Whaley Bridge Evacuated

furnessvale

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

In 1864 a dam collapsed in Sheffield, just the other side of the Peak from Whaley Bridge. Although the structure was known to be in trouble, no evacuations were made in the valley below as they tried desperately to drain the water. Two hundred and fifty people died as a result. At least with this one they are taking no chances. Let us hope they succeed.

The Great Sheffield Flood.

Something to send to the next person who complains about regulations and 'elf'n'safety gone mad.

Jenny

In the same county (Derbyshire) as recently as 1984 the newly constructed dam at Carsington collapsed before they even before the new reservoir was filled with water

https://www.ice.org.uk/what-is-civil-engineering/what-do-civil-engineers-do/carsington-dam-reconstruction

Edited by Tim Lewis

20 minutes ago, Capella247 said:

Was he misquoted by the presenter - surely they need more money for maintenance? Why would he say otherwise? 

Her argument seemed to be:

"You've had all this money from the government. Why haven't you spent it on maintaining your reservoirs?"

Buxton Advertiser are providing live updates...

https://www.buxtonadvertiser.co.uk/news/toddbrook-reservoir-more-properties-evacuated-as-work-continues-on-whaley-bridge-dam-live-updates-1-9910245

Lee Rawlinson Environmental Agency Area Director for Greater Manchester, Merseyside and Cheshire.

Her argument seemed to be:

"You've had all this money from the government. Why haven't you spent it on maintaining your reservoirs?"

At a wild guess has it been spent on the new aspects CRT have become involved in such as ecology and preserving the paramecium on some backwater linked to the Montgomery Canal, or may be with the re-organisations that have probably diluted experience with in-experience.

I find it worrying that an Environment Agency notice is used to advise people of the danger, why could not the CRT do this or are they as they seem becoming a 9-5 organisation.

That such a reservoir remains of an importance to the Peak Forest and Macclesfield Canals has led to the closure notice being posted by CRT, but this notice is far too late. This should have been done as soon as the dam faults were noticed!

Priority must be given now to the dam repair, as well as to lower levels in the reservoir, which I assume are being done. If I recall BW did a lot of work on the dam prior to the CRT take over and the present high levels of rainfall are above the normal and this deluge has probably been the cause for this emergency.

Once this emergency is resolved, no doubt questions will be asked of CRT

Edited by Heartland

Even after the torrential downpours there have been, reservoirs surely don't go from safe to bursting in a few days?

Given that torrential rain and  flash floods are increasingly becoming part of our weather  doesn’t this smack of a certain lack of foresight somewhere? 

59 minutes ago, Heartland said:

find it worrying that an Environment Agency notice is used to advise people of the danger, why could not the CRT do this or are they as they seem becoming a 9-5 organisation

Because it’s the EA’s job to issue flood alerts.

54 minutes ago, dor said:

Chinooks now bring in one tonne bags of aggregate.  I wonder if the RAF will be sending CRT the bill?

Undoubtedly.

1 hour ago, starman said:

Even after the torrential downpours there have been, reservoirs surely don't go from safe to bursting in a few days?

Given that torrential rain and  flash floods are increasingly becoming part of our weather  doesn’t this smack of a certain lack of foresight somewhere? 

Actually, yes they do.

Toddbrook reservoir was fine, perfect structural integrity, and would have remained fine, just so long as the emergency spillway wasn't running (and it is a rare event for it to run). Once the spillway ran, a small defect allowed running water to start to scour the outer face of the dam. That is a rapidly escalating situation, and as soon as the surface fails, it creates ever more opportunity for the water to cause damage.

Interesting comment on the radio from the guy presently living in the old dam watcher's cottage that the overflow runoff channel was full of weeds and that they are now digging it out to get more water flow. Yes, only now maintaining this vital channel.

How did the vandals get up the spillway to plant those trees?

Is it time now for the heads at C&RT to roll?

Read more: http://thunderboat.boards.net/thread/5356/toddbrook-dam?page=10#ixzz5vRolmFBo

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

But as CART is a charity, and as this is an emergency, the bags of peabeach (or whatever) should be donated.

(I am actually not sure whether I think they should or not).

I'll send them an email telling them you said so....

18 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

It's a pity that this has happened to Whaley Bridge.It's one of my favourite stopping places,a first rate chippy,The Friary,and an excellent pub,The Goyt.Also the Peak Forest is a lovely stretch of canal.

Aye that's me cousins chippy!

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Been saying for years and years, that magical word, "Maintenance" You can't ignore it. 

Bring back Lengthsmen, direct employees and dare I say, British Waterways.

says a man whose boat is rotting away due to lack of maintenance

2 hours ago, dor said:

Chinooks now bring in one tonne bags of aggregate.  I wonder if the RAF will be sending CRT the bill?

There will be a bill, for Military Assistance to the Civil Power.   It comes from the MoD and goes to the requesting Ministry.  

In this case I guess DEFRA, but possibly Home Office as the requester.  Whether the bill  gets passed on eventually to CRT or the EA or the Council for Whaley Bridge will be interesting.

I doubt the cost of the bags of aggregate will be included, as I doubt the MOD  are buying those.   tProbably the assistance request was along the lines of "Move xx bags of aggregate from somewhere to the upper face of the dam, by suitable military helo."

N

16 minutes ago, BEngo said:

There will be a bill, for Military Assistance to the Civil Power.   It comes from the MoD and goes to the requesting Ministry.  

In this case I guess DEFRA, but possibly Home Office as the requester.  Whether the bill  gets passed on eventually to CRT or the EA or the Council for Whaley Bridge will be interesting.

I doubt the cost of the bags of aggregate will be included, as I doubt the MOD  are buying those.   tProbably the assistance request was along the lines of "Move xx bags of aggregate from somewhere to the upper face of the dam, by suitable military helo."

N

Bloody hell, my Parish Council precept is going to rocket!

George

Edited by furnessvale

We can be fairly sure that when the emergency is over the rebuild bill will come out of CRT's coffers as there is no surplus in boris' Brexit battle budget for such fripperies. 

Maybe CRT could apply for a European grant... Oh... Hang on... 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1