basic good house keeping kept the Reservoir tidy and safe. It is difficult to say whether the emergency would have happened as it did, or even to a lesser extent, yet conditions would have been different. So was it was a false economy., in hindsight.

Now the  additional cost  such the evacuation measure and the expense of reconstruction in this once case will be an accountants nightmare. The knock on effect of reservoir inspections across the country will cause additional work and expense and hopefully something will be done.

But then it is possible they breed a pig in this district whose ariel skills rival that of a drone.

I seriously doubt that an on-site reservoir keeper would be allowed to clear such vegetation - needs a properly equipped team with safety harnesses etc.

Further, it is unlikely today that a resident reservoir keeper would be on duty 24/7/365 and my understanding is that matters came to a head rather quickly - no use having a resident if they are not there. Such cover requires at least a team of four, all fully trained and equipped. In today's context I would much rather go with having go remote monitoring and a very responsive command centre. Also, having a good water management model and system - again my guess, but I suspect that it will being having a significant update to the data at least for Toddbrook, if not for all CaRT reservoirs to give greater headroom without loss of service (more headroom means less capacity)