Whaley Bridge Evacuated

furnessvale

Featured Posts

19 minutes ago, canals are us? said:

I'm surprised by how thin the concrete is. Also cant see any rebar reinforcing the dam slabs and side wall. Seems the bank is what holds the water back with little in the way of concrete. I suspect the right wall separated from the dam concrete as no reinforcing and water got underneath through the crack. Hope they get it drained in time and everyone is safe.

James.

The water is held back by the earth dam. The concrete lining on the spillway is to stop the overspill from eroding the earth. So it doesn’t need to be thick, just watertight.

• Greenie 3

31 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

According to Google mapping (drawing a rough line around it) the surface area is about 123,000 square metres. 1000 litres in a cubic metre so 123 million litres to drop it by one metre so about 30 hours of pumping per metre drop (roughly, unless my maths is crap:huh:)

It also shows the joy of working in metric, how many gallons in a cubic yard???:wacko: (168.179 for those interested, try and work that out in your head, as was done with the metric figures)

The Americans measure reservoir capacity in acre feet!

1 minute ago, sirweste said:

The Sheps is raised up above the road a bit, but still if there was catastrophic failure I'm not sure it'd be safe

This situation must drive the police demented!

Still it'll be be told for millennia on dark winter nights around the bar; "Do you remember the time when the Sheps stuck it out till the end..."

It's a pity that this has happened to Whaley Bridge.It's one of my favourite stopping places,a first rate chippy,The Friary,and an excellent pub,The Goyt.Also the Peak Forest is a lovely stretch of canal.

• Greenie 1

Just now, Mad Harold said:

It's a pity that this has happened to Whaley Bridge.It's one of my favourite stopping places,a first rate chippy,The Friary,and an excellent pub,The Goyt.Also the Peak Forest is a lovely stretch of canal.

More to the point the Swizzells factory might get flooded....

On a serious note I do hope it all turns out well.....we love the area too 

Just now, roland elsdon said:

The 6500 people evacuation  has become 1400 ....

That's more or less the figure the bloke from the council suggested around 5PM. About 400 families

Richard

9 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Have read elsewhere that Marple and Bosley locks have been closed

I posted that almost 4 hours ago, They put the announcement out at 6pm officially, it was posted on here by Arthur an hour ago.

2 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

According to Google mapping (drawing a rough line around it) the surface area is about 123,000 square metres. 1000 litres in a cubic metre so 123 million litres to drop it by one metre so about 30 hours of pumping per metre drop (roughly, unless my maths is crap:huh:)

But that doesn't allow for water flowing in.